Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lubrication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

I have never seen this mentioned on the List before. What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces? Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc.
Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS 447
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
undoctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but personally I used spray silicone because it doesn't collect dirt and airborne particles.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

On 10/15/2014 10:08 PM, william sullivan wrote:

Quote:
  I have never seen this mentioned on the List before.  What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces?  Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc.

Bill Sullivan
                                                                           Windsor Locks, Ct.
                                                                            FS 447

Quote:

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

On bigger homebuilts, the recommendation is a non-greasy lube, so it won't catch & hold dirt in the pivot points.
Charlie On Oct 15, 2014 9:11 PM, "william sullivan" <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:[quote]  I have never seen this mentioned on the List before.  What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces?  Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc.
                                                                           Bill Sullivan
                                                                           Windsor Locks, Ct.
                                                                            FS 447
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

I use "zoom spout turbine oil" on my home built for everything but the hinges.  For the hinges I use some CRC spray lube, or something similar.  I haven't found anything that won't attract dirt, especially in the desert.  Maybe Larry Cottrell will chime in here with his expertise.  He is a "real" desert rat.

I don't know if I have a "bigger or smaller home built".   An RV8 is 24X21 and a MKIII is 30X23.5.  Yet a Bearhawk is 33X23.5.  I am in a dilemma.

john h
mkIII
Crawfordville, FL

On bigger homebuilts, the recommendation is a non-greasy lube, so it won't catch & hold dirt in the pivot points.
Charlie
On Oct 15, 2014 9:11 PM, "william sullivan" <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:
I have never seen this mentioned on the List before. What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces? Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc.

Bill Sullivan

Windsor Locks, Ct.

FS 447

Quote:
          - The Kolb-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
~<![if !supportFootnotes]><![endif]>
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Dennis Kirby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

<< What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces? Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc. Bill Sullivan >>

Bill / Kolb Friends -

For steel-on-steel pivot points (like the torque tubes) and for rod ends, I use ordinary 3-in-1 oil. For all the alum hinges, I use dry-moly lubricant, like what they sell in the bike shops for the insides of brake cables.

The dry lubricant will not collect dust and dirt. This is important for your hinges (which are aluminum), because grit in the hinge will quickly wear away the metal, with the constant motion of a moving hinge.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3 / 912ul
Sandia Park, New Mexico

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Lubrication Reply with quote

I use Teflon spray on almost everything because once the carrier evaporates the lubricant left behind is completely dry.

Rick Girard
do not archive
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:28 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I use "zoom spout turbine oil" on my home built for everything but the hinges.  For the hinges I use some CRC spray lube, or something similar.  I haven't found anything that won't attract dirt, especially in the desert.  Maybe Larry Cottrell will chime in here with his expertise.  He is a "real" desert rat.

I don't know if I have a "bigger or smaller home built".   An RV8 is 24X21 and a MKIII is 30X23.5.  Yet a Bearhawk is 33X23.5.  I am in a dilemma.

john h
mkIII
Crawfordville, FL

Charlie
On Oct 15, 2014 9:11 PM, "william sullivan" <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:
  I have never seen this mentioned on the List before.  What is the proper lubricant for all the control surfaces?  Stick and rudder pivot points, rod ends, hinges on wings and tail, etc.

Bill Sullivan

Windsor Locks, Ct.

FS 447

Quote:

Quote:
          - The Kolb-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
~

Quote:

--

Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it.
-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: