Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latex Paint Rolling Video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gliderx5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

I just finished a new video on applying latex paint with a roller. After the sanding and polishing process the results are nearly as good as spraying. Both methods, spraying and rolling have their advantages.

Spraying gives the best finish, it’s faster for big areas, and requires less sanding to smooth the orange peel. But, you need spray equipment and a paint booth the contain the over spray, and you need to mask parts that you don’t want painted.

Rolling is faster for smaller areas and requires no masking other than along edges, it needs no paint booth or equipment, there’s no over spray. But, it requires more sanding to remove the orange peel and while the result is quite good it’s probably not quite as good as spraying.

Have a look at the video and let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlxE3EFcCQ

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Malcom- Very nice, and very informative. I am going to forward this to a friend who does professional re-finishing on wood. Thanks.

Bill Sullivan
do not archive
--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 12/24/14, gliderx5(at)comcast.net <gliderx5(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video
To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 8:09 AM

I just finished a new video on applying
latex paint with a roller. After the sanding and polishing
process the results are nearly as good as spraying. Both
methods, spraying and rolling have their advantages. Spraying gives the best finish, it’s
faster for big areas, and requires less sanding to smooth
the orange peel. But, you need spray equipment and a paint
booth the contain the over spray, and you need to mask parts
that you don’t want painted. Rolling
is faster for smaller areas and requires no masking other
than along edges, it needs no paint booth or equipment,
there’s no over spray. But, it requires more sanding to
remove the orange peel and while the result is quite good
it’s probably not quite as good as spraying. Have a
look at the video and let me know what you think.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlxE3EFcCQ
 Merry Christmas Malcolm
Morrisonwww.wienerdogaero.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Interesting video , I know nothing about latex , but want to try it. Please permit a couple of
questions . #1 is the base cloth poly fiber ? If so is it glued to the airframe with Polly tack?# 2 what is the green coat , some sort of primer, or is it for UV protection or just to get the latex to stick to the cloth. #3 What about UV protection?
Thanks for the paint lesson--the poly fiber process is just too expensive if there are other options that will work . I think an old friend from many years ago ,Mike Makepiece from ElDorado
Arkansas--used bed sheets from Walmart with latex house paint to cover the Fisher Planes
that he built. Worked good on the light and slow Fishers.
A good Xmas to you and to all Kolbers.
Frank Goodnight

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2014, at 7:09 AM, gliderx5(at)comcast.net (gliderx5(at)comcast.net) wrote:
[quote]
I just finished a new video on applying latex paint with a roller. After the sanding and polishing process the results are nearly as good as spraying. Both methods, spraying and rolling have their advantages.

Spraying gives the best finish, it’s faster for big areas, and requires less sanding to smooth the orange peel. But, you need spray equipment and a paint booth the contain the over spray, and you need to mask parts that you don’t want painted.

Rolling is faster for smaller areas and requires no masking other than along edges, it needs no paint booth or equipment, there’s no over spray. But, it requires more sanding to remove the orange peel and while the result is quite good it’s probably not quite as good as spraying.

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:

===================================
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

matronics.com/contribution
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
cs.com

[b]

gliderx5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Frank
It's 1.8 oz peel ply from Aircraft Spruce, Stewarts EcoBond and/or 3M FastBond glue, Gliddon Gripper primer, the green is the other finish color, and latex has good UV protection. Please check out www.wienerdogaero.com for lots of info on latex painting for aircraft. There are more videos, slides, webinar, and pages of good stuff.

Thanks

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:51:05 AM
Subject: Re: Latex Paint Rolling Video
Interesting video , I know nothing about latex , but want to try it. Please permit a couple of
questions . #1 is the base cloth poly fiber ? If so is it glued to the airframe with Polly tack?# 2 what is the green coat , some sort of primer, or is it for UV protection or just to get the latex to stick to the cloth. #3 What about UV protection?
Thanks for the paint lesson--the poly fiber process is just too expensive if there are other options that will work . I think an old friend from many years ago ,Mike Makepiece from ElDorado
Arkansas--used bed sheets from Walmart with latex house paint to cover the Fisher Planes
Frank Goodnight

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2014, at 7:09 AM, gliderx5(at)comcast.net (gliderx5(at)comcast.net) wrote:

Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:

==========
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

==========
==========
cs.com
==========

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Thanks for the response .
Frank
Do not archive

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:06 AM, gliderx5(at)comcast.net (gliderx5(at)comcast.net) wrote:
[quote]Frank
It's 1.8 oz peel ply from Aircraft Spruce, Stewarts EcoBond and/or 3M FastBond glue, Gliddon Gripper primer, the green is the other finish color, and latex has good UV protection. Please check out www.wienerdogaero.com for lots of info on latex painting for aircraft. There are more videos, slides, webinar, and pages of good stuff.

Thanks

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

From: "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>
To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:51:05 AM
questions . #1 is the base cloth poly fiber ? If so is it glued to the airframe with Polly tack?# 2 what is the green coat , some sort of primer, or is it for UV protection or just to get the latex to stick to the cloth. #3 What about UV protection?
Frank Goodnight

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:

==========
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

==========
==========
cs.com
==========

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

Quote:

ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

cs.com

[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Homer Kolb used plastic to cover his early hang gliders, but I doubt he would use bed sheets today, if he were still with us.  Would not recommend that material in lieu of Polyester Dacron.

Since fabric covering for our airplanes is a critical component, I would not deviate in any way from the factory recommended method of covering and processing.

Of course, this is my own personal opinion, and my own ass when I am up there and at the mercy of Murphy and gravity.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frank Goodnight
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:51 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

Frank Goodnight
Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:
==========ctric.com>www.buildersbooks.comuilthelp.comotstore.com matronics.com/contribution==========
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Montano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

What about UV protection

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:14 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] 1024x768 <![endif]--> Clean false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Homer Kolb used plastic to cover his early hang gliders, but I doubt he would use bed sheets today, if he were still with us. Would not recommend that material in lieu of Polyester Dacron.

Since fabric covering for our airplanes is a critical component, I would not deviate in any way from the factory recommended method of covering and processing.

Of course, this is my own personal opinion, and my own ass when I am up there and at the mercy of Murphy and gravity.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Frank Goodnight
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks for the paint lesson--the poly fiber process is just too expensive if there are other options that will work . I think an old friend from many years ago ,Mike Makepiece from ElDorado

Frank Goodnight
Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:
==========ctric.com>www.buildersbooks.comuilthelp.comotstore.com matronics.com/contribution==========
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
[b]

gliderx5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Joe

There's a link on www.wienerdogaero.com, under latex, history, on "UV and Latex" that takes you to some research on the subject. Bottom line is that latex does a good job.

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:55:39 AM
What about UV protection
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:14 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Homer Kolb used plastic to cover his early hang gliders, but I doubt he would use bed sheets today, if he were still with us. Would not recommend that material in lieu of Polyester Dacron.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Frank Goodnight

Thanks for the paint lesson--the poly fiber process is just too expensive if there are other options that will work . I think an old friend from many years ago ,Mike Makepiece from ElDorado

Frank Goodnight
Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
uilthelp.com

[quote][b]

smlplanet(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Thank you for your post on latex paint.  I painted mine in 04 with latex and caught so much flack from members of the Challenger  site for using latex and I didn't know what I was doing. Needless to say I stopped any contact with the site...no need for closed minds and know it all's. As I said I spray painted it in 04 and used a clear coat over the latex. Other than where I ran out of clear coat it still look good and the color faded some with no clear coat. 

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:59:28 +0000

Joe

There's a link on www.wienerdogaero.com, under latex, history, on "UV and Latex" that takes you to some research on the subject. Bottom line is that latex does a good job.

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

What about UV protection
Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Homer Kolb used plastic to cover his early hang gliders, but I doubt he would use bed sheets today, if he were still with us.  Would not recommend that material in lieu of Polyester Dacron.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Latex Paint Rolling Video

questions . #1 is the base cloth poly fiber ? If so is it glued to the airframe with Polly tack?# 2 what is the green coat , some sort of primer, or is it for UV protection or just to get the latex to stick to the cloth. #3 What about UV protection?

A good Xmas to you and to all Kolbers.

Frank Goodnight
Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:
  ==========ctric.com>www.buildersbooks.comuilthelp.comotstore.com matronics.com/contribution========== 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
uilthelp.com

Quote:
otstore.com

[quote][b]

mojavjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

what product did you use for the clear coat

Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:41:07 PM
Subject: RE: Latex Paint Rolling Video

Thank you for your post on latex paint. I painted mine in 04 with latex and caught so much flack from members of the Challenger  site for using latex and I didn't know what I was doing. Needless to say I stopped any contact with the site...no need for closed minds and know it all's. As I said I spray painted it in 04 and used a clear coat over the latex. Other than where I ran out of clear coat it still look good and the color faded some with no clear coat.

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:59:28 +0000

Joe

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

What about UV protection

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Frank Goodnight

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:
==========ctric.com
>www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com
otstore.com
==========
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
==========
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
ctric.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
>www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
Quote:
uilthelp.com
uilthelp.com

Quote:
otstore.com

Quote:
otstore.com

[quote][b]

baberdk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

I use exterior latex because I was told exterior paint has higher UV protection.Respectfully,
Dennis Baber
Lord keep an arm around my shoulder
And a hand over my mouth

[quote][b]

alienwes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

How can one tell what type of coating was used? Does it look different in some way? The reason being, if you buy a plane from someone who is not the original builder they may not know.

Tony Vitiello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Very nice video. Would rolling work with other coatings as well? I've sprayed automotive paint and the results are good but I see the benefits of not spraying.

Just curious as I don't know much about latex at this point but I like the process.

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

? For someone that knows how to use latex house paint. A friend bought. my Firestar 2
last year. Now it needs a patch or 2 also he would like to change the color of the tail.
If he just rolls on latex over the poly fiber process that the plane is covered with, will that work
Or will he need to strip the poly down to the fabric and start the latex from there?
Thanks Frank

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 29, 2014, at 9:18 AM, "Tony Vitiello" <tony(at)tgrankin.com> wrote:

Quote:

Very nice video. Would rolling work with other coatings as well? I've sprayed automotive paint and the results are good but I see the benefits of not spraying.

Just curious as I don't know much about latex at this point but I like the process.

--------
Tony Vitiello
St. Louis, MO

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=436390#436390

gliderx5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Frank,

I've applied latex over other paints (dope and unknown products) with success. I would recommend scrubbing the surface with a Scotchbrite pad and solvent like Naptha or MEK to remove any wax and contaminates to prepare it for new paint.

and Tony,

I've rolled dope on a Piper Pawnee. It came out okay with lots of "orange peel" but I did not try sanding it.

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 10:30:19 AM
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Re: Latex Paint Rolling Video
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net>
? For someone that knows how to use latex house paint. A friend bought. my Firestar 2
last year. Now it needs a patch or 2 also he would like to change the color of the tail.
If he just rolls on latex over the poly fiber process that the plane is covered with, will that work
Or will he need to strip the poly down to the fabric and start the latex from there?
Thanks Frank
Sent from my iPad
On Dec 29, 2014, at 9:18 AM, "Tony Vitiello" <tony(at)tgrankin.com> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Tony Vitiello" <tony(at)tgrankin.com>

--------
Tony Vitiello
St. Louis, MO

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=436390#436390

< -Matt =======================

[quote][b]

mojavjoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

I'm going to spray my side by side with latex and have been looking for a clear coat product that wound be compatible with latex. Thought of varnishes, too hard, some of the stuff used by crafters (don't know if they will stand up to rain and sunlight), Valspar used to make a clear latex but I can't find it listed any longer. Skybiker used a clear coat in 04 and said that it still looked good. Malcolm do you know what he used, or do you or anyone on the list know of a good clear coat.
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:09:07 AM

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:

ic.com/" target=_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
arget=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
lank>www.homebuilthelp.com
lank>www.mypilotstore.com
www.mrrace.com
//www.matronics.com/contribution" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
lb-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
; http://forums.matronics.com
=============

[quote][b]

gliderx5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

mojavejoe,

I know a few builders have used, or are currently experimenting with clear coats, but I don't know which products. Maybe someone else on the list knows. It would sure make is easier to get a glossy finish if it works. For my dusty workshop however I think I would still have to sand and polish to get the glassy, smooth finish that I'm getting now.

Anyone else know about latex clear coats?

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogareo.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:17:07 AM
I'm going to spray my side by side with latex and have been looking for a clear coat product that wound be compatible with latex. Thought of varnishes, too hard, some of the stuff used by crafters (don't know if they will stand up to rain and sunlight), Valspar used to make a clear latex but I can't find it listed any longer. Skybiker used a clear coat in 04 and said that it still looked good. Malcolm do you know what he used, or do you or anyone on the list know of a good clear coat.
Subject: Kolb-List: Latex Paint Rolling Video

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:

www.mrrace.com
//www.matronics.com/contribution" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
=============

Quote:

_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
" target="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.mypilotstore.com">www.mypilotstore.com
ank" data-mce-href="http://www.mrrace.com">www.mrrace.com
_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ta-mce-href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

My  Mini Max was finished with Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 ..base /clear and it was as good as any paint job I have ever seen...better than most ..  Very glossy and deep looking... Sadly the plane is sitting in an open hanger in the Carolina's now with an inch of dirt on it..!! 

I notice that gallons of various base colors are available on Ebay for 250 a gallon...So, If one is not too particular about the color...it might be that the products could be bought for 500 to 700 dollars to finish a Kolb?

Looking at Sherwin William's site...I did no see anything about plasticizers...but I was told by the builder of my Max that he used them... Herb

On 12/30/2014 09:15 AM, gliderx5(at)comcast.net (gliderx5(at)comcast.net) wrote:

[quote] mojavejoe,

I know a few builders have used, or are currently experimenting with clear coats, but I don't know which products. Maybe someone else on the list knows. It would sure make is easier to get a glossy finish if it works. For my dusty workshop however I think I would still have to sand and polish to get the glassy, smooth finish that I'm getting now.

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogareo.com

To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com> (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

I'm going to spray my side by side with latex and have been looking for a clear coat product that wound be compatible with latex. Thought of varnishes, too hard, some of the stuff used by crafters (don't know if they will stand up to rain and sunlight), Valspar used to make a clear latex but I can't find it listed any longer. Skybiker used a clear coat in 04 and said that it still looked good. Malcolm do you know what he used, or do you or anyone on the list know of a good clear coat.

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Quote:

www.mrrace.com
=============

Quote:

" target="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Quote:

[b]

pcarillonsr(at)neo.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

On 12/30/2014 9:17 AM, mojavjoe(at)comcast.net (mojavjoe(at)comcast.net) wrote:

Quote:
I'm going to spray my side by side with latex and have been looking for a clear coat product that wound be compatible with latex. Thought of varnishes, too hard, some of the stuff used by crafters (don't know if they will stand up to rain and sunlight), Valspar used to make a clear latex but I can't find it listed any longer. Skybiker used a clear coat in 04 and said that it still looked good. Malcolm do you know what he used, or do you or anyone on the list know of a good clear coat. - The Kolb-List Email Forum - FAQ, href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

Kolbers, before I retired I worked as a commercial painter and vinyl hanger for a commercial  contractor.  There were times we needed a very smooth finish on walls or trim with latex paint and we added a product that is called Floetrol made by the  Flood Company in Ohio,  it would allow the paint to flow out smooth as it dried.  Also as to getting a clear coat check with Sherwin Williams and check on a product called DTM Acrylic and ask for their UTRA DEEP BASE.   It is a  CLEAR BASE   that is used to mix very deep colors.  You can buy it in semi-gloss and also gloss.  Just get it without any color added.  Will not yellow over time as oil base varnishes do.  I've never checked but  you could also check to see if their house paints have a clear base for deep colors.

Jack Carillon    1994  FSII Akron OH.
[quote][b]

gliderx5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Latex Paint Rolling Video Reply with quote

Herb

It appears that Ultra 7000 is a solvent based paint, is quite expensive, and I doubt you would want to apply it with a roller. I'm sure that it would give you a superior gloss, but the reasons for using latex are cost ($50/gallon) and non-toxocity (can paint in your basement).

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogaero.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:48:25 AM
My Mini Max was finished with Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 ..base /clear and it was as good as any paint job I have ever seen...better than most .. Very glossy and deep looking... Sadly the plane is sitting in an open hanger in the Carolina's now with an inch of dirt on it..!!

I notice that gallons of various base colors are available on Ebay for 250 a gallon...So, If one is not too particular about the color...it might be that the products could be bought for 500 to 700 dollars to finish a Kolb?

Looking at Sherwin William's site...I did no see anything about plasticizers...but I was told by the builder of my Max that he used them... Herb

On 12/30/2014 09:15 AM, gliderx5(at)comcast.net (gliderx5(at)comcast.net) wrote:

Quote:
mojavejoe,

Malcolm Morrison

www.wienerdogareo.com

I'm going to spray my side by side with latex and have been looking for a clear coat product that wound be compatible with latex. Thought of varnishes, too hard, some of the stuff used by crafters (don't know if they will stand up to rain and sunlight), Valspar used to make a clear latex but I can't find it listed any longer. Skybiker used a clear coat in 04 and said that it still looked good. Malcolm do you know what he used, or do you or anyone on the list know of a good clear coat.
Subject: Kolb-List: Latex Paint Rolling Video

Merry Christmas

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com
Quote:

www.mrrace.com
=============

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: