Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repairing a kinked boom tube.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flymikey1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

I purchased my MK II with a bent tube and one bent landing gear. The tube was bent behind the H truss. I chose to replace the tube rather than repair it. if the H truss is bent replace it otherwise you can reuse it and the tail post truss. it is fairly simple to match drill the holes with a template. you can purchase a new tube from Travis, for under $500. I spent 35 years as a machinist and 13 years of that was in a mechanical engineering shop in the Aerospace industry. I learned about metal properties from the “rocket scientists” I worked with. My experience tell me to replace not repair. Stand on an empty pop can that has no dents in it. it will support your weight. Put a little dent in it and it will collapse. Just my opinion.
Michael Velemirov
Mk II
N5067R
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

My hat is off to anyone that could match drill a Kolb tail boom to reuse an H brace!

Was difficult for me to accomplish with new H braces.  Over the years installed 13 on my three Kolbs, if I counted correctly.  Not easy when on runs out of fingers.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Michael Velemirov
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:51 AM
To: Kolb-List Digest Server
Subject: RE: Repairing a kinked boom tube.

I purchased my MK II with a bent tube and one bent landing gear. The tube was bent behind the H truss. I chose to replace the tube rather than repair it. if the H truss is bent replace it otherwise you can reuse it and the tail post truss. it is fairly simple to match drill the holes with a template. you can purchase a new tube from Travis, for under $500. I spent 35 years as a machinist and 13 years of that was in a mechanical engineering shop in the Aerospace industry. I learned about metal properties from the “rocket scientists” I worked with. My experience tell me to replace not repair. Stand on an empty pop can that has no dents in it. it will support your weight. Put a little dent in it and it will collapse. Just my opinion.

Michael Velemirov

Mk II

N5067R
Quote:
          - The Kolb-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

I have used 1/16th thick lexan strips to match hole..making sure one  has  a tight fit with the thru bolt hole before starting... 

By the way...I bought a bunch of scratch and dent 5 inch tubes from TNK some years back..Perfectly good...the factory could not sell anything but perfect tubes so they had a trailer full of these in 6 and 5 inch... Cannot imagine shipping them...but would gladly sell them for half retail to anyone who wants to pick them up...South cent Ky

I also have a set of Firefly spars...but all the holes are drilled for I replaced them when I went to the single lift strut wing as is on the Firestar...   could be a match hole nightmare...but doable...If I had a hole off by a bit...I would go to the next size rivet..

400 bucks!! Wow!!  And I know Travis ain't making a bunch on them...Wish I had bought the whole trailer load...!! 

By the way...have my Firefly secured on a U storage lot in Conn....hoping to get it by end of March...

and....I am rebuilding the Firestar wings that Bro Richard  gave to me....Seriously thinking about trying them on the Fly... Smile

On 01/24/2015 10:12 AM, John Hauck wrote:

[quote] 1024x768 <![endif]--> Clean false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
My hat is off to anyone that could match drill a Kolb tail boom to reuse an H brace!

Was difficult for me to accomplish with new H braces.  Over the years installed 13 on my three Kolbs, if I counted correctly.  Not easy when on runs out of fingers.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Michael Velemirov

I purchased my MK II with a bent tube and one bent landing gear.  The tube was bent behind the H truss.  I chose to replace the tube rather than repair it.  if the H truss is bent replace it otherwise you can reuse it and the tail post truss.  it is fairly simple to match drill the holes with a template.  you can purchase a new tube from Travis, for under $500.  I spent 35 years as a  machinist and 13 years of that was in a mechanical engineering shop in the Aerospace industry.  I learned about metal properties from the “rocket scientists”  I worked with.    My experience tell me to replace not repair.  Stand on an empty pop can that has no dents in it.  it will support your weight. Put a little dent in it and it will collapse.  Just my opinion.

Michael Velemirov

Mk II

N5067R

Quote:
            - The Kolb-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
4 [b]

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

I replaced the boom tube on my original Firestar with a new one from Travis. I don't remember the cost, but at the time it was reasonable- aluminum prices vary widely from time to time. It showed up well packaged, within about a week. I strapped down the old tube, and got a height center on the rivets with a square and a tape measure. I drew a pen line horizontally on the new tube. I then took a circular saw and cut templates from the old tube, clamped them in place ( a right and left upper quarter, well marked for front, rear, top, and bottom) and drilled through the old holes. The old H brace went right in, all holes lining up perfectly. I did the same for the tail. Just make sure to de-burr both the templates and the new holes.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS, 447

undoctor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

I kinked the boom tube on my UltraSrar in a rough landing from an engine out. I got a scratch and dent and H brace from Homer. Rather than re-do the tail feathers I cut the tube a foot fore the tail and cut the new tube to exactly match the length of the rest of the boom. 

After installing the H brace and the new boom tube into the ring, I cut a 1' piece from the old tube, cut a kerf end to end which allowed me to reduce the diameter of the piece so that I could rubber mallet into the two ends of the original and new boom tube sections. 

Then I rivited both sides of the splice to the boom tube to make it "one"  I also smeared adhesive on the kerfed coupling to assure it didn't begin to move. 

I have some pix of the process.  If you'd care to see them email me off list. 

Spoke with some experts in metals who assured me it was likely stronger than original at the splice. 

Worked for me. Your fix is your choice, of course.  

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date:01/24/2015 11:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Kolb-List: RE: Repairing a kinked boom tube.

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Michael Velemirov
Subject: Kolb-List: RE: Repairing a kinked boom tube.

Michael Velemirov
Mk II
N5067R

- The Kolb-List Email Forum -
--> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
- MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
--> http://forums.matronics.com
- List Contribution Web Site -
Thank you for your generous support!
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
--> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Repairing a kinked boom tube. Reply with quote

a very knowledgeable fellow with Kolbs...going back to the early days...sometimes on this list...indicated that what you did was perfectly good..

I would not be concerned  with the same or similar splice on the inboard end of the main spar...inboard of the lift strut...

The trouble comes when one is ready to sell...disclosing these types of fixes, as we must,  is sure to kill the sale..!

Herb

On 01/24/2015 12:00 PM, undoctor wrote:

[quote] I kinked the boom tube on my UltraSrar in a rough landing from an engine out. I got a scratch and dent and H brace from Homer. Rather than re-do the tail feathers I cut the tube a foot fore the tail and cut the new tube to exactly match the length of the rest of the boom. 

After installing the H brace and the new boom tube into the ring, I cut a 1' piece from the old tube, cut a kerf end to end which allowed me to reduce the diameter of the piece so that I could rubber mallet into the two ends of the original and new boom tube sections. 

Then I rivited both sides of the splice to the boom tube to make it "one"  I also smeared adhesive on the kerfed coupling to assure it didn't begin to move. 

I have some pix of the process.  If you'd care to see them email me off list. 

Spoke with some experts in metals who assured me it was likely stronger than original at the splice. 

Worked for me. Your fix is your choice, of course.  

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date:01/24/2015 11:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: RE: Repairing a kinked boom tube.

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Michael Velemirov

I purchased my MK II with a bent tube and one bent landing gear.  The tube was bent behind the H truss.  I chose to replace the tube rather than repair it.  if the H truss is bent replace it otherwise you can reuse it and the tail post truss.  it is fairly simple to match drill the holes with a template.  you can purchase a new tube from Travis, for under $500.  I spent 35 years as a  machinist and 13 years of that was in a mechanical engineering shop in the Aerospace industry.  I learned about metal properties from the “rocket scientists”  I worked with.    My experience tell me to replace not repair.  Stand on an empty pop can that has no dents in it.  it will support your weight. Put a little dent in it and it will collapse.  Just my opinion.

Michael Velemirov

Mk II

N5067R

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
4 ���~���,�g���M4�G�q���z����.�'�8*�[.+-f��Z+�`��axƭ���r���^j۫z�Z�(�������Ƕ�j|���n�)b�'���!j���'�+����ب�r�y'���C� 塧{ ����,x(Z�P���!j���ٮr�r��j�|���� &j��',r��5�h��%l���m���� ���'���o�j��j�+*�[.+-�0�8�Ia�T1 jg���r��z{Z�����i�^�&���lZ+�k�y����+�k&j��',r������+�k&j��',r��h��B�{k������y�������ʋ����������.��+����jY^.+-٢����i��0�f����r�(��(���n�b�xm���� &j��',r��r���&�*'���'��k{��w/�tml=[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: