Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail wheel fairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Gents,

If there is anyone who has some pics of the stock tail wheel fairing installed in conjunction w/ the Singleton Tail Wheel Mod, I’d be most obliged to have a look at them…showing in particular how the fairing fits with the 3/8” thick aluminum fork which restricts the tail wheel swivel.

Fred

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
dpark748(at)icloud.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Midnight here will look tomorrow💤 I have converted to trike but may still have the fairing.
Regards Dave

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Jan 2015, at 22:51, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

Gents,

If there is anyone who has some pics of the stock tail wheel fairing installed in conjunction w/ the Singleton Tail Wheel Mod, I’d be most obliged to have a look at them…showing in particular how the fairing fits with the 3/8” thick aluminum fork which restricts the tail wheel swivel.

Fred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

alan.twigg775(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Anyone else? I have a home for one in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 28 Jan 2015, at 00:19, david park <dpark748(at)icloud.com> wrote:

Midnight here will look tomorrow💤 I have converted to trike but may still have the fairing.
Regards Dave

Sent from my iPad

> On 27 Jan 2015, at 22:51, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Gents,
>
> If there is anyone who has some pics of the stock tail wheel fairing installed in conjunction w/ the Singleton Tail Wheel Mod, I’d be most obliged to have a look at them…showing in particular how the fairing fits with the 3/8” thick aluminum fork which restricts the tail wheel swivel.
>
> Fred

dpark748(at)icloud.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Fred here are pis of my old one
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 28 Jan 2015, at 07:26, alan.twigg775(at)gmail.com wrote:

Anyone else? I have a home for one in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28 Jan 2015, at 00:19, david park <dpark748(at)icloud.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Midnight here will look tomorrow💤 I have converted to trike but may still have the fairing.
> Regards Dave
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 27 Jan 2015, at 22:51, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Gents,
>>
>> If there is anyone who has some pics of the stock tail wheel fairing installed in conjunction w/ the Singleton Tail Wheel Mod, I’d be most obliged to have a look at them…showing in particular how the fairing fits with the 3/8” thick aluminum fork which restricts the tail wheel swivel.
>>
>> Fred

====================================

Quote:

<pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  669.76 KB
 Viewed:  6031 Time(s)

image1.JPG

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

David…Thank you so much for sending this…your pix shows clearly the extent to which the fairing needs additional cutting away in order to accommodate the Singleton aluminum fork.

All...I don’t mean to stretch my luck, but I’m going to ask if anyone has a pix of the tail wheel fairing in conjunction w/ the Singleton Mod as it appears when installed on the mono wheel?

(I’m trying to get a visual sense of the extent to which the effectiveness of the fairing is compromised by the additional Singleton hardware, and whether or not the effort to model a different design for the fairing is justified…and BTW, I’m aware I’m at the stage when one may be susceptible to the perversion of deferring completion by adding unnecessary tasks.)

Fred
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, at 5:53 AM, david park <dpark748(at)icloud.com> wrote:

Fred here are pis of my old one
<image1.JPG>
Sent from my iPad

>>>
>>> Gents,
>>>
>>> If there is anyone who has some pics of the stock tail wheel fairing installed in conjunction w/ the Singleton Tail Wheel Mod, I’d be most obliged to have a look at them…showing in particular how the fairing fits with the 3/8” thick aluminum fork which restricts the tail wheel swivel.
>>>
>>> Fred
>

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Fred,
Attached is a picture of my tail wheel. This is the standard XS tailwheel with the addition of a home made copy of the Singleton Y stop. I have since removed the fairing as it has been damaged very quickly by projection of stones when flying from dirt strips. No measurable effect on cruise performances.
Remi
F-PGKL

PA070014a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  664.16 KB
 Viewed:  6007 Time(s)

PA070014a.jpg

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Fred,

Ours looks like the others too. We also took it off since it got damaged getting into and out of our hangar.

We did discover Stone Guard which is a clear, heavy tape to protect the front. You can find it at sign, auto body and utility trailer shops. It is a 3M product designed to protect the front of utility trailers.

Jim & Heather

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Tail wheel fairing Reply with quote

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, at 12:32 AM, Remi Guerner <air.guerner(at)orange.fr (air.guerner(at)orange.fr)> wrote:
I have since removed the fairing as it has been damaged very quickly by projection of stones when flying from dirt strips. No measurable effect on cruise performances.

Thanks Remiit sounds like your experience is a common oneperhaps the best use of the tail wheel fairing is to keep it in a pouch in the baggage area and install it when being judged at an airshow or for picture-taking.

Not surprising that youve found it to have no measurable effect on cruise performanceon an airframe as sleek and slick as the Europa, I suspect that only major improvements such as Nigel Grahams marvelous cowling will show measurable effects at cruise.

On the other hand, in the spirit of the definition of an airplane as 20,000 compromises flying in close formation, perhaps every little bit helps.

Fred

PS: Thanks to all for responses to my post on this topic.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: