Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Solenoid behavior with low Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radioflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Starter Solenoid behavior with low Battery Reply with quote

Recently my battery fell below 11 volts and so it could not provide enough power to completely turn over my engine. What surprised me more than the low battery was that after switching off my master and then switching it back on again, the starter attempted to turn the engine. Wow, the master isn't supposed to control the starter solenoid!
After charging the battery, the master and starter switches returned to normal operation and the engine started perfectly many times. All was good and I eventually figured out why my battery discharged. However, that still left me wondering how the master switch could possibly activate the starter solenoid without my pushing the start switch. My theory is that the low voltage only partially (weekly) engaged the starter solenoid spring and therefore the spring didn't exert full force to open the solenoid after it was de-energized. I'm not yet ready to conclude that the starter solenoid is actually defective. Anybody also experienced this?
--Jose

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
dfilkins(at)impulse.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Starter Solenoid behavior with low Battery Reply with quote

At that low voltage the starter became a short because the armature was not turning. No back EMF. The starter solenoid may have welded the contacts and the internal spring was unable to push the contacts apart. I suggest you change the starter solenoid. I had this happen on my orchard wind machine,

Dale

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Solenoid behavior with low Battery Reply with quote

Cranking the engine with a low battery is very hard on the starter contactor because the contacts are not held tightly closed. The contacts arc and weld closed. Replace the starter contactor.
Joe

racerjerry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Solenoid behavior with low Battery Reply with quote

Cessna Pilots Association (CPA) has recently uncovered a common error where starter contactors are sometimes installed upside down and where the weight of the plunger is working against plunger return spring. Contactors should always be installed with the case swaged lip facing DOWN. Terminal Studs should be nearer the bottom of the contactor, rather than the top. Unfortunately, some new contactors are appearing with labels inverted, which adds to the problem.

Even with the case lip facing down, CPA suggests adding sealant around the case perimeter at the lip to keep moisture out.

Ref: CPA Magazine, April 2015, p.47

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: