Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ammeter shunt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klolson(at)wwestsky.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: ammeter shunt Reply with quote

Hello,
I’m installing Dynon’s Flight DEK D180. The instructions show the ammeter shunt installed in one of three locations on the positive side of the system. Taking a page from AeroElectric Connection book, I asked tech support if I could install the shunt on the ground side of the battery. I’m not getting a cogent answer. Is there any reason I cannot install the shunt on the ground side or is there something going on in the inside the D180 “box” that won’t allow this?
Thanks,
Ken
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: ammeter shunt Reply with quote

Ken,
The current flow coming out of the positive terminal is equal to the flow going back in to the negative terminal so the shunt really doesn't care.

HOWEVER
Without seeing a diagram of your proposed installation, it's hard to provide more analysis, but here are some things to consider:

There are several legitimate places to put a shunt in an electrical system. If you are considering, for lack of a better term, a "battery" shunt, which measures current flow into & out of the battery, consider this.
The starter circuit is not typically run thru the shunt. So when wiring a shunt in the conventional way, it is usually put down-stream of the starter.

If you put the shunt in the big negative wire, it will see starter current. Something you probably do not want.
There are other issues with ground return paths that might get complicated... ( and require a lot of typing Wink

Now the big question: Why are you considering this?
-Jeff

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:16 AM, Ken Olson <klolson(at)wwestsky.net> wrote:

Hello,
I’m installing Dynon’s Flight DEK D180. The instructions show the ammeter shunt installed in one of three locations on the positive side of the system. Taking a page from AeroElectric Connection book, I asked tech support if I could install the shunt on the ground side of the battery. I’m not getting a cogent answer. Is there any reason I cannot install the shunt on the ground side or is there something going on in the inside the D180 “box” that won’t allow this?
Thanks,
Ken

Quote:

ronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
ronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jdubner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: ammeter shunt Reply with quote

Ken,

Short and simple: Don't do it. Here's why:

1. You didn't mention what type of airplane you have but there's a good chance
it has a starter. The starter current will have to go through it. Chances are
also good that the shunt isn't rated for more than 50-100A.

2. The shunt will be a additional point of failure for the battery system (like
the battery ground cable, but in addition to it). Flight without a battery
ground connection will be a lot "less good" than flight without, say, an
alternator B-lead connection.

I've been very satisfied with the ammeter shunt located in my RV-8A's alternator
B-lead output. It shows only the output of the alternator, which is what I care
about (although I can appreciate that you may feel differently). The downside
of this location is the requirement for protection of the wires from the shunt
to the instrument but that's easily handled with fusible links.

--
Joe
Independence, OR
Ken Olson wrote, On 4/30/2015 09:01:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm installing Dynon's Flight DEK D180. The instructions show the ammeter
shunt installed in one of three locations on the positive side of the
system. Taking a page from AeroElectric Connection book, I asked tech
support if I could install the shunt on the ground side of the battery. I'm
not getting a cogent answer. Is there any reason I cannot install the shunt
on the ground side or is there something going on in the inside the D180
"box" that won't allow this?

Thanks,

Ken

user9253

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: ammeter shunt Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks,
Ken

The D-180 does not care where the shunt is located or what the polarity is. If the D-180 ammeter display has the wrong polarity, then just switch the 2 small ammeter sensor wires. As others have pointed out, the shunt should NOT be in the starter circuit because it is not rated for starter current and because starter performance will be degraded.
Here is a quote from the Dynon D-180 installation manual:
Quote:
Note that the ammeter shunt is not designed for the high current required by the starter and must
not be installed in the electrical path between the battery and starter.

Joe

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: ammeter shunt Reply with quote

At 06:36 2015-05-01, you wrote:

Quote:
Hello,

Say you DO put it in the (-) side of the battery . . .
how would you use the information presented?

Ammeters are pretty worthless in the cockpit.
They WERE originally installed as a go/no-go
indicator of system performance. The zero
center, un-calibrated instruments were
battery-ammeter clones of the instruments
found in cars. As long as the needle was at
or above 'zero' all was right with the
universe.

[img]cid:.0[/img]

If your DEK180 has a voltage display
function . . . and better yet, a low volts
warning function, the usefulness of the
panel mounted ammeter as a flight management
instrument goes to zero.

If you become aware of a low voltage condition
that mitigates with reduction in load, then
the alternator is CRIPPLED and you reduce loads
to keep voltage at or above battery discharge
level of 12.5 volts. If no mitigation is
possible, alternator is CRAPPED and your
plans are necessarily modified.

Values of CURRENT under all conditions
of flight are predictable and should be known
as part of your load analysis and system design
goals. The idea that having a continuously
monitored current will assist with a aw-S%$T-
flip-a-switch situation in the cockpit is
unrealistic and easily replaced with PLAN-B
that calls for flipping at most 2 switches
with predictable result that does not depend
on an ammeter for confirmation.

Recommend you put the shunt in the alternator
b-lead. That will be most useful as a GROUND
diagnostics tool AFTER plan-b got you comfortably
on the ground.

Bob . . .

52f5e94.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.91 KB
 Viewed:  4591 Time(s)

52f5e94.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: