Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handainc(at)madisoncounty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Bob -
Here is the wiring diagram that Mark is planning on using on his Pacer. Let me know what you think of it and changes that you suggest.

M. Haught
Quote:
Begin forwarded message:

Quote:

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Pacer_wiring_3.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pacer_wiring_3.doc
 Filesize:  33 KB
 Downloaded:  450 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

When the avionics switch fails, all avionics will be lost. I recommend not having an avionics switch. If the builder insists on an avionics switch, then I suggest having a redundant current path.
Joe

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob -

Here is the wiring diagram that Mark is planning on using on his Pacer. Let me know what you think of it and changes that you suggest.

M. Haught

Quote:
Begin forwarded message

Didn't get much . . . the .doc file displays
only a small portion of the total.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

There should have been 4 or 5 files, each one a section of the whole drawing. I will try to send it again.
M. Haught
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Bob - Here is the wiring diagram that Mark is planning on using on his Pacer. Let me know what you think of it and changes that you suggest. M. Haught
Quote:
Begin forwarded message
Didn't get much . . . the .doc file displays only a small portion of the total.
Bob . . .
Quote:

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Okay, I have attached the four files. We will see if they come through.

M. Haught

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Bob - Here is the wiring diagram that Mark is planning on using on his Pacer. Let me know what you think of it and changes that you suggest. M. Haught
Quote:
Begin forwarded message
Didn't get much . . . the .doc file displays only a small portion of the total.
Bob . . .
Quote:

Pacer_wiring_1.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pacer_wiring_1.doc
 Filesize:  34 KB
 Downloaded:  466 Time(s)

Pacer_wiring_2.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pacer_wiring_2.doc
 Filesize:  31.5 KB
 Downloaded:  442 Time(s)

Pacer_wiring_3.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pacer_wiring_3.doc
 Filesize:  33 KB
 Downloaded:  462 Time(s)

Pacer_wiring_4.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pacer_wiring_4.doc
 Filesize:  37 KB
 Downloaded:  430 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

The ground, at the very left side of page 1 above the alternator, is shorting out the electrical system.
The voltage regulator “enable” terminal has two wires attached to it. The shortest of the two wires is in parallel with the alternator field switch and prevents the switch from opening the circuit.
Alternators have internal diodes. An external reverse-current diode is not usually installed. The diode could get very warm depending on the type of diode and current through it. Will that diode have any affect on voltage regulation?
Is 10awg wire big enough to handle full alternator output current without over heating?
Joe

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

The Pacer is a certificated airplane. Seems as though it's electrical system should conform to the original as it left the factory and/or FAA approved modifications there to.

What am I missing?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/14/2015 9:27:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time, fransew(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

The ground, at the very left side of page 1 above the alternator, is shorting out the electrical system.
The voltage regulator “enable” terminal has two wires attached to it. The shortest of the two wires is in parallel with the alternator field switch and prevents the switch from opening the circuit.
Alternators have internal diodes. An external reverse-current diode is not usually installed. The diode could get very warm depending on the type of diode and current through it. Will that diode have any affect on voltage regulation?
Is 10awg wire big enough to handle full alternator output current without over heating?
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=443542#443542===============================================
_-= = Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp; ===================================================

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Quote:
What am I missing?

The title that says, "Bearhawk"? There is a Bearhawk Patrol, but I am not familiar with a Bearhawk Pacer.

Bob McC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Marvin;

Couple of comments;

Don’t understand the second battery depicted as a panel common ground buss?? (Also depicted with negative terminals at both ends??)

On the voltage regulator, the ground, enable, and sense terminals are all tied together and also to both ground and battery power. This will either blow fuses, trip breakers or release valuable smoke from the wires. Also as shown, if the ground is corrected, the alternator field switch has no control as there is an alternate path in parallel from the first fuse on the main buss. (labeled main?? Hard to read?) This part of the circuit will simply not work as shown.

Wire sizes seem a little strange. Some are marginally small others excessively large. How were these chosen??

The main battery symbol is shown with two positive terminals. The right hand, grounded terminal should be negative. (short line as opposed to long) (semantics, I know, but- - )

A single switch removing all avionics power is generally considered a bad idea as it is a single point of failure. (although used on many production aircraft for years.) (your choice, it will work, but - - )

The reverse current diode really serves no purpose as the rectifier diodes in the alternator are in series with it anyway.

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of H. Marvin Haught
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:21 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress

M. Haught

[quote][b]

Falco #908
(just starting)
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

So it appears that I misread the original question?

Sorry 'bout that.

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/14/2015 10:02:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time, fransew(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Bearhawk Patrol

[quote][b]

jmjones2000(at)mindspring

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Marvin,
Why not use one of Bob N's Z-Diagrams in the Aeroeletric connection? Engineered, Tested and proven to perform.
Justin

On Jun 14, 2015, at 19:05, Bob McCallum <robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca (robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca)> wrote:
[quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]-->
Marvin;

Couple of comments;

Don’t understand the second battery depicted as a panel common ground buss?? (Also depicted with negative terminals at both ends??)

On the voltage regulator, the ground, enable, and sense terminals are all tied together and also to both ground and battery power. This will either blow fuses, trip breakers or release valuable smoke from the wires. Also as shown, if the ground is corrected, the alternator field switch has no control as there is an alternate path in parallel from the first fuse on the main buss. (labeled main?? Hard to read?) This part of the circuit will simply not work as shown.

Wire sizes seem a little strange. Some are marginally small others excessively large. How were these chosen??

The main battery symbol is shown with two positive terminals. The right hand, grounded terminal should be negative. (short line as opposed to long) (semantics, I know, but- - )

A single switch removing all avionics power is generally considered a bad idea as it is a single point of failure. (although used on many production aircraft for years.) (your choice, it will work, but - - )

The reverse current diode really serves no purpose as the rectifier diodes in the alternator are in series with it anyway.

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of H. Marvin Haught
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:21 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress

M. Haught

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
lectric-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

At 09:41 PM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
The Pacer is a certificated airplane. Seems as though it's electrical system should conform to the original as it left the factory and/or FAA approved modifications there to.

What am I missing?

Not a thing. I'm not sure that Marvin intended
to post this to the List . . . he has a friend
in AK who is rebuilding a Pacer and I'm pretty
sure this is his first whack at a wiring diagram.

I'm copying pages from another wirebook to assemble
a page-per-system approach that will produce
more readable copy and give us a better foundation
to sift the details.

It's not a bad thing that the List be involved,
I'm pleased to see the degree of interest and
participation. I'll publish the wirebook to the
List as well -

I think "Bearhawk" may be Mr. Mark Moyle's
handle . . .

Thanks for participating guys . . . watch this space . . .

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

At 01:12 PM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
There should have been 4 or 5 files, each one a section of the whole drawing. I will try to send it again.

Got it . . . and it's receiving the learned attention
from members of the List . . .

Has he actually purchased the Plane Power hardware yet?
The regulator in his drawing is a universal replacement
for a host of applications, some of which date back to
years that alternators were fitted with auxiliary sense
terminals for controlling a field relay.

His diagram for the alternator appears to be a clone
of the installation instruction drawings for the R1224
regulator which assumes ALL of the legacy features
are present. If he has purchased this hardware,
we need to know which alternator is in hand.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

ngeorge(at)continentalmot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Old Bob -
A simple 337 should make things right with the world... "Updated electrical schematics posted in aircraft permanent records."

Neal

On Jun 14, 2015, at 9:46 PM, "BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com)" <BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com)> wrote:

[quote] The Pacer is a certificated airplane. Seems as though it's electrical system should conform to the original as it left the factory and/or FAA approved modifications there to.

What am I missing?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
[b]

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Why in the world would you file a 337 if there were no changes other
than the schematic drawings? 337 is for changes to the aircraft that fit
the FAR43 Appendix A definition of a Major alteration or repair.
If there are actual changes to the wiring, then the A&P approving will
have to make the determination whether the changes are "major" or not.
If the changes are very likely to be "major" then the FSDO needs to be
contacted and field approval obtained *before* anything is actually
changed. Otherwise the owner might not be happy to have a changed
aircraft that the FAA will not approve.

On 6/15/2015 7:27 AM, Neal George wrote:
Quote:
Old Bob -
A simple 337 should make things right with the world... "Updated
electrical schematics posted in aircraft permanent records."

Neal

On Jun 14, 2015, at 9:46 PM, "BobsV35B(at)aol.com
<mailto:BobsV35B(at)aol.com>" <BobsV35B(at)aol.com
<mailto:BobsV35B(at)aol.com>> wrote:

> The Pacer is a certificated airplane. Seems as though it's
> electrical system should conform to the original as it left the
> factory and/or FAA approved modifications there to.
> What am I missing?
> Happy Skies,
> Old Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Yes, the hardware is all at hand. I talked to Mark last night and he is supposed to be joining this list. This is going to be a good learning experience for me, except for the usual back and forth as to change from original wiring or not. THAT decision has already been made, as you and I discussed, with the goals of installing more a more modern wiring design using updated components , keeping everything as simple and light as possible. I have not discussed the procedure favored by my supervising mechanic yet as to how to get the changes approved, but if it has been approved before, I have copies of the old approval, and follows approved wiring practices, with proper wire size, good workmanship and good components, he said he has no problem with the paperwork. Once we have a design, I will give it to him for his approval, and go / no go decision.

I will forward your email on to him, and get him signed up to the list.

M. Haught

Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
At 01:12 PM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
Got it . . . and it's receiving the learned attention from members of the List . . . Has he actually purchased the Plane Power hardware yet? The regulator in his drawing is a universal replacement for a host of applications, some of which date back to years that alternators were fitted with auxiliary sense terminals for controlling a field relay. His diagram for the alternator appears to be a clone of the installation instruction drawings for the R1224 regulator which assumes ALL of the legacy features are present. If he has purchased this hardware, we need to know which alternator is in hand.
Bob . . .
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
class="">http://forums.matronics.com
class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

That post was copied from the Bearhawk list. The airplane is / was an original Pacer that I sold to Mark a couple of years ago. It was wrecked due to the landing gear folding up from a weld repair turning loose, likely due to the extreme cold. Mark is rebuilding it with extensive modifications. There is an extensive thread of the rebuild, step by step on the Short Wing site. Additionally, I am starting a PA22-20 project that I picked up covered and painted in Waverly, IA a few years ago, and will be doing a similar panel. The diagram is from a Super Cub builder that used that wiring design for the rebuild of his Super Cub, with the wiring approved by his mechanic and is now flying on the airplane. So we know it has been approved and installed at least once.

M. Haught
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, at 9:59 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> What am I missing?

The title that says, "Bearhawk"? There is a Bearhawk Patrol, but I am not familiar with a Bearhawk Pacer.

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=443545#443545

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Don’t know the answers to your questions but I hope Mark will get signed up on the list today to provide the answers. But I appreciate the input and I am saving your comments to make sure these issues are resolved as I hope the design will be used in my project once this group gets done “tweaking” it!

M. Haught

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, at 10:05 PM, Bob McCallum <robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca (robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca)> wrote:
Marvin;

Couple of comments;

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of H. Marvin HaughtSent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:21 PMTo: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress

M. Haught

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

This is a certified airplane. Prefer to start with a design and drawing that we know has been approved and is flying on a 337 in a similar Piper Product so we have a “history” to cite.
M. Haught
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, at 12:44 AM, Justin Jones <jmjones2000(at)mindspring.com (jmjones2000(at)mindspring.com)> wrote:
Marvin,

Why not use one of Bob N's Z-Diagrams in the Aeroeletric connection? Engineered, Tested and proven to perform.

Justin
On Jun 14, 2015, at 19:05, Bob McCallum <robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca (robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca)> wrote:
Quote:
Marvin;

Couple of comments;

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of H. Marvin HaughtSent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:21 PMTo: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress

M. Haught

Quote:

lectric-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Fwd: [Bearhawk] Pacer progress Reply with quote

Bob is correct. But it is fine that it is on the list, as I thought everyone could learn from my ignorance. The post was originally from the Bearhawk Builders List and forwarded to Bob. Yes, this is Mark and my own first crack at a wiring diagram, and since I have 3, maybe 4 airplanes to wire in the next several months, I need to learn and develop a good generic wiring design that can be easily approved on a certified airplane without a lot of drama and effort. Those of you that have owned and flown Pacer will appreciate why the wiring needs improvement. I completely rewired my Pacer when I got it 20 years ago, but used all the old components and just replaced what was there. The project I am doing now will be for sale when it is finished, so I want something that is simple and trouble free, and won’t be coming back for me to repair. It also needs to be similar to other GA airplanes so that any mechanic will now how to repair it (I will have a complete wiring diagram in the paperwork). I love that Bob is already on that track with the page per system approach. That is already a benefit for my understanding and records.
M. Haught
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
At 09:41 PM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
The Pacer is a certificated airplane. Seems as though it's electrical system should conform to the original as it left the factory and/or FAA approved modifications there to. What am I missing?
Not a thing. I'm not sure that Marvin intended to post this to the List . . . he has a friend in AK who is rebuilding a Pacer and I'm pretty sure this is his first whack at a wiring diagram. I'm copying pages from another wirebook to assemble a page-per-system approach that will produce more readable copy and give us a better foundation to sift the details. It's not a bad thing that the List be involved, I'm pleased to see the degree of interest and participation. I'll publish the wirebook to the List as well - I think "Bearhawk" may be Mr. Mark Moyle's handle . . . Thanks for participating guys . . . watch this space . . .
Bob . . .
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
class="">http://forums.matronics.com
class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: