Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 914-UL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingphil2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

Hi,

This is not a Europa related question as such but there are a fair few Europa owners with a Rotax 914-UL.

Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about the engine? Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a 912-ULS? Does it use mogas or avgas just as well? Are there any horror stories related to it or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra boost when you need it?

Thanks,

Phil

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

I was invited to do the flight testing for the initial issue of a UK permit in a friend's mono- with 914 turbo a few years ago and thereafter sat with him for several hours while he became familiar with his aircraft. Apart from that we've done several other flights together, both near and far. He's also done quite a bit of flying on his own, seemingly without any trouble. Well, there was one occasion when an EGT probe needed replacing but that was easy enough to sort out.

Compared with my 100hp 912ULS, the performance is quite exhilarating during take-off, so much so that during one of my first fast taxi runs it actually got airborne around 40 kts (below stall) which took me by surprise. Andy Draper informed me (and I'm ready to be corrected if memory is failing me) that the stronger propeller wash generates enough additional lift at the wing roots to cause this effect. Anyway it definitely happened, so thereafter I deliberately didn't put the throttle through the gate, using only 100hp and saving the extra 15hp for making a short take-off when carrying a passenger.

Climb rate when fully laden is in the order of 1400'/min with full power, which goes to show that the turbo certainly delivers. The new 915iS would be fun to experience.

Because we used only unleaded mogas, I never got to see the benefits of the turbo at altitude, but then again I've been a professional helicopter pilot for over 40 years and get nose-bleeds and the jitters much above 1000'. All the limited heroism I ever had got used up when I was learning to fly in military Harvards (AT6 Texans) when I was 18. Climbing to 10000' to do spins seemed a waste of flying time which could have been better spent enjoying the scenery from much closer to Mother Earth.

I recall part of the initial flight testing required Wide Open Throttle in level flight for a short dash and my friend's mono- Europa almost reached Vne 165 knots. So, there are noticeable performance benefits if you want them.

The basic 914 weighs only 16 lbs more than the basic 912ULS and if flown at the same speed as my aircraft when I used to have the 80hp 912UL, the fuel consumption rate was similar.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Last edited by JonathanMilbank on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

Phil, The turbo wastegate is a definite minus point although versions more modern than mine now have a lubrication point in the shaft which should limit the tendency to get stuck. Otherwise it clearly has the extra power for getting out of tight spots, but the best aspect of it is that it offers 100% power up to 17,000ft and stays just as efficient as you climb whilst normally aspirated engines run out of puff. I can do 150kts TAS (130kts IAS) at 10k burning around 21l/hr, which I suspect is beyond 912/S capabilities. It will use Mogas, UL91 or Avgas, but I try to avoid the latter as every 91X engine should.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2015-08-10 11:53, flyingphil2 wrote: [quote]
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "flyingphil2" <flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk (flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk)>

Hi,

This is not a Europa related question as such but there are a fair few Europa owners with a Rotax 914-UL.

Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about the engine? Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a 912-ULS? Does it use mogas or avgas just as well? Are there any horror stories related to it or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra boost when you need it?

Thanks,

Phil

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445760#445760

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

Phil,
I only have good to say for my 914UL. Except for some overtightened carb bowls (old torque specs) it has proven to be virtually trouble free. It pulls my Tri off the ground quickly, very brisk acceleration, climb out at 1400 fpm. At 6500’, 29” MP, 5000 RPM provides 138 kts true and 3.9 gph. I’m sure the Airmaster C/S prop helps with all these. I use 100LL exclusively as MoGas is not available on any of the airfields from which I operate regularly and I don’t like carting around big jugs of MoGas. Just means I have to change the oil more frequently and watch the lower plugs for fouling. Alcor TCP or Decalin RunUp seem to help on those lead issues.

I can’t imagine what the Europa would do with the new 915.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
[quote]On Aug 10, 2015, at 4:53 AM, flyingphil2 <flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk (flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "flyingphil2" <flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk (flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk)>Hi,This is not a Europa related question as such but there are a fair few Europa owners with a Rotax 914-UL.Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about the engine? Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a 912-ULS? Does it use mogas or avgas just as well? Are there any horror stories related to it or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra boost when you need it?Thanks,Phil
[b]

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

David and Phil give excellent differences.  Here is what I tell my clients:

912S is a reasonable price, easy to maintain and easy to service.

It is shaky on start and stop so cracks in the exhaust should be watched closely.

Takeoff is not spectacular, but ROC is about 500 FPM.  TO Roll is 600-700 feet and initial climb is 800 ish with a constant speed prop.

Being normally aspirated, the Bing carbs don't lean well above 3500 MSL.

Normal cruise at 5500 MSL yields about 125-130 KTAS at 5.5GPH.

If you plan flight ops below 10K (5500-7500) it is adequate and can yield 25-28 NM/GAL

Runs on 90 octane auto fuel without a hitch.

It gives the most bang for the buck for the Rotax series.

Whereas:
The 914 is nearly twice the price.

Troubleshooting is more time consuming and many of us have studied the systems but easy diagnosis is still time consuming.

Pressurized carbs require careful assembly and attention to leaks.

New TCU units can be electronically monitored and analyzed with DOS 8 computer emulators ONLY.

Wastegates normally require lube (although AV gas seems to keep mine lubed)

Requires high octane in hot climates, at least 92-93.  (I use 100LL)

However:
When combined with a constant speed propeller (more cost), it is a terrific performance altering addition to the Europa.

Takeoff roll is 550-600 feet at 45 KIAS fully loaded. (Ground static thrust of 500 pounds.) You scarcely have time to check the engine instruments before you are at takeoff speed. Initial ROC 1500.

In tests, my lowly TRIGEAR climbs at max continuous power at an average of 700 FPM to 10,000 MSL at 90 KIAS fully loaded and some.  Most efficient cruise MPG seems to be 7500-10,000 MSL.  I flight plan 1.5 GAL and 18 NM to get to altitude.

It exceeds 140 knots easily at 1000 MSL at max continuous power.

Cruising at 9.5-10.5K, I make 140 KTAS at 5.5 all day.  Slow down a bit and I can easily get 28-30 NM/GAL.

Higher cruise altitude does not increase range significantly unless equipped with a long range tank and lightly built.

When you have to get over the weather quickly as I do, the 914 does it better, and more reliable than any other engine out there.

The airplane is 20,000 compromises flying in close formation, the choices are yours.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

On Aug 10, 2015 6:58 AM, flyingphil2 <flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "flyingphil2" <flyingphil627-europastuff(at)yahoo.co.uk>

Hi,

Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about the engine?  Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a 912-ULS?  Does it use mogas or avgas just as well?  Are there any horror stories related to it or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra boost when you need it?

Thanks,

Phil

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445760#445760

===========
; - The Europa-List Email Forum -
r?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
;      - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
://forums.matronics.com
===========
;    - List Contribution Web Site -
;                     -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
tion">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[quote][b]

Roland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

Although I was a victim of an overboost a few years ago and thus already needed to replace the engine, I would always go for a 914 again, especially since my flying is normally around FL 100 but also often above. At MTOM in FL 100 I see TAS around 125 kt at 19 l/h.

In my experience the 914 runs happily on 95 octane premium car fuel (I refuel at the car station on my trailer almost any time) up to temperatures of 40°C OAT and up to FL 160 without any hiccup. I cannot remember Rotax recommending another fuel for the 914 compared to the 912S.

Another clear plus is, that the 914 is not at all prone to carburetor icing (at least without intercooler).

Still the best Rotax engine in my opinion.

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS Trigear 914

flyingphil2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 914-UL Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies on this subject.

I must admit that I was wary of the additional complexity of operation and maintenance but it doesn't sound like that's a problem.
I almost purchased a flying mono a few years ago that had a 914 but didn't for the very reason that it had a 914. Wish I had now .... it was a good one.

Anyway, I've recently flown behind a 914 and all of the numbers in your replies stack up. The initial climb with turbo certainly leaves a smile on your face and I also found that a perfectly safe take off could be achieved without using the extra power.

Thanks,

Phil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: