Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavy Duty Gas Struts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I installed my gas struts last night and the doors hold open just fine, however they slowly descend if you let go from midway open, and that's before any upholstery is installed.

I have the center cam latch, flush door handle and keyed lock fitted, so there's some additional weight beyond the standard Vans installation.

Should I just use the standard Vans gas struts until they fail completely or install the heavier duty gas struts?

The heavier duty Vans gas struts retail for US$131.00, however is there an alternative source for the heavier duty gas struts at a reduced cost please?

Kind regards to all, progress at last with the fibreglass, woo hoo.

Warm regards

Patrick

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I have the stock struts and they have worked just fine for over three year
now with no signs of deterioration. I have the cam latch as well, but the
rest of the door is stock.

Carl

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bhoppe2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I managed to break the plastic clevis on one of the Vans supplied gas struts. The stroke of the standard gas struts is too long, at least for my plane making them very difficult to install without unbolting the doors.
I bought two replacements from Bansbach.com in Florida with machined aluminum clevises, a shorter stroke and 580 newtons force or 130 lbs force, which is only 5 lbs lower than Vans heavy duty struts. They are much easier to install because the stroke matched my open door pin-to-pin gap and a little higher force than Vans standard. Plus, the aluminum clevises seem more "aircraft-like". Here is what I bought:

- A1 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on one end
- A2 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on other end
- B0N0F50-100-247/XXXN Gas Spring 4"(100mm) Stroke 10"(247mm) Extended Length with 580 newton force
Total Cost, including both end fittings was less than $40 each
Bruce Hoppe
Sent from my iPad
On Nov 24, 2015, at 7:22 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "Carl Froehlich" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>

I have the stock struts and they have worked just fine for over three year
now with no signs of deterioration. I have the cam latch as well, but the
rest of the door is stock.

Carl

--

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well.  The original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down if the wind hit it wrong.  I have a flush latch, aftermarket center cam, lock, upholstery, etc - not light.

On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N  10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.

They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was needed - no compression required.

They now work just right in all respects. 

Just another data point.

Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

On 11/24/2015 9:50 PM, Bruce Hoppe wrote:

Quote:

I managed to break the plastic clevis on one of the Vans supplied gas struts.  The stroke of the standard gas struts is too long, at least for my plane making them very difficult to install without unbolting the doors.  

I bought two replacements from Bansbach.com in Florida with machined aluminum clevises, a shorter stroke and 580 newtons force or 130 lbs force, which is only 5 lbs lower than Vans heavy duty struts.  They are much easier to install because the stroke matched my open door pin-to-pin gap and a little higher force than Vans standard.  Plus, the aluminum clevises seem more "aircraft-like".  Here is what I bought:

- B0N0F50-100-247/XXXN Gas Spring 4"(100mm) Stroke 10"(247mm) Extended Length with 580 newton force

Bruce Hoppe

Sent from my iPad

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I appreciate this thread as after 7 years my struts are starting so show some weakness. I have stock doors with light upholstery, would the struts mentioned below be too strong?
Thanks,
Marcus

On Nov 25, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down if the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center cam, lock, upholstery, etc - not light. On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H. They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was needed - no compression required. They now work just right in all respects. Just another data point. Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson On 11/24/2015 9:50 PM, Bruce Hoppe wrote:
Quote:

I managed to break the plastic clevis on one of the Vans supplied gas struts. The stroke of the standard gas struts is too long, at least for my plane making them very difficult to install without unbolting the doors.

I bought two replacements from Bansbach.com in Florida with machined aluminum clevises, a shorter stroke and 580 newtons force or 130 lbs force, which is only 5 lbs lower than Vans heavy duty struts. They are much easier to install because the stroke matched my open door pin-to-pin gap and a little higher force than Vans standard. Plus, the aluminum clevises seem more "aircraft-like". Here is what I bought:

Bruce Hoppe

Sent from my iPad

jchang10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I mentioned this same issue earlier. I need to contact Bansbach still. Anyway, the issue of "too strong" a strut would be a non-issue if it was damped upon fully open.

Nearly every new car with a door strut seems to do this, instead of trying to yank the door off its hinges. Thus, you would think they would be perfect for us. I have to use the regular strut because my door is light and the HD strut wants to destroy the door. Wink

On 11/25/2015 9:30 AM, Marcus Cooper wrote:

Quote:
I appreciate this thread as after 7 years my struts are starting so show some weakness.  I have stock doors with light upholstery, would the struts mentioned below be too strong?
Thanks,
Marcus

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

My struts seem to be falling more each month. It's tolerable but also a sign of needing to plan. I have been wanting to call vans beach as well and determine which we need. I need that damper on both up and down. When I get back I'll see what the reference was to the one that did work that someone sent me and see what the comparable one is with dampening from bansbach support.

Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, at 1:24 PM, Jae Chang <jc-matronics_rv10(at)jline.com> wrote:

I mentioned this same issue earlier. I need to contact Bansbach still. Anyway, the issue of "too strong" a strut would be a non-issue if it was damped upon fully open.

Nearly every new car with a door strut seems to do this, instead of trying to yank the door off its hinges. Thus, you would think they would be perfect for us. I have to use the regular strut because my door is light and the HD strut wants to destroy the door. Wink

> On 11/25/2015 9:30 AM, Marcus Cooper wrote:
> I appreciate this thread as after 7 years my struts are starting so show some weakness. I have stock doors with light upholstery, would the struts mentioned below be too strong?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus
--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

jchang10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Nice. i got a call back from a Bansbach engineer. He told me that the 5
in A1A1F50 indicates "normal" speed and normal damping on the last 10mm
of stroke. Damping only works if the rod is pointed down on full extension.

Bill, can you confirm whether you can observe the above? IE, can you
observe that the strut slows down in the last 10mm of full extension?

Jae

On 11/25/2015 9:04 AM, Bill Watson wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The
original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down if
the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center cam,
lock, upholstery, etc - not light.

On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for
$51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.

They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was
needed - no compression required.

They now work just right in all respects.

Just another data point.

Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I may have missed the response to Marcus question. I too have a lighter door . Does anyone know what the pressure is for the Vans standard strut? I believe the high pressure (580N) one will exert too much pressure on the door when opened and closed.
Thanks!
Pascal

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:15 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Heavy Duty Gas Struts

Quote:
I appreciate this thread as after 7 years my struts are starting so show some weakness. I have stock doors with light upholstery, would the struts mentioned below be too strong?
Thanks,
Marcus

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I wasn't even finished with the door and my original Vans struts wouldn't hold the door open when I put in the glass.  I bought the 600N struts from Barnsbach and am happy with them.  They do have some pressure on the hinge when open.  If you're going to have a strap to pull the door down then you can just use the strap to let the door open slowly.  Or, you can lengthen the 'guide' that places the attach point on the door a little lower.
Linn

On 11/30/2015 5:12 PM, Pascal wrote:

Quote:
I may have missed the response to Marcus question. I too have a lighter door . Does anyone know what the pressure is for the Vans standard strut? I believe the high pressure (580N) one will exert too much pressure on the door when opened and closed.
Thanks!
Pascal

Quote:
I appreciate this thread as after 7 years my struts are starting so show some weakness.  I have stock doors with light upholstery, would the struts mentioned below be too strong?  
Thanks,
Marcus

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

bhoppe2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

With the stroke and length I ordered from Bansbach, the strut is at full open stroke just when the hinges run out of travel. The struts supplied by Vans are too long for the application. If you calculate the full open length including the Bansbach clevises correctly, there will be virtually no load on the hinges. Then you can have any open force you want without over-stressing the hinges.
I broke the cheap plastic clevis trying to compress the Vans strut so that I could install it without unbolting the door. I do not recall exactly, but I think the Vans struts are at least an inch too long. The Vans struts apply continuous pressure to the hinges and doors when open. Also, if they have end of stroke cushions, they never can work anyway.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad
On Nov 30, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't even finished with the door and my original Vans struts wouldn't hold the door open when I put in the glass. I bought the 600N struts from Barnsbach and am happy with them. They do have some pressure on the hinge when open. If you're going to have a strap to pull the door down then you can just use the strap to let the door open slowly. Or, you can lengthen the 'guide' that places the attach point on the door a little lower.
Linn

On 11/30/2015 5:12 PM, Pascal wrote:

Quote:
Thanks!
Pascal

Quote:
Thanks,
Marcus

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

The Bansback engineer appears to be correct.

As soon as I saw this today, I ran down and flipped one of my struts so
that the rod end is pointed down. It not only damps on the last part of
the extension stroke but it seems to work a bit better at the compressed
end of the stroke - it tends not to slam down if the door is let go.

This was news to me. Thanks for the tip!

Fact is, I wasn't overly concerned about the way they opened but I was
cautioning passenger not to just let go of the strap when opening. Now
they can just let it go.

Bill "just finished working through the leftovers" Watson

On 11/25/2015 3:07 PM, Jae Chang wrote:
Quote:

Nice. i got a call back from a Bansbach engineer. He told me that the
5 in A1A1F50 indicates "normal" speed and normal damping on the last
10mm of stroke. Damping only works if the rod is pointed down on full
extension.

Jae

> I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The
> original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down if
> the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center cam,
> lock, upholstery, etc - not light.
>
> On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for
> $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.
>
> They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was
> needed - no compression required.
>
> They now work just right in all respects.
>
> Just another data point.
>
> Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

jchang10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Bill... that is good news. thanks for checking. Vans has you install the
opposite way with rod end up when the door is open. I will be ordering soon.

The issues are explained very well on this FAQ page.
http://www.guden.com/Control/About-Gas-Springs

Jae

On 11/30/2015 6:13 PM, Bill Watson wrote:
Quote:

The Bansback engineer appears to be correct.

As soon as I saw this today, I ran down and flipped one of my struts
so that the rod end is pointed down. It not only damps on the last
part of the extension stroke but it seems to work a bit better at the
compressed end of the stroke - it tends not to slam down if the door
is let go.

This was news to me. Thanks for the tip!

Fact is, I wasn't overly concerned about the way they opened but I was
cautioning passenger not to just let go of the strap when opening.
Now they can just let it go.

Bill "just finished working through the leftovers" Watson

On 11/25/2015 3:07 PM, Jae Chang wrote:
>
>
> Nice. i got a call back from a Bansbach engineer. He told me that the
> 5 in A1A1F50 indicates "normal" speed and normal damping on the last
> 10mm of stroke. Damping only works if the rod is pointed down on full
> extension.
>
> Bill, can you confirm whether you can observe the above? IE, can you
> observe that the strut slows down in the last 10mm of full extension?
>
> Jae
>
> On 11/25/2015 9:04 AM, Bill Watson wrote:
>> I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The
>> original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down
>> if the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center
>> cam, lock, upholstery, etc - not light.
>>
>> On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for
>> $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.
>>
>> They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was
>> needed - no compression required.
>>
>> They now work just right in all respects.
>>
>> Just another data point.
>>
>> Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Bill

I enquired with Banbasch to purchase the gas struts and in their infinite wisdom, referred me to the Australian distributor here downunder.

Could you please confirm that you purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for US$51.89 plus US$19.27 S&H, as I've been quoted AU$166.65 + 15% Goods and Services Tax + AU$15 freight.

Anyone interested in sending me across a pair of the heavy duty gas struts if I send you the money?

Kind regards

Patrick
Adelaide, South Australia

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 2 Dec 2015, at 01:57, Jae Chang <jc-matronics_rv10(at)jline.com> wrote:

On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Not that bad Patrick.  It was US$51.89 each plus S&H.  The total bill was US$123.05 with no tax.  Close enough I'd say.

On 12/2/2015 3:03 AM, Patrick Pulis wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> (rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au)

Bill

I enquired with Banbasch to purchase the gas struts and in their infinite wisdom, referred me to the Australian distributor here downunder.

Could you please confirm that you purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for US$51.89 plus US$19.27 S&H, as I've been quoted AU$166.65 + 15% Goods and Services Tax + AU$15 freight.

Anyone interested in sending me across a pair of the heavy duty gas struts if I send you the money?

Kind regards

Patrick
Adelaide, South Australia

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 2 Dec 2015, at 01:57, Jae Chang <jc-matronics_rv10(at)jline.com> (jc-matronics_rv10(at)jline.com) wrote:

On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Patrick;
Stand by for now. I called and was told I needed to go to Grainger (US
distributor) for the struts, than tried again via a "chat" and discovered
that if I ordered it the way Hoppe did:
- B0N0F50-100-247/XXXN Gas Spring 4"(100mm) Stroke 10"(247mm) Extended
Length with 580 newton force

They will allow one to purchase directly.
I ask that you stand by as it has taken 3 days to get that one person to
take my order!!
I hope to get it done today, if it works I'll see if I can order the parts
for you, or have the engineer tell me how to send to Australia.

Pascal
--

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

So we have 3 different lengths now (and forces):

Bruce Hoppe
A1 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on one end
A2 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on other end
B0N0F5O-100-247/XXXN Gas Spring 4"(100mm) Stroke 10"(247mm) Extended
Length with 580 newton force less then 40$ each what did you pay for the
fittings?

Bill Watson
A1A1F5O-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H

Linn Walters
E2A1F5O-100-290/600N

denominations, the first 4 letter/numbers are the 2 Eyelets

-A1 is width of the eyelet 10mm, for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length to
the center 20mm/16mm
-A2 is width of the eyelet 18mm, for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length to
the center 25mm/NA
-B0/N0 is none (that is why Bruce did order them separate (and
maybe why his strut shows 40mm less?)
-E2 is width 5mm (same as Van's), for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length to
the center 23mm/16mm (why Linns strut is 3 mm longer then Bills?)

F5O this is a normal strut vent in the end of the cylinder, strong
dampening on the end, rod is 8mm, cylinder is 19mm
-100 distance the shaft moves 100mm/4"
-247/287/290 this is the mounting length center to center of the
eyelets (or length of the assembly without thread length) (Van's has
about 297 in my kit)
/XXX force in Newton

So I assume Bruce assembly length being around the same then Bills and
Linn's is 3mm more.

Bruce why did you choose that 18mm width eyelet on one side and Linn you
the 5mm width; anywhere this givens an advantage?

Cheers Werner (fitting canopy next doors)
On 25.11.2015 21:07, Jae Chang wrote:
Quote:

Nice. i got a call back from a Bansbach engineer. He told me that the
5 in A1A1F50 indicates "normal" speed and normal damping on the last
10mm of stroke. Damping only works if the rod is pointed down on full
extension.

Jae

> I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The
> original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down if
> the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center cam,
> lock, upholstery, etc - not light.
>
> On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for
> $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.
>
> They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was
> needed - no compression required.
>
> They now work just right in all respects.
>
> Just another data point.
>
> Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

jchang10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I would add the 2 from Vans as well.

Not sure on the specifics on the 500N one. The 600N "HD" version is
Stabilus, Lift-O-Mat part number 2218LP.

I have installed the Vans versions rod up, rod down, etc. No difference.
As far as i can tell, no damping on either end. I have no idea why they
would carry a non-damping version.

If anyone has another data point on damping on their versions, it would
be great to hear. I do have a light stock door without upholstery, a
center cam, etc.

Jae

On 12/3/2015 3:41 AM, Werner Schneider wrote:
Quote:

So we have 3 different lengths now (and forces):

Bruce Hoppe
A1 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on one end
A2 M8 Hinge Eye End Fitting on other end
B0N0F5O-100-247/XXXN Gas Spring 4"(100mm) Stroke 10"(247mm) Extended
Length with 580 newton force less then 40$ each what did you pay for
the fittings?

Bill Watson
A1A1F5O-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H

Linn Walters
E2A1F5O-100-290/600N

denominations, the first 4 letter/numbers are the 2 Eyelets

-A1 is width of the eyelet 10mm, for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length to
the center 20mm/16mm
-A2 is width of the eyelet 18mm, for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length to
the center 25mm/NA
-B0/N0 is none (that is why Bruce did order them separate (and
maybe why his strut shows 40mm less?)
-E2 is width 5mm (same as Van's), for an M8 screw (8.2mm) length
to the center 23mm/16mm (why Linns strut is 3 mm longer then Bills?)

F5O this is a normal strut vent in the end of the cylinder,
strong dampening on the end, rod is 8mm, cylinder is 19mm
-100 distance the shaft moves 100mm/4"
-247/287/290 this is the mounting length center to center of the
eyelets (or length of the assembly without thread length) (Van's has
about 297 in my kit)
/XXX force in Newton

So I assume Bruce assembly length being around the same then Bills and
Linn's is 3mm more.

Bruce why did you choose that 18mm width eyelet on one side and Linn
you the 5mm width; anywhere this givens an advantage?

Cheers Werner (fitting canopy next doors)
On 25.11.2015 21:07, Jae Chang wrote:
>
>
> Nice. i got a call back from a Bansbach engineer. He told me that the
> 5 in A1A1F50 indicates "normal" speed and normal damping on the last
> 10mm of stroke. Damping only works if the rod is pointed down on full
> extension.
>
> Bill, can you confirm whether you can observe the above? IE, can you
> observe that the strut slows down in the last 10mm of full extension?
>
> Jae
>
> On 11/25/2015 9:04 AM, Bill Watson wrote:
>> I recently bought replacement struts from Bansbach as well. The
>> original Vans struts still worked but one door started coming down
>> if the wind hit it wrong. I have a flush latch, aftermarket center
>> cam, lock, upholstery, etc - not light.
>>
>> On 3/9/15 I purchased (2) A1A1F50-100-287/600N 10017y1 struts for
>> $51.89 plus $19.27 S&H.
>>
>> They installed easily (i.e. throw seemed to exactly fit what was
>> needed - no compression required.
>>
>> They now work just right in all respects.
>>
>> Just another data point.
>>
>> Bill "on a TG family visitation mission" Watson

--
#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
do not archive

#40533 RV-10
First flight 10/19/2011
Phase 1 Done 11/26/2011
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

Werner;
I had the same question on the ends, but here is the response from Bansbach
on the difference between Bruce and Bill struts:
The 10017 (B0N0F5O-100-247/100) is the base part. We complete this assembly
by putting in the A1 fittings (Item 96102) and adjusting the force to make
the final part A1A1F50-100-287/XXXN. There is cost for the change of force
so the 100N could be anything you want including the 580N you requested.
Same with the fittings.
Pascal

--

bhoppe2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Gas Struts Reply with quote

I reversed my gas springs this morning to be installed rod down as recommended by Bansbach. I now have cushioning at the end of the opening stroke. With the rod end connected to the door as specified by Vans, there is no cushioning at the end of the opening stroke. It is noticeably better.

Also, with the stroke length I ordered, I was able to remove and reinstall the gas springs without a problem because the door hinges are not quite at the end of their travel when the gas spring is fully extended. Consequently, the hinges are not seeing a load exerted by the gas spring when the doors are fully open as was the case with the Vans supplied unit.

With the 130 lbs/580 newton gas spring, my doors stay shut until they are opened 3 to 5 inches (I did not measure it) and then they will lift open on their own.

Bruce Hoppe
Mobile: (517)703-4215

Sent from my iPad

[quote] On Dec 3, 2015, at 9:58 AM, Pascal <rv10flyer(at)live.com> wrote:

Werner;
I had the same question on the ends, but here is the response from Bansbach on the difference between Bruce and Bill struts:
The 10017 (B0N0F5O-100-247/100) is the base part. We complete this assembly by putting in the A1 fittings (Item 96102) and adjusting the force to make the final part A1A1F50-100-287/XXXN. There is cost for the change of force so the 100N could be anything you want including the 580N you requested. Same with the fittings.
Pascal

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: