Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin G3X installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbyak52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22).  Has anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the magnetometer?

Jimmy Burke
Jbyak52(at)gmail.com

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Viperdoc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Try under the turtle deck aft of the rear cockpit. I did that for my Dynon in the 50. Worked fine on headings after slaving the DG. Mount it first with industrial adhesive backed Velcro. That way you can move it if you do not like it.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 2, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com (jbyak52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22). Has anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the magnetometer?

Jimmy Burke
Jbyak52(at)gmail.com (Jbyak52(at)gmail.com)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jbyak52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.  Area behind the rear seat has the two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus the rear landing gear assembly.  Wing tips are a possibility, but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the wiring through the wing.  Looks like I may be the first to put a G3X in a TW.

Off line response from Sonny Schilleci at Auric Avionics suggests using a Survey Tool to locate a low noise area.

Jimmy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:32 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Garmin G3X installation

Try under the turtle deck aft of the rear cockpit. I did that for my Dynon in the 50. Worked fine on headings after slaving the DG. Mount it first with industrial adhesive backed Velcro. That way you can move it if you do not like it.

Doc

Sent from my iPad
On Feb 2, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com (jbyak52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22). Has anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the magnetometer?

Jimmy Burke

McFly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Use a simple camping compass. Wherever you want to put it out the compass and see if it swings. If not you are golden.
Used this technique for my Yak 50 as suggested by Stein Air during G3X install.

Todd McCutchanT-34A & Yak-50
Cell: (260) 402-1740
E-mail: todd(at)fastaircraft.com (todd(at)fastaircraft.com)
www.fastaircraft.com
On Feb 3, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com (jbyak52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Thanks for the response. Area behind the rear seat has the two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus the rear landing gear assembly. Wing tips are a possibility, but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the wiring through the wing. Looks like I may be the first to put a G3X in a TW.

Off line response from Sonny Schilleci at Auric Avionics suggests using a Survey Tool to locate a low noise area.

Jimmy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Doc

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Jimmy Burke

KDVT Hangar 33-13

Cell - 260.402.1740

Email: todd@fastaircraft.com
Web: www.fastaircraft.com & www.flyams.com
jbsoar(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how much voltage is required to fire the starting vibrator?  I believe the batteries in the Yak 55M are old, and low in base voltage.  It was cool today, and the airplane was difficult to start.

Is there a replacement starting vibrator available?  Do the originals from Russia hold up well?  
Thank you!
john b
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com (jbyak52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response.  Area behind the rear seat has the two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus the rear landing gear assembly.  Wing tips are a possibility, but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the wiring through the wing.  Looks like I may be the first to put a G3X in a TW.

Jimmy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Doc

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22).  Has anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the magnetometer?

Jimmy Burke

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

If the battery voltage drops down to 22 volts or less, the starting coil may not generate an adequate spark.
The starting coil is probably one of the most reliable electrical components on the airplane. The starting coil wire (7mm) from the starting coil to the left magneto cap may be deteriorated and cracked. If the wire is cracked, it will arc to the braided shield (ground) when you press the start button. That would prevent the spark from going to the mag cap and then to the spark plug.
After you replace the batteries, open up the starting coil container and check the points for mounding. If necessary you can burnish the points to remove any mounds with a point file.
Dennis

To: Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:14 AM

Does anyone have any idea how much voltage is required to fire the starting vibrator? I believe the batteries in the Yak 55M are old, and low in base voltage. It was cool today, and the airplane was difficult to start.
Is there a replacement starting vibrator available? Do the originals from Russia hold up well?

Thank you!john b

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com (jbyak52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Area behind the rear seat has the two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus the rear landing gear assembly. Wing tips are a possibility, but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the wiring through the wing.  Looks like I may be the first to put a G3X in a TW.

Jimmy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Roger KempSent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:32 PMTo: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Garmin G3X installation

DocSent from my iPad

Quote:

Jimmy Burke

Ernie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

These engines are not easy to start in cold weather.

Ernie
On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
If the battery voltage drops down to 22 volts or less, the starting coil may not generate an adequate spark.
The starting coil is probably one of the most reliable electrical components on the airplane.   The starting coil wire (7mm) from the starting coil to the left magneto cap may be deteriorated and cracked.  If the wire is cracked, it will arc to the braided shield (ground) when you press the start button.  That would prevent the spark from going to the mag cap and then to the spark plug.
After you replace the batteries, open up the starting coil container and check the points for mounding.  If necessary you can burnish the points to remove any mounds with a point file.
Dennis

To: Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:14 AM

Does anyone have any idea how much voltage is required to fire the starting vibrator?  I believe the batteries in the Yak 55M are old, and low in base voltage.  It was cool today, and the airplane was difficult to start.
Is there a replacement starting vibrator available?  Do the originals from Russia hold up well?  

Thank you!john b

Quote:

Jimmy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Roger KempSent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:32 PMTo: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Garmin G3X installation

DocSent from my iPad

Quote:

Jimmy Burke

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Absolutely agree and the cold weather just makes it more difficult.
Especially if the battery voltage is low.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 2/6/2016 7:48 AM, Ernest Martinez wrote:
Quote:
These engines are not easy to start in cold weather.

Ernie

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM, A. Dennis Savarese
<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net <mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>> wrote:

If the battery voltage drops down to 22 volts or less, the
starting coil may not generate an adequate spark.

The starting coil is probably one of the most reliable electrical
components on the airplane. The starting coil wire (7mm) from the
starting coil to the left magneto cap may be deteriorated and
cracked. If the wire is cracked, it will arc to the braided shield
(ground) when you press the start button. That would prevent the
spark from going to the mag cap and then to the spark plug.

After you replace the batteries, open up the starting coil
container and check the points for mounding. If necessary you can
burnish the points to remove any mounds with a point file.

Dennis
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* John B <jbsoar(at)gmail.com <mailto:jbsoar(at)gmail.com>>
*To:* Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com
<mailto:yak-list(at)matronics.com>>
*Sent:* Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:14 AM
*Subject:* Re: Garmin G3X installation

Does anyone have any idea how much voltage is required to fire the
starting vibrator? I believe the batteries in the Yak 55M are
old, and low in base voltage. It was cool today, and the airplane
was difficult to start.

Is there a replacement starting vibrator available? Do the
originals from Russia hold up well?

Thank you!
john b

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com
<mailto:jbyak52(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks for the response. Area behind the rear seat has the
two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft
fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus
the rear landing gear assembly. Wing tips are a possibility,
but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the
wiring through the wing. Looks like I may be the first to put
a G3X in a TW.
Off line response from Sonny Schilleci at Auric Avionics
suggests using a Survey Tool to locate a low noise area.
Jimmy
<mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com>
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com
<mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com>] *On Behalf Of
*Roger Kemp
*Sent:* Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:32 PM
*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:yak-list(at)matronics.com>
*Subject:* Re: Garmin G3X installation
Try under the turtle deck aft of the rear cockpit. I did that
for my Dynon in the 50. Worked fine on headings after slaving
the DG. Mount it first with industrial adhesive backed Velcro.
That way you can move it if you do not like it.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 2, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com
<mailto:jbyak52(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to
located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22). Has
anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion
on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the
magnetometer?
Jimmy Burke
Jbyak52(at)gmail.com <mailto:Jbyak52(at)gmail.com>

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

We make a solid-state version that we run any voltage. It was aimed at the homebuilders who want to use a 12 V system
George
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, at 8:09 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Absolutely agree and the cold weather just makes it more difficult. Especially if the battery voltage is low.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

> On 2/6/2016 7:48 AM, Ernest Martinez wrote:
> These engines are not easy to start in cold weather.
>
> Ernie
>
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net <mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>> wrote:
>
> If the battery voltage drops down to 22 volts or less, the
> starting coil may not generate an adequate spark.
>
> The starting coil is probably one of the most reliable electrical
> components on the airplane. The starting coil wire (7mm) from the
> starting coil to the left magneto cap may be deteriorated and
> cracked. If the wire is cracked, it will arc to the braided shield
> (ground) when you press the start button. That would prevent the
> spark from going to the mag cap and then to the spark plug.
>
> After you replace the batteries, open up the starting coil
> container and check the points for mounding. If necessary you can
> burnish the points to remove any mounds with a point file.
>
> Dennis
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* John B <jbsoar(at)gmail.com <mailto:jbsoar(at)gmail.com>>
> *To:* Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com
> <mailto:yak-list(at)matronics.com>>
> *Sent:* Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:14 AM
> *Subject:* Re: Garmin G3X installation
>
> Does anyone have any idea how much voltage is required to fire the
> starting vibrator? I believe the batteries in the Yak 55M are
> old, and low in base voltage. It was cool today, and the airplane
> was difficult to start.
>
> Is there a replacement starting vibrator available? Do the
> originals from Russia hold up well?
>
> Thank you!
> john b
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com
> <mailto:jbyak52(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the response. Area behind the rear seat has the
> two air tanks which require 8.2 feet separation, the aft
> fuselage has control cable that require 3 feet clearance plus
> the rear landing gear assembly. Wing tips are a possibility,
> but the nav lights and strobes are a problem plus routing the
> wiring through the wing. Looks like I may be the first to put
> a G3X in a TW.
> Off line response from Sonny Schilleci at Auric Avionics
> suggests using a Survey Tool to locate a low noise area.
> Jimmy
> *From:*owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com>
> [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com>] *On Behalf Of
> *Roger Kemp
> *Sent:* Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:32 PM
> *To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:yak-list(at)matronics.com>
> *Subject:* Re: Garmin G3X installation
> Try under the turtle deck aft of the rear cockpit. I did that
> for my Dynon in the 50. Worked fine on headings after slaving
> the DG. Mount it first with industrial adhesive backed Velcro.
> That way you can move it if you do not like it.
> Doc
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Feb 2, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Jim Burke <jbyak52(at)gmail.com
> <mailto:jbyak52(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I’m installing a Garmin G3X in my Yak52TW and trying to
> located a place to install the magnetometer (GMU22). Has
> anyone done this installation in a TW or have a suggestion
> on a location that meets Garmin’s requirements for the
> magnetometer?
> Jimmy Burke
> Jbyak52(at)gmail.com <mailto:Jbyak52(at)gmail.com>

g195

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

I installed the Dynon skyview in my TW and I put the magnetometer between the front seat and the rear cockpit instrument panel attached to the bottom of the glare shield for the rear cockpit.

Gary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: