Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Non-DoD Source] RE: Garmin G3X installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Garmin G3X installation Reply with quote

Jimmy, I have never worked with the G3X magnetometer, but my advice is to not be too extremely hard core about the companies mounting requirements ... which are of course looking for the perfect world. If that were the case, I would advise mounting in the top of the vertical stab. How you'd get it in there would be the issue of course, unless you actually cut in an inspection hole. Ugh!

The biggest concern is to avoid single and dual cycle errors, otherwise known as "Hard and Soft Iron" errors, both conditions impact how the flux valve (No, not Flux Capacitor) behaves. This device is no different than the magnetic compass mounted in your cockpit. It behaves exactly the same way, without moving parts of course. I do not know if the G3X incorporates accelerometers as well, which adds to the complexity of installation. Anyway ....

The first thing to avoid at all costs are ferrous metals that MOVE. You mentioned this and you are absolutely correct... things like control cables, bell-cranks, landing gear, etc. Any kind of ferrous metal that moves.

But minus those, there is a certain amount of leeway simply because there is a calibration routine for this device and it is possible that you can get away with a lot more than the directions imply. One of the first places I would try would be under the cover for the rear instrument panel. Yes, I know there is some steel in there, but it does not move! If you want to get extreme, replace all the screws and nuts you can with stainless steel hardware which will not impact flux valves. Mount it to something other than that cover itself ... because you more than likely might want to take that off someday and you don't ever want to ever be moving this thing around. If you move it, it has to be recalibrated... period. But for test purposes, you can stick it in there anyway you like, as far up as possible... and see if it will calibrate. You have nothing to lose. Wing-tips sound like a good place, but you must be away from any moving iron and remember, there are pushrods going out that way with all sorts of moving hardware, so it is not quite as attractive as you might think. Anywhere near the engine is another place you want to stay away from of course.

Yes, I suspect you are the "test case" for the 52TW.

Best of luck ... and multiple repeated attempts. Smile

Mark
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: