Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynon on Corvair engine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave.thompson(at)verizon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Larry,

For what it’s worth, if you’re going to install a Corvair in you’re aircraft; I truly hope that you are following William Wynne’s advice on your build. He has the most experience with the engine.

I had a face to face conversation with William regarding engine instrumentation a year or so ago. His theories made a lot of sense. He advocates using mechanical engine instruments. The primary reason is that they are immune to electrical system failures. With a total electrical system failure, running the engine on just the battery, his tests show that the ignition will run the engine down to I believe 9 volts (Don’t quote me on that number). Anyway, the point is; you’ll have a long time of full power to get yourself to an airport. With mechanical instruments, you will have less to worry about knowing what the engine is doing. He specifically mentioned that the Dynon units connect directly to the ignition. He cautions against instruments that might “wig-out” and short out the ignition system which will, of course stop the engine.

I personally agree with the above. However, I sure like the looks of a glass panel. If you decide on the Dynon, or any other electronic engine instrumentation you might consider installing “Idiot Lights” just in case the Dynon decides to misbehave. Easy lamps to install could be: Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Alternator and CHT (use the stock lamp sender). A back-up tach might also be handy. Check out the link below for some cool panel lamps with legends.

http://www.k-four.net/catform.htm

Check out pages 7, 10 and especially page 15 of their catalog. I’ve purchased many switches and lamps from them through the years and they carry great quality stuff. Of course, I’m sure that you know; don’t use their wire or crimps on an aircraft.

As for senders, my experience is with cars & boats but they are all engines. What you’ll need is the proper sender for the indicating device. What I mean is for instance, an oil pressure sender will turn on at a specific pressure (typically published with the unit) sending ground to a lamp. An electrical instrument sender will send a varying resistance to ground.  That varying resistance is read by the instrument. If the instrument and sender are not calibrated to each other, the indication will not be correct.

As long as the sender is correct for the indicator, your only problem may be appropriate threaded holes at the right location on the engine for that sender. Be sure that the oil temp sender is down in the flow of heated oil. I nearly burnt up my ‘64 Corvair convertible engine back in high school. I put a sender up on a pipe post and a “T”. Most of the hot oil bypassed the pipe & “T” giving me erroneous instrument temp readings.

I suggest you also look into some type of inductive or magnetic tach sender to divorce the Dynon unit from the ignition system. I haven’t studied enough to properly advise you on what to try.

Using advice from William, I plan to use Autometer Z-series mechanical instruments (see the link below). I will also have an “idiot light” over most instruments. I’m considering the Dynon EFIS-D10A for flight instrumentation only. That way I will have the best of both worlds. William said something like “its ironic using auto instruments on an auto conversion flight engine.”

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugeseries.aspx

I called the Autometer factory and they said that if they don’t have an instrument in a particular series but do in another of the same size, they can custom make an instrument for a minimal charge.

That’s my two cents worth, take it or leave it.

Dave Thompson
dave.thompson(at)verizon.net (dave.thompson(at)verizon.net)
Westminster, CA

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

First, the Dynon unit does have it's own battery available so you would still have access to the engine instruments should your electrical system fail.

Second, I really don't see how a Tach sensor could wig out and fail the ignition system. Though I might be wrong and will conceed the point if someone could explain it to me.

That said, I've had tachs go out and completed the flight with no problem. I'd be much more concerned with the loss of ALT and AS. But since I plan to have a 396 in the panel as well I feel its vitual panel will be an acceptable back-up for the Dynon unit given the type of flying I plan to do.

Quote:
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:55 am Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry,
?
For what it’s worth, if you’re going to install a Corvair in you’re aircraft; I truly hope that you are following William Wynne’s advice on your build. He has the most experience with the engine.
?
I had a face to face conversation with William regarding engine instrumentation a year or so ago. His theories made a lot of sense. He advocates using mechanical engine instruments. The primary reason is that they are immune to electrical system failures. With a total electrical system failure, running the engine on just the battery, his tests show that the ignition will run the engine down to I believe 9 volts (Don’t quote me on that number). Anyway, the point is; you’ll have a long time of full power to get yourself to an airport. With mechanical instruments, you will have less to worry about knowing what the engine is doing. He specifically mentioned that the Dynon units connect directly to the ignition. He cautions against instruments that might “wig-out” and short out the ignition system which will, of course stop the engine.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

planejim(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

List,

I seem to remember that many years ago some of the VW powered homebuilts
were using a certain type ( I think it was Westach - could be wrong here )
of tach that were prone to shorting out someway and killing the
ignition.Some airplanes went down because of it. I don't know any of the
technical details so I can't help there. Just something that came to mind.
Everybody be carefull!

Jim Hoak

---

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

A tach could easily kill an ignition...All it has to do is short the
signal wire to ground and that ign will stop working.

Frank

--

Michael Valentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

I attended Corvair College #9 and was certainly impressed with the passion and professionalism of William and his group.  However, I met people there that felt that electronics were not William's strong suit.  In part, I think this feeling arose because he was unwilling or chose not to consider that many people seriously want to use electronic instruments and engine information systems.  In part, William does not seem to consider the investment in a glass panel to be economically worthwhile for our light sporty and primarily VFR planes.

Although I understand his personal philosophy, I do not share it.  I certainly want a glass panel and modern electronic instrument information/analysis systems.  I also know that many Corvair users have installed such systems - at least as to the EIS, if not the actual primary flight instruments.

Ultimately, I think the key is to understand how your system works and to make the personal choice of how you want to balance your priorities.  There is no question that the Dynon can be used.  It is simply up to us builders to install it in such a way that we understand the possible failures and choose to accept (or not) those risks.

Michael Valentine
(Admittedly no where near the stage that any of this directly affects me yet!)

On 7/6/06, Gig Giacona <wr.giacona(at)cox.net (wr.giacona(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Gig Giacona" < wr.giacona(at)cox.net (wr.giacona(at)cox.net)>

First, the Dynon unit does have it's own battery available so you would still have access to the engine instruments should your electrical system fail.

Second, I really don't see how a Tach sensor could wig out and fail the ignition system. Though I  might be wrong and will conceed the point if someone could explain it to me.
Quote:
  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry,
?
For what it's worth, if you're going to install a Corvair in you're aircraft; I truly hope that you are following William Wynne's advice on your build. He has the most experience with the engine.
?
I had a face to face conversation with William regarding engine instrumentation a year or so ago. His theories made a lot of sense. He advocates using mechanical engine instruments. The primary reason is that they are immune to electrical system failures. With a total electrical system failure, running the engine on just the battery, his tests show that the ignition will run the engine down to I believe 9 volts (Don't quote me on that number). Anyway, the point is; you'll have a long time of full power to get yourself to an airport. With mechanical instruments, you will have less to worry about knowing what the engine is doing. He specifically mentioned that the Dynon units connect directly to the ignition. He cautions against instruments that might "wig-out" and short out the ignition system which will, of course stop the engine.

--------
W.R. &quot;Gig&quot; Giacona
601XL Under Construction
See my progress at www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

I don't think the possibility of a tachometer failing and bringing
down the connected ignition system is the interesting point
here. The real point is that the auto engine ignition system is
prone to single point failures in any part including the battery,
battery connectors, wiring, generator/alternator, and all the
ignition parts up to the spark plugs. If any of these parts fails
(with possible exception of a spark plug) then the engine stops
running. This happens frequently in automobile engines, but real
aircraft engines have dual isolated ignition systems that don't
depend on battery power to work (i.e. magnetos).

If you want aircraft engine reliability then install an aircraft
engine in your aircraft. If you are happy with auto engine
reliability then don't worry about the tachometer - just worry about
the whole thing.

Paul
XL fuselage
Quote:
First, the Dynon unit does have it's own battery available so you
would still have access to the engine instruments should your
electrical system fail.

Second, I really don't see how a Tach sensor could wig out and fail
the ignition system. Though I might be wrong and will conceed the
point if someone could explain it to me.

---------------------------------------

ch601xl(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Is this true about the Corvair? No duel Mags?

On 7/6/06, Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz < p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>

here.  The real point is that the auto engine ignition system is
ignition parts up to the spark plugs.  If any of these parts fails
running.  This happens frequently in automobile engines, but real

engine in your aircraft.  If you are happy with auto engine
the whole thing.

Paul
XL fuselage
Quote:
First, the Dynon unit does have it's own battery available so you
would still have access to the engine instruments should your
electrical system fail.

Second, I really don't see how a Tach sensor could wig out and fail
the ignition system. Though I  might be wrong and will conceed the

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1
http://ch-601xl.com

John.Hines(at)craftontull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

That is correct.  It uses a dual ignition distributor with dual coils and single spark plugs.

http://www.flycorvaircom/distributor.html

It’s all a matter of risk management and identifying an expectable level of risk.  Everything you do in life is a risk.  Going to work this morning in these hills with crazy drivers crossing the center line is definitely a risk.  But it was a risk I was willing to take to have the view out my back window.  To me, the view from my Corvair powered Zodiac will be worth the calculated risk. 

Get the latest copy of kit plane magazine.  There is a wonderful article in it about auto conversions and there problems and successes.  It also refers to people building auto conversions as having the true pioneer spirit that the EAA was founded on.  It’s a great read.

John

John R. HinesIT ManagerJohn.Hines(at)craftontull.com Office: 479-878-2449 Mobile: 479-366-4783 Fax: 479-631-6224 www.craftontull.com901 N. 47th Street, Suite 200 ·Rogers, AR 72756Crafton, Tull & Associates, Inc. exists to anticipate and understand the needs of our clients and provide them with successful solutions.

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Smith
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:45 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Dynon on Corvair engine

Is this true about the Corvair? No duel Mags?
On 7/6/06, Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz < p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>

here.  The real point is that the auto engine ignition system is
ignition parts up to the spark plugs.  If any of these parts fails
running.  This happens frequently in automobile engines, but real

engine in your aircraft.  If you are happy with auto engine
the whole thing.

Paul
XL fuselage

>First, the Dynon unit does have it's own battery available so you
>would still have access to the engine instruments should your
>electrical system fail.
>
>Second, I really don't see how a Tach sensor could wig out and fail
>the ignition system. Though I  might be wrong and will conceed the

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

601zv(at)ritternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

The typical Corvair conversion uses a William Wynne designed dual point ignition. See FlyCorvair.com
[quote] ---

p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

It is not clear to me whether Mr. Wynne's dual coil ignition system increases the reliability of the Corvair engine or reduces it.

Since the "Dual" parts are not isolated from each other (they are connected at the spark plugs and the battery/generator/voltage regulator) it is possible that failures of any of the additional components could bring down the whole engine.  It is clear that the additional components naturally lead to more individual component failures since there are more components.  I don't know how many of the component failure modes have been analyzed with regard to one failure causing another part to not work properly.  Without this analysis it is not possible to know whether the increased complexity leads to improvement or deterioration of the engine reliability.

In any event, failure of the battery, generator, voltage regulator, or any of the related wiring and connectors could lead to an instant engine failure.  This is not supposed to happen in true aircraft engines because the dual isolated magneto system doesn't rely on battery power to keep the engine running.  That leads me to believe the Corvair conversion, like all auto conversions, is more likely to experience a complete in-flight power failure than a purpose built aircraft engine.

Paul
XL Fuselage

Quote:
That is correct.  It uses a dual ignition distributor with dual coils and single spark plugs.

It’s all a matter of risk management and identifying an expectable level of risk.  Everything you do in life is a risk.  Going to work this morning in these hills with crazy drivers crossing the center line is definitely a risk.  But it was a risk I was willing to take to have the view out my back window.  To me, the view from my Corvair powered Zodiac will be worth the calculated risk. 

-

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Paul I know very little about the Corvair solution but if it is wired up correctly then the ignition systems will be isolated from each other

On my twin battery Subaru system it had a diode seperating the batteries and no inter connection between the systems was allowed anywhere. Each fuel pump was run from each battery. The HT leads also go through a coil joiner which are also diode protected..

Setup like this you could have your main battery melt down and catch fire but the engine would not quit.

I would put my Soob conversion up against any Lycoming for reliability ...At least I would now the valve guides don't fall out....Smile

Frank

HDS Soob 400 hours
RV7a Lycoming clone...Painting..still

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Paul Mulwitz
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:32 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Dynon on Corvair engine

It is not clear to me whether Mr. Wynne's dual coil ignition system increases the reliability of the Corvair engine or reduces it.

Since the "Dual" parts are not isolated from each other (they are connected at the spark plugs and the battery/generator/voltage regulator) it is possible that failures of any of the additional components could bring down the whole engine.  It is clear that the additional components naturally lead to more individual component failures since there are more components.  I don't know how many of the component failure modes have been analyzed with regard to one failure causing another part to not work properly.  Without this analysis it is not possible to know whether the increased complexity leads to improvement or deterioration of the engine reliability.

In any event, failure of the battery, generator, voltage regulator, or any of the related wiring and connectors could lead to an instant engine failure.  This is not supposed to happen in true aircraft engines because the dual isolated magneto system doesn't rely on battery power to keep the engine running.  That leads me to believe the Corvair conversion, like all auto conversions, is more likely to experience a complete in-flight power failure than a purpose built aircraft engine.

Paul
XL Fuselage

Quote:

-

Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Paul,  Purely anecdotal, I have been flying since about 1980.  I have experienced four in-flight complete engine stoppages.  All were in "legitimate," manufactured, certified airplanes.  None had anything to do with the ignition or electrical systems. I owe a lot to my training because I, nor any of my passengers nor the airplane, were physically harmed because of these failures. An airplane is a system.  As such, there are a lot things that can go wrong.  We just need to be acutely aware that we are engaging in a somewhat risky endeavour and to be ready to cope with whatever does go wrong.

Jay in Dallas, working on XL fuselage
Do not archive

admin(at)arachnidrobotics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Can't argue with that Paul.  Aside from the pioneering spirit, I think what leads people to choose the Corvair over the traditional Lycoming or Continental is the fact that the latter are damned heavy!  I have to admit, the decreased reliability is a concern for me, especially when I consider the fact that my children will someday fly with me. 
    Given the likelyhood that Lycoming will come up with a lighter weight engine (NOT!), the Corvair seems a solid choice when trying to get more bang for your buck in a light engine.   I would very much like to see somone come up with a 'Lycoming Style' ignition setup on the Corvair though.  How about it all you Gear Heads out there?  Got any ideas?

Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Quote:

Paul
XL Fuselage

Quote:

Itďż˝s all a matter of risk management and identifying an expectable level of risk.  Everything you do in life is a risk.  Going to work this morning in these hills with crazy drivers crossing the center line is definitely a risk.  But it was a risk I was willing to take to have the view out my back window.  To me, the view from my Corvair powered Zodiac will be worth the calculated risk. 

-

pmaxpmax(at)HOTMAIL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

I'm using a tooth counting tach, which counts the teeth on the ring gear.
It is totally separated from the elctrical system. For all the reasons you
just described. It works very nicely.

It is as Stewart Warner Deisel Engine tach that goes up to 3500 rpm.

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours
[quote]From: "Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis)" <frank.hinde(at)hp.com>
Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
To: <zenith-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:24:55 -0700

<frank.hinde(at)hp.com>

A tach could easily kill an ignition...All it has to do is short the
signal wire to ground and that ign will stop working.

Frank

--

pmaxpmax(at)HOTMAIL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Paul,

No offense intended, but you are showing your ignorance about the Corvair
conversion. I'm flying one.

If it is as you say, "not clear to you", why don't you accept the input of
experts and those who have been flying for years?

On second thought, don't answer that. Some people like one engine better
than another. In the future, could you please leave the Corvair discussion
to us who are interested in building and flying Corvair engines?

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours

Quote:
Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:32:15 -0700

It is not clear to me whether Mr. Wynne's dual coil ignition system
increases the reliability of the Corvair engine or reduces it.

<<SNIP>>

ch601xl(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

I know I am new to the list but this corvair stuff is just dumb. It seems no one can say the corvair has it's downsides. It has lots of downsides, that's because it's a car engine. But the reason most who choose it is for the cost savings. The engine does not have the data to prove it's reliability. Too few are flying. But I will wager that if you look at the engine failures per capita against a certified engines, it fails more often. One thing is clear.....Corvair people come off as rude when defending the choice. That is what is hurting the engine the most.

On 7/6/06, Phil Maxson <pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com (pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Phil Maxson" <pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com (pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com)>

Paul,

conversion.  I'm flying one.

On second thought, don't answer that.  Some people like one engine better
than another.  In the future, could you please leave the Corvair discussion

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours

Quote:
From: Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>
Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

I believe your position is perfectly reasonable. Car engine conversion can be wonderful but the cost in getting there (both financially and in reduced liability) can be large. My little piece in Kitplanes this month details out the painful trials of the Soob ea 81. The problem is the development curve. In other words when folks first start flying behind a particular conversion not all the bugs have been worked out, simply because not enough hours have been flown to show up all the issues.

In my Soob conversion it was valve guides and ignition systems in the Corvair it seems crankshafts have been the big problem. All of which is (or has been) resolvable but it take a lot of accumulated hours to find all the issues.

I would suggest that not a lot of folks appreciate this when they first get attracted to a particular engine conversion...Dollar signs (or lack of them) are a big motivator.

For me when i sold my airplane I was as convinced as I could be the bugs had been worked out in the engine department...But of course I can't be sure.

Purely personally a mid time O200 would have been a far better/cheaper/more reliable choice, but now the Zodiac I sold is well sorted after 400 hours of flying.

It is easy to get emotionally attached to a conversion...A bit like the second marriage one's selection criteria gets a lot more objective second time round....Smile

Frank
HDS 400 hours
Rv7a...Lycoming clone IO360....Smile

Do not archive

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Smith
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:33 PM

I know I am new to the list but this corvair stuff is just dumb. It seems no one can say the corvair has it's downsides. It has lots of downsides, that's because it's a car engine. But the reason most who choose it is for the cost savings. The engine does not have the data to prove it's reliability. Too few are flying. But I will wager that if you look at the engine failures per capita against a certified engines, it fails more often. One thing is clear.....Corvair people come off as rude when defending the choice. That is what is hurting the engine the most.

On 7/6/06, Phil Maxson <pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com (pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Phil Maxson" <pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com (pmaxpmax(at)hotmail.com)>

Paul,

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours

Quote:
From: Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>
Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1

John.Hines(at)craftontull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

What is it about the Corvair that brings this stuff out in people?  I’ve been on this list for 6 months and I have never seen the Subaru, Honda, Harley, or VW attacked the way the Corvair is routinely.  Some of the posts on both side’s of the issue have gotten kinda personal.  Corvair people were even asked to leave this forum once.  What’s the deal!! 

John

Do not archive

John R. HinesIT ManagerJohn.Hines(at)craftontull.com Office: 479-878-2449 Mobile: 479-366-4783 Fax: 479-631-6224 www.craftontull.com901 N. 47th Street, Suite 200 ·Rogers, AR 72756Crafton, Tull & Associates, Inc. exists to anticipate and understand the needs of our clients and provide them with successful solutions.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 3:33 PM

Paul,

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours

>From: Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>
>Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
>To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
>Subject: RE: Re: Dynon on Corvair engine
>Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:32:15 -0700
>
>It is not clear to me whether Mr. Wynne's dual coil ignition system

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

tigerrick(at)mindspring.c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

Hi, Chris, et al:

Sure, the Corvair engine has its share of downsides.  So does every other aero engine flying, including certificated ones.  And that's the beauty of the experimental category - we get to experiment, just as the name implies, with various airframe and powerplant solutions.

So blanket statements like "...this corvair stuff is just dumb", "...most who choose it is for the cost savings", and "Corvair people come off as rude...That is what is hurting the engine the most" are sure to raise the ire of those of us who have done the research, looked at the options, heard the word from on high, and made the decision to build up one of these beautiful little powerplants from a formerly automotive Corvair.

In my case, I first chose the engine (cost was NOT a factor), and then went out looking for the right airframe to stick on the back of it.  I'm more than convinced of its reliability and its suitably to haul my ample butt around, having read the conversion manual, talked to other Corvair flyers about their experiences, and spent considerable time with the man who has invested a considerable amount of his life bringing the engine to the aviation market.

In this little corner of aviation, blanket statements get shot down with alarming regularity given the variables inherent in each individual installation.  And those statements do little to further the legitimate educational dialogue, but tend to just polarize folks into "pro" and "anti" camps.  (Besides, it's just not friendly to imply that someone's an idiot after making an informed choice, when your own research is a bit lacking.)

And, I've had a forced landing due to an exhaust valve breaking up in a Lycoming O-360A4K.  I do know of a couple of Corvair engines that failed in flight, but I also know that putting excessive loads on any certified or non-certified crankshaft will eventually cause a failure.  Look at the rash of recent ADs concerning crankshaft retirement from Lycoming!

So, forgive us if we defend our engine choice with passion.  To do otherwise would indicate that we're really not capable of independent thought, and are content to only fly behind brand C or brand L engines for the remainder of our dull, uninspired, sheep-like lives.

Rick Lindstrom
Corvair / 601XL

Christopher Smith wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Paul,

Phil Maxson
601XL/Corvair
Northwest New Jersey
75 hours

>From: Paul Mulwitz <p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)>
>Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
>To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
>Subject: RE: Re: Dynon on Corvair engine
>Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:32:15 -0700
>
>It is not clear to me whether Mr. Wynne's dual coil ignition system

--
Christopher W. E. Smith
fly1m1

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Dynon on Corvair engine Reply with quote

WOW!  I am planning on using a Corvair engine, but at no time have I came off rude when talking to anyone in this group about the engine.  Your statement is what is RUDE!  If you don't have anything nice to say, go join the LYCOMING PEOPLE group and be rude there.  No, I am not defending my choice of engine.  I could care less what you think of my choice.  That is why it is my choice.  I am defending the fact that not ALL Corvair people are RUDE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: