Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

Yesterday I inadvertently posted that I was going to check for some Elk, so today I did so. None were to be found! I took some video anyway, and figured I would share. From the looks of things you are not having very nice weather in the East, but it was nice here today. A bit cool 42 degrees when I took off.

https://vimeo.com/156633142  password owyheeflyer
Larry

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

A bit cool????? I workt in -63F once. your temps re near-tropical. But many thanx your videos. Look forward to seeing some elk, sometime
Fair winds,
Russ K

Quote:
On Feb 24, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Yesterday I inadvertently posted that I was going to check for some Elk, so today I did so. None were to be found! I took some video anyway, and figured I would share. From the looks of things you are not having very nice weather in the East, but it was nice here today. A bit cool 42 degrees when I took off.
https://vimeo.com/156633142 password owyheeflyer

Larry
-- The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

west1m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: another video Reply with quote

Thanks for the Video Larry!
It's too cold for me to consider flyin' yet, good to see you out and about.

patrickjladd(at)hotmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

Nice video as always. Thanks. pity about the elk. Still, they are not very bright and have probably gone off to vote for Trump!!!. Pat

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:58 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: another video

https://vimeo.com/156633142  password owyheeflyer

Larry
--

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

All right Patrick!!   Did you mother call you by your proper name when you were a bad boy!! Smile       Herb

On 02/25/2016 04:05 AM, Patrick Ladd wrote:

Quote:
Nice video as always. Thanks. pity about the elk. Still, they are not very bright and have probably gone off to vote for Trump!!!.  Pat

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:58 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: another video

https://vimeo.com/156633142  password owyheeflyer

Larry  
--

--
Signature text; Fort Marcy Park? Sure...Mr. Foster...Third red light and turn left.

wrk2win4u

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

Excellent video Larry, as usual!

Kurt

Twinstar Mark III

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2016, at 18:03, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

https://vimeo.com/156633142 password owyheeflyer

Larry

--

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

The fact that our situation has gotten to the point where Trump or Hillary are the two most viable candidates to lead the nation.... THAT is the larger problem. It's a significant failure of both the Democratic and Republican party systems that they could not put forth a Kennedy, or a Reagan, or an Eisenhower, or a Truman.

Anyway, with that off my chest, I'm waiting for my Firestar kit to arrive, and I can't wait to get started on it. Can anyone here tell me which is the best or best compromise choice for wheels brakes and tires, for my particular intended use? I will be building up this Firestar specifically as an off-airport, back country, extreme STOL aircraft to explore small landing areas. I want to do the hilltops, and small mountain meadows, and dirt trails, the small clearings, etc. So for this I need large tires and good brakes.

Which combinations of wheels/brakes/tires have been successful on the Kolb aircraft for this type of mission?

Bill Berle
--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 2/25/16, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: another video
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016, 4:45 AM

All right Patrick!!   Did you mother call you by your
proper name
when you were a bad boy!! Smile       Herb

On 02/25/2016 04:05 AM,
Patrick Ladd
wrote:

Nice video as always. Thanks. pity about the
elk. Still,
they are not very bright and have probably gone
off to vote
for Trump!!!.  Pat

Cottrell

Sent: Thursday, February 25,
2016 12:58 AM

Subject: another
video

Yesterday I inadvertently posted
that I was
going to check for some Elk, so today I did
so. None were
to be found! I took some video anyway, and
figured I would
share. From the looks of things you are not
having very
nice weather in the East, but it was nice here
today. A
bit cool 42 degrees when I took off.

https://vimeo.com/156633142 
password owyheeflyer

Larry

--

The
older I get, the less tolerant
I am of
those who are
intolerant.

If you forward this email,
or any part
of it, please remove my email
address before
sending.

--
Signature text; Fort Marcy Park? Sure...Mr. Foster...Third
red light and turn left.

undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

Bill,

This is a very friendly forum and injecting politics into it is a sure
way to reduce that great quality. Please keep your political opinions
at the poker table. Thanks.

Good luck building your Firestar. There's lots of good advice to be had
here, so don't hesitate to ask.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

On 2/25/2016 12:53 PM, Bill Berle wrote:
Quote:

The fact that our situation has gotten to the point where Trump or Hillary are the two most viable candidates to lead the nation.... THAT is the larger problem. It's a significant failure of both the Democratic and Republican party systems that they could not put forth a Kennedy, or a Reagan, or an Eisenhower, or a Truman.

Anyway, with that off my chest, I'm waiting for my Firestar kit to arrive, and I can't wait to get started on it. Can anyone here tell me which is the best or best compromise choice for wheels brakes and tires, for my particular intended use? I will be building up this Firestar specifically as an off-airport, back country, extreme STOL aircraft to explore small landing areas. I want to do the hilltops, and small mountain meadows, and dirt trails, the small clearings, etc. So for this I need large tires and good brakes.

Which combinations of wheels/brakes/tires have been successful on the Kolb aircraft for this type of mission?

Bill Berle
On Thu, 2/25/16, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com> wrote:

Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016, 4:45 AM

All right Patrick!! Did you mother call you by your
proper name
when you were a bad boy!! Smile Herb

On 02/25/2016 04:05 AM,
Patrick Ladd
wrote:

Nice video as always. Thanks. pity about the
elk. Still,
they are not very bright and have probably gone
off to vote
for Trump!!!. Pat

Cottrell

Sent: Thursday, February 25,
2016 12:58 AM

Subject: another
video

Yesterday I inadvertently posted
that I was
going to check for some Elk, so today I did
so. None were
to be found! I took some video anyway, and
figured I would
share. From the looks of things you are not
having very
nice weather in the East, but it was nice here
today. A
bit cool 42 degrees when I took off.

https://vimeo.com/156633142
password owyheeflyer

Larry

--

The
older I get, the less tolerant
I am of
those who are
intolerant.

If you forward this email,
or any part
of it, please remove my email
address before
sending.

--
Signature text; Fort Marcy Park? Sure...Mr. Foster...Third
red light and turn left.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

One of the tire companies is now making "tundra tires" that will fit on the 6 inch rims that most are using. There was a recent (last 6 months) I think from Nick Cassara about them. Fairly spendy however. I have 800 x 6 on my firestar with the tires secured by screws so that I can run 6 lbs of air. Other wise the tires spin when you land and shear off the valve stems. I personally prefer individual brakes, and a breakaway tail wheel. You will also need to brace the tail post, so that it can withstand the pressures put on it by the individual braking.

I have 6 inch mech brakes, and it seems to be able to do the job for me. I got on them a bit hard last year and it caused the plane to do little jumps as it was bouncing the plane back up in the air. So I know that I get all the braking that I need. I would prefer ?possibly? the hydrallic ones but that requires buying two entire systems to have individual. 

You will of course need VG's, and for that I would recommend JC Gilpin.  
  http://www.stolspeed.com/
Then of course you will need the 36 inch long tempered steel gear legs, making sure that you have the heavy duty axle fittings.
I also recommend a Spot tracking unit, so that if worse comes to worse they will know where to find you.
That will give you the best possibility to survive what you plan to do. The only other thing that you will need is training, and some pretty big cahones.
Larry

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Bill

--

overshoot.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.57 KB
 Viewed:  8427 Time(s)

overshoot.JPG

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

Larry how do you put screws into the tires without puncturing the inner tube, or generating cracks in the rim? If I'm seeing your photo right, are you flying your FS up there in NV someplace? Where are you based?

I am planning on VG's (I know, I know... some people think they work and others don't), and I am planning on an aluminum sheeted leading edge, and some other STOL mods bouncing around in my head.

Larry does your FS have flaperons, or separate flaps, or no flap features?

I do have a little bit of training already, although it is not the formal back country training like you can take classes in Idaho. I was once a sailplane racer in the western US, and I've had my share of off-airport landings in the gilders, in some really strange places (like the helicopter pad at the USMC Mountain Warfare training facility in Bridgeport). I will be starting off a little conservatively, especially since it will be a new type of aircraft for me.

Tell me about bracing the tailpost... braced in which direction, and braced to what?

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

On Thu, 2/25/16, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016, 11:00 AM

One of the tire
companies is now making "tundra tires" that will
fit on the 6 inch rims that most are using. There was a
recent (last 6 months) I think from Nick Cassara about them.
Fairly spendy however. I have 800 x 6 on my firestar with
the tires secured by screws so that I can run 6 lbs of air.
Other wise the tires spin when you land and shear off the
valve stems. I personally prefer individual brakes, and a
breakaway tail wheel. You will also need to brace the tail
post, so that it can withstand the pressures put on it by
the individual braking.
 I have 6 inch mech brakes, and it seems to be
able to do the job for me. I got on them a bit hard last
year and it caused the plane to do little jumps as it was
bouncing the plane back up in the air. So I know that I get
all the braking that I need. I would prefer ?possibly? the
hydrallic ones but that requires buying two entire systems
to have individual. 
You will of course need VG's, and for that I
would recommend JC Gilpin.  
Then of course you will need the 36 inch long
tempered steel gear legs, making sure that you have the
heavy duty axle fittings.
I also recommend a Spot tracking unit, so that if
worse comes to worse they will know where to find
you.
That will give you the best possibility to
survive what you plan to do. The only other thing that you
will need is training, and some pretty big
cahones.Larry

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016
at 10:53 AM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
-->
Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net>

Anyway, with that off my chest, I'm waiting for my
Firestar kit to arrive, and I can't wait to get started
on it. Can anyone here tell me which is the best or best
compromise choice for wheels brakes and tires, for my
particular intended use? I will be building up this Firestar
specifically as an off-airport, back country, extreme STOL
aircraft to explore small landing areas. I want to do the
hilltops, and small mountain meadows, and dirt trails, the
small clearings, etc. So for this I need large tires and
good brakes.

Which combinations of wheels/brakes/tires have been
successful on the Kolb aircraft for this type of mission?

Bill

--
The older I get, the less
tolerant I am of those who are
intolerant.
If you forward this email, or any part of
it, please remove my email address before sending.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Wheel-Rim-to-Tire-Screw-Kit/756883/10002/-1  It was pointed out to me that you could get the screws cheaper than what I spent on these. YOu just need to have the right size drill bit because you want to cut some threads into the rim. I don't think you are going to have any problem with Alum rims cracking.
The rim is aluminum, and the bead of the tire is big enough that the screws don't touch the tube. I did however use a washer between the screws and the rim to make sure. Almost all of the tundra tires are secured to the rim with screws.
Firestar's do not have flaps or flaperons. I have been told that they don't need them.
I don't know about alum leading edges and stuff, but the plane will perform better the lighter it is. Your decision of course.
Disclaimer: I am not a "builder" as such. All and any advice is worth what you paid for it.
Larry
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Larry how do you put screws into the tires without puncturing the inner tube, or generating cracks in the rim? If I'm seeing your photo right, are you flying your FS up there in NV someplace? Where are you based?

I am planning on VG's (I know, I know... some people think they work and others don't), and I am planning on an aluminum sheeted leading edge, and some other STOL mods bouncing around in my head.

Larry does your FS have flaperons, or separate flaps, or no flap features?

I do have a little bit of training already, although it is not the formal back country training like you can take classes in Idaho. I was once a sailplane racer in the western US, and I've had my share of off-airport landings in the gilders, in some really strange places (like the helicopter pad at the USMC Mountain Warfare training facility in Bridgeport). I will be starting off a little conservatively, especially since it will be a new type of aircraft for me.

Tell me about bracing the tailpost... braced in which direction, and braced to what?

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

On Thu, 2/25/16, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
 Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016, 11:00 AM

One of the tire
 companies is now making "tundra tires" that will
 fit on the 6 inch rims that most are using. There was a
 recent (last 6 months) I think from Nick Cassara about them.
 Fairly spendy however. I have 800 x 6 on my firestar with
 the tires secured by screws so that I can run 6 lbs of air.
 Other wise the tires spin when you land and shear off the
 valve stems. I personally prefer individual brakes, and a
 breakaway tail wheel. You will also need to brace the tail
 post, so that it can withstand the pressures put on it by
 the individual braking.
  I have 6 inch mech brakes, and it seems to be
 able to do the job for me. I got on them a bit hard last
 year and it caused the plane to do little jumps as it was
 bouncing the plane back up in the air. So I know that I get
 all the braking that I need. I would prefer ?possibly? the
 hydrallic ones but that requires buying two entire systems
 to have individual. 
 You will of course need VG's, and for that I
 would recommend JC Gilpin.  
 Then of course you will need the 36 inch long
 tempered steel gear legs, making sure that you have the
 heavy duty axle fittings.
 I also recommend a Spot tracking unit, so that if
 worse comes to worse they will know where to find
 you.
 That will give you the best possibility to
 survive what you plan to do. The only other thing that you
 will need is training, and some pretty big
 cahones.Larry

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016
 at 10:53 AM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>
 wrote:
 -->
 Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Anyway, with that off my chest, I'm waiting for my
 Firestar kit to arrive, and I can't wait to get started
 on it. Can anyone here tell me which is the best or best
 compromise choice for wheels brakes and tires, for my
 particular intended use? I will be building up this Firestar
 specifically as an off-airport, back country, extreme STOL
 aircraft to explore small landing areas. I want to do the
 hilltops, and small mountain meadows, and dirt trails, the
 small clearings, etc. So for this I need large tires and
 good brakes.

Which combinations of wheels/brakes/tires have been
 successful on the Kolb aircraft for this type of mission?

Bill

--
 The older I get, the less
 tolerant I am of those who are
 intolerant.
 If you forward this email, or any part of
 it, please remove my email address before sending.

===========
br> fts!)
r> > w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
===========

--

tire.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  8425 Time(s)

tire.JPG

rudder_brace.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.15 KB
 Viewed:  8425 Time(s)

rudder_brace.jpg

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: another video Reply with quote

These are the largest tires I could find for a 6" rim. There may be some that are larger in diameter but they are also much wider and width causes a lot of drag for little or no improvement on the ground. This tire comes in two versions. One with a full set of treads and one that is considerably lighter and has a lot of the rubber removed from the tread.

http://www.desser.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=3F1FE0C9AD1D4CADBD51347914A186EF

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

These tires ( Buffed smooth) are actually about 4 pounds lighter than the 800 x6 that I currently have on my plane. They will also make your wallet a lot lighter as well.Larry 
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Jason Omelchuck <jason(at)trek-tech.com (jason(at)trek-tech.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jason Omelchuck" <jason(at)trek-tech.com (jason(at)trek-tech.com)>

These are the largest tires I could find for a 6" rim.  There may be some that are larger in diameter but they are also much wider and width causes a lot of drag for little or no improvement on the ground.  This tire comes in two versions.  One with a full set of treads and one that is considerably lighter and has a lot of the rubber removed from the tread.

http://www.desser.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=3F1FE0C9AD1D4CADBD51347914A186EF

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453223#453223

===========
br> fts!)
r> > w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: another video Reply with quote

I agree.  Doubt I'd pay that much money for someone to wear the tread off my tire.

I have run 8x6 air trac ribs for many, many hours and made many, many landings.  Still have a lot of life left in them.  I don't notice the weight.  Have enough horses note to have to worry about a couple pounds here and there.  I run 6 psi in mine without screws, but the MATCO rims grab much better than the rims Larry C is using.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Re: another video

These tires ( Buffed smooth) are actually about 4 pounds lighter than the 800 x6 that I currently have on my plane. They will also make your wallet a lot lighter as well.
Larry

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Jason Omelchuck <jason(at)trek-tech.com (jason(at)trek-tech.com)> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jason Omelchuck" <jason(at)trek-tech.com (jason(at)trek-tech.com)>

These are the largest tires I could find for a 6" rim. There may be some that are larger in diameter but they are also much wider and width causes a lot of drag for little or no improvement on the ground. This tire comes in two versions. One with a full set of treads and one that is considerably lighter and has a lot of the rubber removed from the tread.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453223#453223

===========
br> fts!)
===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><![endif]>

--

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: