Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arplast news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpeng

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Arplast news Reply with quote

A Google translation of Nigel's post.
Regards
Kevin

Following the loss of a very long trial, Arplast was placed in receivership. Alain Petit, founder and boss Arplast, one of the few industry professionals who will not be content to sell but will be personally involved in the development of ULM particular via the competition for nearly 40 years, threw in the towel at the age of 71. As for the after-sales service thousands of propellers that rotate, a welcome solution is about to be announced.
Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Arplast news Reply with quote

Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, at 10:59 PM, Kevin <kpeng1(at)hotmail.co.uk (kpeng1(at)hotmail.co.uk)> wrote:
A Google translation of Nigel's post.Following the loss of a very long trial, Arplast was placed in receivership. Alain Petit, founder and boss Arplast, one of the few industry professionals who will not be content to sell but will be personally involved in the development of ULM particular via the competition for nearly 40 years, threw in the towel at the age of 71. As for the after-sales service thousands of propellers that rotate, a welcome solution is about to be announced.

British humor continues to escape this Yank...
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kpeng

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Arplast news Reply with quote

It's been like that since the year DOT!! ....It's what makes us special Smile

Sent from my iPad

On 22 Sep 2015, at 15:54, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, at 10:59 PM, Kevin <kpeng1(at)hotmail.co.uk (kpeng1(at)hotmail.co.uk)> wrote:
A Google translation of Nigel's post.Following the loss of a very long trial, Arplast was placed in receivership. Alain Petit, founder and boss Arplast, one of the few industry professionals who will not be content to sell but will be personally involved in the development of ULM particular via the competition for nearly 40 years, threw in the towel at the age of 71. As for the after-sales service thousands of propellers that rotate, a welcome solution is about to be announced.

British humor continues to escape this Yank...
[quote][b]

italianjon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Arplast news Reply with quote

Just bumping this topic because of this line:-

"As for the after-sales service thousands of propellers that rotate, a welcome solution is about to be announced."

Has anyone heard what the welcome solution is yet?

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Arplast news Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
There is a company that is hoping to be able to make and supply blades for
Arplast Props. There is the little remaining problem of getting them
approved by the LAA and this could take a while even if there are no issues.
Don't hold your breath.
This information is from the LAA. I trust you are not in immediate need of
blades.
Pete

--

italianjon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Arplast news Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Trust you're well.

I don't need blades, I think Confused

I am still trying to track down this vibration issue, progress has been slow over the last few months due to work pressures taking all of my time. Anyway, the gearbox work has, so far, not revealed anything obvious.

There is one point of concern on the propeller though. If I pull blades 1 and 3 outwards with a moderate force and try and twist the blade there is no play - it is rigid. But on blade 2 there is a bit of play which I estimate could alter the blade pitch by 3 to 4 degrees. It seems to be a worn plastic block, that sits in the swash plate. I even think you mentioned it when you had a look at the propeller. At that time you noticed it and said it looked OK. But I think it's worse now. If I recall, when we assembled it at yours, there was hardly any play. I also think the vibration could be a little worse now as well, but still not detectable by me sitting in the plane while on the ground. It does appear when airborne, even one single circuit. I am trying to understand what the different effects of a stationary, but spinning prop, and an airborne prop, at velocity are; and if that could give me a clue.

I am also trying to borrow a few vibration sensors from work to give me some data to look at, instead of using Mk 1 eyeball Very Happy That could also show me it is present on the ground, because I wondering if the buffet you get while a prop is spinning at cruise RPM on the ground is hiding it.

The swash plates sits about half way up the plastic block, and you can see evidence of wear/pressure on the plastic, which leads to a gap between the surface that is not contacting the swash plate, and the swash plate itself. It is about 0.2 to 0.3mm.

I have checked the blade track and that is almost perfect. It's less than 1mm total deviation.

So my thoughts are starting to think about a single blade flutter.

It appears that if I could get hold of a single set of dogs, or set of plastic blocks, to replace the ones on blade 2, I could take up the play to the swash plate. Then see if that works, by removing this play on blade 2.

I didn't have my camera with me on Sunday, but I was going to video it and send it to you and ask what you though.

Best

Jon

kennethatkinson178(at)bti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Arplast news Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I have the Arplast and have had some vibration issues that sound similar
to your own.
I have found some wear in the small square nylon blocks and also in the
brass 6 mm actuator screw.
I am monitoring this and would like to renew these items.
Probably, I could make them ,but would prefer to obtain some correct
specification replacements.
The shouldered allen screws holding the nylon blocks are peened over in
the clamped collar and, therefore would require machining out to release
them. Correct spec. replacements would be required.
The 6mm brass screw would be fairly easy to manufacture but is pinned
into the drive dog and could be a bit fiddly to carry out.
I wonder if the new people may also supply the above items?
Cheers Ken.
G-CEKV KIT 19 370 hrs

On 09/03/2016 21:53, italianjon wrote:
Quote:

Hi Pete,

Trust you're well.

I don't need blades, I think Confused

I am still trying to track down this vibration issue, progress has been slow over the last few months due to work pressures taking all of my time. Anyway, the gearbox work has, so far, not revealed anything obvious.

There is one point of concern on the propeller though. If I pull blades 1 and 3 outwards with a moderate force and try and twist the blade there is no play - it is rigid. But on blade 2 there is a bit of play which I estimate could alter the blade pitch by 3 to 4 degrees. It seems to be a worn plastic block, that sits in the swash plate. I even think you mentioned it when you had a look at the propeller. At that time you noticed it and said it looked OK. But I think it's worse now. If I recall, when we assembled it at yours, there was hardly any play. I also think the vibration could be a little worse now as well, but still not detectable by me sitting in the plane while on the ground. It does appear when airborne, even one single circuit. I am trying to understand what the different effects of a stationary, but spinning prop, and an airborne prop, at velocity are; and if that could give me a clue.

I am also trying to borrow a few vibration sensors from work to give me some data to look at, instead of using Mk 1 eyeball Very Happy

The swash plates sits about half way up the plastic block, and you can see evidence of wear/pressure on the plastic, which leads to a gap between the surface that is not contacting the swash plate, and the swash plate itself. It is about 0.2 to 0.3mm.

I have checked the blade track and that is almost perfect. It's less than 1mm total deviation.

So my thoughts are starting to think about a single blade flutter.

It appears that if I could hold of a single set of dogs, or set of plastic blocks, to replace the ones on blade 2, I could take up the play to the swash plate. Then see if that works, by removing this pay on blade 2.

I didn't have my camera with me on Sunday, but I was going to video it and send it to you and ask what you though.

Best

Jon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453608#453608

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

italianjon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Arplast news Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

It's comforting to know that I am not alone. The worst part is no real source of information. As you mention, the specs would be nice, even to source a supplier for our own parts.

I looked last week at the Nylon blocks and, I agree, they don't look easy to replace. The best option seems to be if a complete set of dogs with blocks can be sourced. Otherwise I foresee a small swing press being needed.

What symptoms do you have? Mine is an RPM dependent seemingly low frequency low amplitude vibration that you can mainly feel through the rudder pedals and the fuselage/wheel well if I lean my thighs against them.

It only becomes apparent once airborne, and flap setting, airspeed, even blade pitch seem to have no effect. Only the change in the RPM. But it seems to always be present, through all RPM values, and no real change in the amplitude. So I don't think a resonance is being established anywhere.

I feel OK flying circuits or just off the circuit, but it's just enough to knock the confidence to go further afield.

Best regards

Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: