Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

I have a two fold problem or maybe just 2 separate problems or maybe the second item is not a problem at all.

Went to take a friend for a ride Sat. and the engine started fine. Looked at the instruments with the Alternator switch on and the Dynon read zero voltage and said the internal ( Dynon ) battery was going to shut down shortly. Alternator is Nippon Denso 40 amp ( 3) wire. Could the master solenoid fail after start so that the alternator could not see the voltage.
Switch was still on. I cycled the Alt switch several times but did not cycle the master. We pulled the plane back in the hangar and checked all connections and turned the master on. It read battery voltage at 13.6 v. I have never had this problem before.

Pulled it back out and it started right up and everything worked as it should.

So I turned off the master with the alt. switch still on and the voltage started up 15, 16, 17 and as I turned the master back on it dropped immediately to 13.6 and then went to charging at 14.4 to 14.6 and not running away. All power is connected downstream of the master solenoid. I am thinking the residual voltage in the alternator went back to the post on the master and fed thru the Alt on switch on the positive buss and back to the Alternator and that started a runaway. I did not think to turn the Alt switch off but I think that would have stopped it as well since it would not sense a reference voltage.

Can anyone verify that my thinking is correct about the alternator runaway and / or the solenoid failing after start. I have not had a chance to fly since re-installing the cowl.

Be nice - I don't have a Nomex flight suit.

Bobby

Age 77

An analog guy in a digital world

do not archive.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Bobby,
Can you give us a little more detail...
What kind of airplane?

Do you have an electrical drawing of the system?

What part of the country are you in?

-Jeff

On Monday, April 4, 2016 3:43 PM, "BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net" <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net> wrote:

I have a two fold problem or maybe just 2 separate problems or maybe the second item is not a problem at all.

Went to take a friend for a ride Sat. and the engine started fine. Looked at the instruments with the Alternator switch on and the Dynon read zero voltage and said the internal ( Dynon ) battery was going to shut down shortly. Alternator is Nippon Denso 40 amp ( 3) wire. Could the master solenoid fail after start so that the alternator could not see the voltage.
Switch was still on. I cycled the Alt switch several times but did not cycle the master. We pulled the plane back in the hangar and checked all connections and turned the master on. It read battery voltage at 13.6 v. I have never had this problem before.

Pulled it back out and it started right up and everything worked as it should.

So I turned off the master with the alt. switch still on and the voltage started up 15, 16, 17 and as I turned the master back on it dropped immediately to 13.6 and then went to charging at 14.4 to 14.6 and not running away. All power is connected downstream of the master solenoid. I am thinking the residual voltage in the alternator went back to the post on the master and fed thru the Alt on switch on the positive buss and back to the Alternator and that started a runaway. I did not think to turn the Alt switch off but I think that would have stopped it as well since it would not sense a reference voltage.

Can anyone verify that my thinking is correct about the alternator runaway and / or the solenoid failing after start. I have not had a chance to fly since re-installing the cowl.

Be nice - I don't have a Nomex flight suit.

Bobby

Age 77

An analog guy in a digital world

do not archive.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator Reply with quote

It seems that the Dynon lost power for some reason, bad avionics switch or loose connection anywhere between the master contactor and power bus. The vast majority of electrical problems are due to bad connections. Check every switch and terminal before suspecting more expensive parts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: