Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switchology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedy11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Switchology Reply with quote

Two different topics to address.

First, there are guarded switch covers in red and green (I own some) that are very lightweight, can be added to any normal-sized (not mini) toggle switch, and lock the toggle switch in one direction and cover the switch (guarded) in the other direction. Closing the guard does not turn "off" the switch. (Off means the other switch position - which may or may not be "off") We had them in the F-16 and they functioned very well.  They can be purchased at reasonable prices at air shows and aviation swap meets - I bought mine at Sun n Fun several years ago. Off hand, I do not have a ready source for the switch guards, but I suspect I could locate them in short order. If anyone is at Sun n Fun this week they could probably find them. Due to space limitations and the design of my switch panel, I decided to not use them, but the design and function of them is excellent. If so desired, the switch guards could be repainted to any desired color and even add stripes.

Now, the second subject of why to use protected switches.
1. Build your airplane the way you want it - not to the opinion of others. Listen to others, consider their opinion and build it the way you want. If you want protected switches, then use them. You don't have to explain yourself or make excuses for your design. When someone says, "Why did you do that?" the answer is "Because I like it."
2. The US military uses guarded switch covers in many applications.  The military has studied human ergonomics and how we use the switches and they have developed excellent solutions. I am not embarrassed to piggyback on their ideas. However, military situations are different that your personal airplane. The military has to plan for an inexperienced 18-25 year old to manipulate controls (switches) without error. As a result, guarded switches can be a valuable asset - especially when actuating munitions release. Since you built and are very familiar with the switch layout in your personal airplane and since you don't have to worry about designing for inexperienced people, guarded switches may be of limited value-added. Lever-lock, on the other hand, can be very valuable. The F-16 also had lever-lock switches for some applications.
3. Unintended activation of a switch in turbulence is a definite concern.  Many times in 21k hours I have (or could have were it not for a safety feature) bumped switches in turbulence. It is also a concern (even in smooth air) when two important switches are located side-by-side that a guard requiring specific action to actuate the switches be used.
4. OBAM is the leading edge of general aviation. We lead the way and the certificated builders take an appropriately more cautious approach. An example is the use of glass cockpits in smaller, piston-powered GA. OBAM led the way in GA glass 25 years ago. It wasn't as high tech as now, but OBAM was able to push the edge of the envelope. So, with our position as industry leaders it is appropriate for us to do things differently. OBAM methodology may turn out to not be the best way or to add no value to the process of flying, but it is important that we try different approaches. If a particular idea does not add value, then we tell other builders about our experiences so they can decide how to personalize the airplanes. THAT is what is so different about OBAM aircraft that causes designers, builders and users of these aircraft to incorporate protected switches. Build it the way that you like it.  If it turns out to be a no-value-added item, then take it out. Very little is lost and knowledge is gained.

Keep experimenting - and don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Regards,

Stan . . .

-------------------------------------------------------

Most off-the-shelf switch covers will force the
switch to one side when closed. Operating the switch
requires that the cover be opened before the switch
can be moved . . . and the cover must remain open.
Closing the cover forces the switch back.

You have to work pretty hard to find covers that
allow 'protection' in either switch position.

------------------------------------------------------------------

What is so different about the OBAM aviation aircraft,
the designers, builders and users of these aircraft
that make protected switches so attractive . . . or
even a good idea?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Switchology Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, the second subject of why to use protected switches.
1. Build your airplane the way you want it - not to the opinion of others. Listen to others, consider their opinion and build it the way you want. If you want protected switches, then use them. You don't have to explain yourself or make excuses for your design. When someone says, "Why did you do that?" the answer is "Because I like it."

. . . nuff said.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjfortin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Switchology Reply with quote

Waytek carries the toggle switch guards in four different colors, red, green, blue, and yellow. Minimum order is 4 but they are only $1.29 EA.

www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=toggle%20switch%20guards&sc=1413&Toggle-Type=Safety-Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: