Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powering the EFIS system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Group

I am beginning to install the EFIS G3X system from GARMIN in the RV-10, and I have to put power into (not more not less than) 12 devices (2 Display units, 2 ADAHRS, 1 engine module, 3 autopilot servos and so on).
In some devices there are 2 independent power inputs.

I am trying to figure out which will be the best architecture for the power circuits to these 12 devices.
I know that some of you are against the single Avionics switch, and I am leaning to agree, not including that single point of failure, but how about the distribution system?
I am not searching for opinions on the breaker or fuses discussion, just to know what other people did or recommend to do with busses and circuits.

I should add that I have a dual battery /dual alternator energy system.
All good suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
along(at)aanet.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

I can only point you to what I did and the reason.

I have configured for IFR and high levels of redundancy.

refer to my build log: www.ozrv10.com and see what I did.

It is very much a personal decision and comfort zone.

Regards,
Andrew

On 20-Apr-16 8:36 AM, Carlos Trigo wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Group

I am beginning to install the EFIS G3X system from GARMIN in the RV-10, and I have to put power into (not more not less than) 12 devices (2 Display units, 2 ADAHRS, 1 engine module, 3 autopilot servos and so on).

I am trying to figure out which will be the best architecture for the power circuits to these 12 devices.
I know that some of you are against the single Avionics switch, and I am leaning to agree, not including that single point of failure, but how about the distribution system?
I am not searching for opinions on the breaker or fuses discussion, just to know what other people did or recommend to do with busses and circuits.

Thanks
Carlos 

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

philperry9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Carlos,
The lid is off the can of worms. This should be interesting! I've found that coating my wires in chromate primer has benefits too. Wink
All seriousness, though I can see people breaking out the flame throwers already, what does your main buss look like? Single Alt / Single Battery? Dual alt (hot/standby) single battery, etc....
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 19, 2016, at 5:36 PM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

All my avionics operate off a separate buss which is a blade fuse block. My single avionics switch operates a miniature 30 amp relay that powers the block.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 04/19/2016 6:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com, rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: Powering the EFIS system

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

On 4/19/2016 10:17 PM, davidsoutpost wrote:

Quote:
All my avionics operate off a separate buss which is a blade fuse block.  My single avionics switch operates a miniature 30 amp relay that powers the block.

To minimize the single point failure mode, you should wire the switch to remove power to the relay in the 'on' position, and wire the relay so that when the relay is off it supplies power to the avionics fuses.
No matter which part fails .... the switch or the relay ..... the avionics fuse block still gets power.
Linn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

So I understand this,,,,the buss will always have power to it no matter the switch position?

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:34:22 PM
Subject: Re: Powering the EFIS system

Quote:
All my avionics operate off a separate buss which is a blade fuse block. My single avionics switch operates a miniature 30 amp relay that powers the block.

To minimize the single point failure mode, you should wire the switch to remove power to the relay in the 'on' position, and wire the relay so that when the relay is off it supplies power to the avionics fuses.
No matter which part fails .... the switch or the relay ..... the avionics fuse block still gets power.
Linn

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

On 4/19/2016 10:55 PM, David Clifford wrote:

Quote:
So I understand this,,,,the buss will always have power to it no matter the switch position?

No.  When the SPDT switch is in the 'off' position it supplies power to the relay which is 'on' and the NC contacts remove power to the buss.

It's the inverse of what most builders will do .... SP switch on, relay on to supply power to the buss through the NO contacts.  With this wiring method the relay is not needed if the switch has the proper current rating.  I don't know what David's panel current draw really is but think it's way less than 30 amps.

Fuses are there to protect the wires from excess current, not the equipment attached.  So, if you have 6 ea. 5A fuses ..... that's 30A! If every electrical item in my plane is on and stable I draw less than 6 amps.  Strobes on startup and radio transmitting will add some more.
Linn

Quote:

From: "Linn Walters" <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:34:22 PM
Subject: Re: Powering the EFIS system

Quote:
All my avionics operate off a separate buss which is a blade fuse block.  My single avionics switch operates a miniature 30 amp relay that powers the block.

Linn

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Thank you David

Please indicate the part# and source for the miniature relay you used.

And a picture of your fuse block installation would also be very welcome …

Cheers
Carlos 

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost
Sent: quarta-feira, 20 de Abril de 2016 03:18
Subject: RE: Powering the EFIS system

From: Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com), rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Powering the EFIS system

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

While you can build this up yourself much cheaper (you can get a standard relay with the diode in it for around $15 or so) , but basically this is the same thing we do for our customers and have pre-wired it for them with the relay, buss bar, etc.. all ready to go…

http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=672

Cheers,
Stein

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:26 AM

Thank you David

Cheers
Carlos

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost

To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com), rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Stein,

As you promote an avionics relay type approach, I’d appreciate an understanding of why one would want to use this or any “avionics master” switch scheme.  As far as I can see this adds a unnecessary common failure mode for loss of the panel.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Stein Bruch
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:08 PM

While you can build this up yourself much cheaper (you can get a standard relay with the diode in it for around $15 or so) , but basically this is the same thing we do for our customers and have pre-wired it for them with the relay, buss bar, etc.. all ready to go…

Cheers,
Stein

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo

Thank you David

Cheers
Carlos

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

I really don’t desire to get into that primer war! J

That said, if you desire to have an avionics master switch (which I’m not necessarily promoting or not promoting) a relay is almost always a “must” because most switches are not rated to handle that current load. Of course you can design a system so as to not need or want an avionics master, but if you do then a relay is usually (not always) a good idea.  If you want an avionics master and your system is designed for one, then go for it. If you don’t want one or design around it, then don’t use one…

Is that enough of a politicians answer!?!?! Ha!

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carl Froehlich
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:28 PM

Stein,

As you promote an avionics relay type approach, I’d appreciate an understanding of why one would want to use this or any “avionics master” switch scheme. As far as I can see this adds a unnecessary common failure mode for loss of the panel.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Stein Bruch

Cheers,
Stein

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo

Thank you David

Cheers
Carlos

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

I used one of these I had laying around from another project. Its mounted behind the IP on the sub-panel, and is wired with 10 gauge from my main 12 volt power stud to the fuse block. Fuse blocks I used are from Steinair. The fuse blocks are mounted also behind the IP on the sub-panel. Fuse blocks are behind the pilot side accessible by removing the GDU 370 & GDU 375 displays. Sorry but I don't have a picture handy

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:26:19 AM

Thank you David

Cheers
Carlos

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost
Subject: RE: RV10-List: Powering the EFIS system

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

BitBill-12V-font-b-12-b-font-font-b-Volt-b-font-font-b-30-b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.31 KB
 Viewed:  9387 Time(s)

BitBill-12V-font-b-12-b-font-font-b-Volt-b-font-font-b-30-b.jpg

jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

Relays are really pretty reliable. Also are very much cheaper than the electronic systems. Spend $15 for and extra one and carry it with you as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Stein Bruch <stein(at)steinair.com (stein(at)steinair.com)> wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I really dont desire to get into that primer war! J

That said, if you desire to have an avionics master switch (which Im not necessarily promoting or not promoting) a relay is almost always a must because most switches are not rated to handle that current load. Of course you can design a system so as to not need or want an avionics master, but if you do then a relay is usually (not always) a good idea. If you want an avionics master and your system is designed for one, then go for it. If you dont want one or design around it, then dont use one

Is that enough of a politicians answer!?!?! Ha!

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Carl Froehlich
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:28 PM

Stein,

As you promote an avionics relay type approach, Id appreciate an understanding of why one would want to use this or any avionics master switch scheme. As far as I can see this adds a unnecessary common failure mode for loss of the panel.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Stein Bruch

While you can build this up yourself much cheaper (you can get a standard relay with the diode in it for around $15 or so) , but basically this is the same thing we do for our customers and have pre-wired it for them with the relay, buss bar, etc.. all ready to go

Cheers,
Stein

Do not archive

Thank you David

And a picture of your fuse block installation would also be very welcome

Cheers
Carlos

Group

Thanks
Carlos

Sem vrus. www.avast.com

Sem vrus. www.avast.com

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

I don't like the 'wire the relay backwards (avionics on when relay off)' approach.
1. Every time you turn on the master you give your radios a short pulse of power (until the relay pulls up)
2. If your starter pulls enough current to result in 'brown-out (significant drop in buss voltage) your avionics power relay may drop out at exactly the wrong time - subjecting your avionics to a low voltage. Some modern avionics do not tolerate low input voltages very well.

At the least I'd look for a relay with low drop out voltage ratings.
Switches and relays are cheap enough to put in two, one for backup.

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

On 4/20/2016 9:32 PM, Bob Turner wrote:
Quote:

I don't like the 'wire the relay backwards (avionics on when relay off)' approach.
That's OK too. I'd hate to have a failure of either the switch or relay

.... wired conventionally ..... that killed all my avionics.
Quote:
1. Every time you turn on the master you give your radios a short pulse of power (until the relay pulls up)
I've never hung a 'scope on the avionics buss, but I suspect the

avionics inrush current would keep that pulse rather small.
Quote:
2. If your starter pulls enough current to result in 'brown-out (significant drop in buss voltage) your avionics power relay may drop out at exactly the wrong time - subjecting your avionics to a low voltage. Some modern avionics do not tolerate low input voltages very well.
I have 'exit sign' batteries for each of my two EFIS panels as backups

for alternator/ships battery failure. I can power up the EFIS without
turning on ships power. No brownout, no reboot no matter how low the
ships power gets.
Quote:
At the least I'd look for a relay with low drop out voltage ratings.
Not a bad idea.

Linn
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=455271#455271

johngoodman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Powering the EFIS system Reply with quote

I used the Vertical Power solution. Take a look at it.
John

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: