Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fyi sea foam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: fyi sea foam Reply with quote

I think there has been a tacit agreement not to mention sea foam on the list,,,, I know what happened last time but I hope what I have to share is useful, and that I will be forgiven.
a while back I shared with the list about the carb float bowl vent tube that had kinked..... going back to the same incident,,, while trying to figure that problem,, an older gentleman offered me a bottle of sea foam free of charge and told me it would fix everything with the way the engine was running... I’m thinking snake oil here..... I calculated  what I needed for the fuel in my tank and poured it in, figuring that it would not hurt. now this is the interesting bit... I’ve been flying my mk iii for 16 years now, and I fly quite regular. for the first five to 6 years or so I never noticed any differences in the engine, operating temperatures, but in the last 10 years or so I had noticed about a 10 deg clime in my EGT and also higher EGT temps when flying WOT in straight and level flight, my EGT would clime to the limit programmed on my EIS and flash my master warning light,, even my wife has noticed... in order to lower the EGT, I could make the engine work harder by pulling the plane into a climb, or reducing the throttle setting. because everything has always run and started so smooth, I guess I had figured that the temp difference was due to the thermocouples changing over time... during the past couple of annual inspections, I removed the jets and gave them a shot of carb cleaner. they looked clean, and I reassembled and noticed no change. now after removing the kink in the carb float bowl line, the 912 purred like it has for over 860 hours...   but to my surprise,,, no my big surprise, over the next hour or two,,,, my exhaust temps were back down to the same numbers as they were in my first 5 years. after noticing this I did a WOT run at straight and level without bumping the limit on my EIS...... all I can figure is the snake oil,,,,,,,,, opps sea foam did some magic. last weekend I visited with a mechanic of 50 years or so and asked what he knew about the stuff.. he gave it high praise, indicated it works like a fuel injector cleaner. he mentioned that in addition to the varnish in mo gas, even the dye in the fuel would coat the jets and build up over time. carb cleaner would MAYBE clean it out if left to soak for long enough time,,, acetone would work faster but still needed to soak. sea foam worked better and the man hours involved  to clean things up was a lot less. now if something is plugged so it wont run smooth, disassembly is still needed, followed by a tank treated with sea foam,, or other fuel injector cleaner. moral to the story,,,, every year or two a tank of fuel mixed with a little snake oil,,,, ooooh aa aaa ahhhh agghhhh sea foam. will be in my to do list.

oh and by the way,,, the young man that stayed around and helped with the kinked line,,,, I handed him a 20 and told him to take the sea foam donor to lunch on me and tell him thanks. for the benefit that I received, it was a very inexpensive stop.... now if someone tells me that sea foam is $ 30.00 a bottle I will feel like a cheep scape. I don’t know what it cost or where to get it. but something tells me I will by the end of the day.

Boyd Young
912 powered MKIII with normal EGT’S
Brigham City Utah

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
pc.king(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: fyi sea foam Reply with quote

Boyd,

Walmart or any auto parts store carries Sea Foam on the shelf.

PCKing

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: fyi sea foam Reply with quote

If it works, it works.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of b young
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:55 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: fyi sea foam

I think there has been a tacit agreement not to mention sea foam on the list,,,, I know what happened last time but I hope what I have to share is useful, and that I will be forgiven.

a while back I shared with the list about the carb float bowl vent tube that had kinked..... going back to the same incident,,, while trying to figure that problem,, an older gentleman offered me a bottle of sea foam free of charge and told me it would fix everything with the way the engine was running... I’m thinking snake oil here..... I calculated what I needed for the fuel in my tank and poured it in, figuring that it would not hurt. now this is the interesting bit... I’ve been flying my mk iii for 16 years now, and I fly quite regular. for the first five to 6 years or so I never noticed any differences in the engine, operating temperatures, but in the last 10 years or so I had noticed about a 10 deg clime in my EGT and also higher EGT temps when flying WOT in straight and level flight, my EGT would clime to the limit programmed on my EIS and flash my master warning light,, even my wife has noticed... in order to lower the EGT, I could make the engine work harder by pulling the plane into a climb, or reducing the throttle setting. because everything has always run and started so smooth, I guess I had figured that the temp difference was due to the thermocouples changing over time... during the past couple of annual inspections, I removed the jets and gave them a shot of carb cleaner. they looked clean, and I reassembled and noticed no change. now after removing the kink in the carb float bowl line, the 912 purred like it has for over 860 hours... but to my surprise,,, no my big surprise, over the next hour or two,,,, my exhaust temps were back down to the same numbers as they were in my first 5 years. after noticing this I did a WOT run at straight and level without bumping the limit on my EIS...... all I can figure is the snake oil,,,,,,,,, opps sea foam did some magic. last weekend I visited with a mechanic of 50 years or so and asked what he knew about the stuff.. he gave it high praise, indicated it works like a fuel injector cleaner. he mentioned that in addition to the varnish in mo gas, even the dye in the fuel would coat the jets and build up over time. carb cleaner would MAYBE clean it out if left to soak for long enough time,,, acetone would work faster but still needed to soak. sea foam worked better and the man hours involved to clean things up was a lot less. now if something is plugged so it wont run smooth, disassembly is still needed, followed by a tank treated with sea foam,, or other fuel injector cleaner. moral to the story,,,, every year or two a tank of fuel mixed with a little snake oil,,,, ooooh aa aaa ahhhh agghhhh sea foam. will be in my to do list.

oh and by the way,,, the young man that stayed around and helped with the kinked line,,,, I handed him a 20 and told him to take the sea foam donor to lunch on me and tell him thanks. for the benefit that I received, it was a very inexpensive stop.... now if someone tells me that sea foam is $ 30.00 a bottle I will feel like a cheep scape. I don’t know what it cost or where to get it. but something tells me I will by the end of the day.

Boyd Young

912 powered MKIII with normal EGT’S

Brigham City Utah

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: