Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STOL Bush Kolb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

Experience: Hang Gliders starting in 1976.
I built 4 Terratorn Aircraft in the 80's.
1 weight shift, 1 Two Axis, & 2 Three axis Tierras.
Foot Launch Powered Paragliders and Powered Paraglider Trikes since 2002 to present.

I now want to go back to fixed wing and it looks like the Kolb is the way to go.
Goals: STOL is top priority. The slower I can take off and land in no wind the better. I love to fly Low & Slow just boating around.
My current weight is 240 Lbs with no hope of losing any weight.
I want the largest Bush Gear possible.
With a Rotax 503 what is the best prop for STOL?
I am considering the FS 1 or FS 2.
Does the FS 1 and FS 2 have the same wing area?
I am not interested in the Firefly as I believe to achieve my goals the more wing area the better.
I am totally open to suggestions.
If anyone has any pictures, videos, links to people who have what I am interested in doing I would love to hear from you. Any information on where to strengthen any of the areas on the Kolb such as the landing gear sockets, landing gear, rudder post, tail wheel etc. etc would be appreciated.
Mike MacPherson
Pequea PA.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

If you can find a Firestar I in good condition I would prefer it to a Firestar II. A friend of mine has one, and it will out perform mine any day for what you are talking about. It is a bit faster as well. It will need VG's, stronger gear legs, bigger tires, and a bigger gas tank, but that is all.Larry
.https://vimeo.com/69917549 password - owyheeflyer

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM, mikemac <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com (mmacpherson(at)homesale.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "mikemac" <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com (mmacpherson(at)homesale.com)>

Foot Launch Powered Paragliders and Powered Paraglider Trikes since 2002 to present.

I now want to go back to fixed wing and it looks like the Kolb is the way to go.
Goals:   STOL is top priority. The slower I can take off and land in no wind the better.   I love to fly Low & Slow just boating around.
Does the FS 1 and  FS 2 have the same wing area?
I am not interested in the Firefly as I believe to achieve my goals the more wing area the better.
If anyone has any pictures, videos, links to people who have what I am interested in doing I would love to hear from you. Any information on where to strengthen any of the areas on the Kolb such as the landing gear sockets, landing gear, rudder post, tail wheel etc. etc would be appreciated.
Mike MacPherson
Pequea PA.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=456879#456879

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

I am in almost the same position and desire as you. No Kolb experience but a reasonable amount of experimental airplane experience.

I am building a Firestar 2 kit. I got a good deal on an HKS engine, which is apparently one of the better choices for this aircraft.

STOL takeoff capability is determined by the balance between three things on ANY aircraft:

1) The amount of lift your wing can make, which includes the lift coefficient of the airfoil, the amount of wing area you have to make lift out of airspeed, and also usually includes the angle of attack you have available for takeoff.

2 The mass of the aircraft, which determines how fast you accelerate, and also determines the minimum speed at which the wing needs to go in order to make enough lift to fly.

3) The thrust available to accelerate that given mass to the magic speed.

Improving any one of these three factors will shorten a takeoff roll, and/or reduce the speed you need to fly.

So by all rights and reason, for any airplane that operates within the laws of physics, to achieve your goal you need to minimize weight/mass because that affects two important things at once... then you need to maximize lift (which includes anything from the vortex generators to flaperon setting, to gap seals, to taller landing gear legs)... and then you need to maximize thrust (which is fairly easy if you don't need to go fast... get the better quality and advanced design prop and adjust prop pitch for the highest low speed thrust).

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Sun, 6/5/16, mikemac <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com> wrote:

Subject: STOL Bush Kolb
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, June 5, 2016, 11:03 AM

"mikemac" <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com>

Foot Launch Powered Paragliders and Powered Paraglider
Trikes since 2002 to present.

I now want to go back to fixed wing and it looks like the
Kolb is the way to go.
Goals:   STOL is top priority. The slower I
can take off and land in no wind the
better.   I love to fly Low & Slow just
boating around.
My current weight is 240 Lbs with no hope of losing any
weight.
I am not interested in the Firefly as I believe to achieve
my goals the more wing area the better.
If anyone has any pictures, videos, links to people who have
what I am interested in doing I would love to hear from you.
Any information on where to strengthen any of the areas on
the Kolb such as the landing gear sockets, landing gear,
rudder post, tail wheel etc. etc would be appreciated.
Mike MacPherson
Pequea PA.

Forum -
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

You left out reducing drag. Same result as increasing thrust. One very good way to do that is to seal the rudder end of the boom tube. See the attached photo. The Winter ASI just below the altimeter is connect to a tube measuring airflow coming back up the boom tube. At 72 mph indicated the wind flowing back up the boom is moving at 25 mph. That's a fair amount of drag to delete.

Rick Girard
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

I am in almost the same position and desire as you. No Kolb experience but a reasonable amount of experimental airplane experience.

I am building a Firestar 2 kit. I got a good deal on an HKS engine, which is apparently one of the better choices for this aircraft.

STOL takeoff capability is determined by the balance between three things on ANY aircraft:

1) The amount of lift your wing can make, which includes the lift coefficient of the airfoil, the amount of wing area you have to make lift out of airspeed, and also usually includes the angle of attack you have available for takeoff.

2 The mass of the aircraft, which determines how fast you accelerate, and also determines the minimum speed at which the wing needs to go in order to make enough lift to fly.

3) The thrust available to accelerate that given mass to the magic speed.

Improving any one of these three factors will shorten a takeoff roll, and/or reduce the speed you need to fly.

So by all rights and reason, for any airplane that operates within the laws of physics, to achieve your goal you need to minimize weight/mass because that affects two important things at once... then you need to maximize lift (which includes anything from the vortex generators to flaperon setting, to gap seals, to taller landing gear legs)... and then you need to maximize thrust (which is fairly easy if you don't need to go fast... get the better quality and advanced design prop and adjust prop pitch for the highest low speed thrust).

Bill Berle
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

On Sun, 6/5/16, mikemac <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com (mmacpherson(at)homesale.com)> wrote:

Subject: STOL Bush Kolb
 To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
 Date: Sunday, June 5, 2016, 11:03 AM

--> Kolb-List message posted by:
 "mikemac" <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com (mmacpherson(at)homesale.com)>

Foot Launch Powered Paragliders and Powered Paraglider
 Trikes since 2002 to present.

I now want to go back to fixed wing and it looks like the
 Kolb is the way to go.
 Goals:   STOL is top priority. The slower I
 can take off and land in no wind the
 better.   I love to fly Low & Slow just
 boating around.
 My current weight is 240 Lbs with no hope of losing any
 weight.
 I am not interested in the Firefly as I believe to achieve
 my goals the more wing area the better.
 If anyone has any pictures, videos, links to people who have
 what I am interested in doing I would love to hear from you.
 Any information on where to strengthen any of the areas on
 the Kolb such as the landing gear sockets, landing gear,
 rudder post, tail wheel etc. etc would be appreciated.
 Mike MacPherson
 Pequea PA.

Forum -
    - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
 MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
 List Contribution Web Site -
               -Matt
 Dralle, List Admin.

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

Boom_tube_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.26 KB
 Viewed:  8884 Time(s)

Boom_tube_2.jpg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Girard
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2016 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: STOL Bush Kolb

You left out reducing drag. Same result as increasing thrust. One very good way to do that is to seal the rudder end of the boom tube. See the attached photo. The Winter ASI just below the altimeter is connect to a tube measuring airflow coming back up the boom tube. At 72 mph indicated the wind flowing back up the boom is moving at 25 mph. That's a fair amount of drag to delete.

Rick Girard

Rick G/Kolbers:

Did you block the tail boom?

How much airspeed did the aircraft pick up?

Which end of the tail boom did you block?

Does it make a difference which end to block?

Which end is most effective?

I know a lot of cold air comes through the tail boom and up the back of my neck.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

That's really interesting to have air flowing forward through the boom tube... wow !!

My first guess as to the cause is that there is a low pressure being "felt" at the front of the boom tube. This can be caused by a couple of things. The airflow swirling around the pilot and fuel tanks coiuld cause an area of low pressure behind the pilot, and the front of the boom tube could be near this low pressure area. Also, remember that the propeller creates low pressure in front of itself, and high pressure behind itself. The front of the boom tube is near this low pressure as well.

I really doubt that there is a higher than normal pressure at the back of the tube that is "blowing" air forward, because there is nothing back there to cause that high pressure. It seems likely to me that there is "suction" at the forward end of the tube "pulling" air forward.

Very interested to hear what the difference is before/after you plug the tube.
Bill Berle

On Sun, 6/5/16, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: STOL Bush Kolb
Date: Sunday, June 5, 2016, 9:10 PM

[mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf
Of Richard Girard
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2016 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: STOL Bush
Kolb
 You left
out reducing drag. Same result as increasing thrust. One
very good way to do that is to seal the rudder end of the
boom tube. See the attached photo. The Winter ASI just below
the altimeter is connect to a tube measuring airflow coming
back up the boom tube. At 72 mph indicated the wind flowing
back up the boom is moving at 25 mph. That's a fair
amount of drag to delete.  Rick
Girard  

Rick G/Kolbers:  Did you block the tail boom?
 How much airspeed did the
aircraft pick up?  Which end of the tail boom did
you block?  Does it make a difference which
end to block?  Which end is most
effective?  I know a lot of cold air comes
through the tail boom and up the back of my
neck.  john hmkIIITitus,
Alabama

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal. wrote:
That's really interesting to have air flowing forward through the boom tube... wow !!
<snip>
Very interested to hear what the difference is before/after you plug the tube.
Bill Berle

The difference is you don't have a boatload of freezing air blowing on your right side in the winter.
I fixed mine years ago by taking part of an old foam rubber mattress and cutting an oversize round plug out of it, then cutting four slits for the control cables in the appropriate places and cramming it into the tube right behind the gear. It's still there. Didn't notice any change in performance.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

The difference is you don't have a boatload of freezing air blowing on your
right side in the winter.
I fixed mine years ago by taking part of an old foam rubber mattress and
cutting an oversize round plug out of it, then cutting four slits for the
control cables in the appropriate places and cramming it into the tube right
behind the gear. It's still there. Didn't notice any change in performance.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Wonder if it will help reduce noise. Seems like the prop swinging by the
tail boom might amplify noise and send it up the tube into the cockpit.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

[quote="John Hauck"
Wonder if it will help reduce noise. Seems like the prop swinging by the
tail boom might amplify noise and send it up the tube into the cockpit.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama[/quote]

Sounds logical but didn't notice any difference.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
rowedenny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: STOL Bush Kolb Reply with quote

Only thing I'd add to what others said is if you go with the 503 use a C or E gearbox with the 3.47 to 1 ratio and the appropriate Warp Drive prop.

Dennis "Skid" Rowe

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2016, at 2:03 PM, mikemac <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com> wrote:

Goals: STOL is top priority. The slower I can take off and land in no wind the better. I love to fly Low & Slow just boating around.
Does the FS 1 and FS 2 have the same wing area?
Mike MacPherson
Pequea PA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: