Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Firestar Checklist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

When buying a used Firestar 1 or 2, would you please list what you would want to find out. I have never owned a Kolb. Any suggestions appreciated.
I was told by some local high time kolb jockies to make sure it is a seven rib as opposed to five. Thank you in advance for any help.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

I just bought a used Firestar, and I found a potentially dangerous problem with one of the bolt holes in the wing spar attach lug (the piece of thick steel sheet coming out of the wing root).

The hole had been drilled far far too close to the edge of the metal, and under certain loads, gusts, or other flight conditions could easily have caused a crash.

Although these are of mcourse non-certified airplanes, the FAA and the engineering community have researched this and come up with a very clear explanation of "edge distance" for structural fastener holes for certified aircraft. Because this is primary life or death safety, this is one area where ultralights, experimentals, and commercial airplanes all need to adhere to the same principle.

Measuring from the CENTER of the hole, you need to have at least two times the diameter of the bolt before you reach the edge of the piece of metal.This is a rule for "sheet metal", which in general is anything under 1/8 inch thick. Plates (above 1/8 inch), tubes and billet have different limitations for fastener attachments.
Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Sun, 8/7/16, mikemac <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com> wrote:

Subject: Used Firestar Checklist
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, August 7, 2016, 10:22 AM

"mikemac" <mmacpherson(at)homesale.com>

When buying a used Firestar 1 or 2, would you please list
what you would want to find out. I have never owned a Kolb.
Any suggestions appreciated.
I was told by some local high time kolb jockies to make sure
it is a seven rib as opposed to five. Thank you in advance
for any help.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459295#459295

Forum -
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

Bill,

Good thing you caught that, you certainly don't want a bolt hole pulling out during flight.

Since that hole is drilled during the alignment of the wing to fuselage you can't just drill a new hole somewhere else without messing with the alignment of the wing. In some cases the recommended procedure to fix an out of alignment wing is to weld the hole shut and re-drill it in the proper place.

So this leaves the question, is the wing currently aligned properly?

If not, perhaps moving the hole will fix two problems at once.

If the wing is aligned properly, then there may (stress only may) be a problem with the wing elsewhere. A couple of things come to mind like covering might have pulled the wing out of "square" or something was not built properly internally.

I would start by getting it into a flight attitude, level in all directions and start checking things like wing angle and square. Also look for any "twist" that should not be there.

Curious about a couple of things. Has this plane flown? Did you buy it from the builder? If you look down the leading edge, do the wings align?

Give Bryan at the factory a call, I bet he has seen this before and will know the best way to proceed.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. Post pictures too. Might help someone else.

Stuart

--

racerjerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

Just exactly how much "meat" is left at the narrowest point between the hole and edge? I am betting you don't need ANY mod as 4130 is plenty strong. Caliper measurerment?

For a reinforcement, maybe you could weld a washer to each side and not disturb alignment? Or sandwich a 4130 plate of similar thickness to one side (better). See if there is enough room.

I remember when setting my own Firestar up, that I wanted a bit more edge distance myself, so I set the tiniest degree of forward sweep into the wings.

Last edited by racerjerry on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

The edge distance problem in this case is that sweepback would make the problem worse rather than better.The hole is too close to the inboard edge of the mounting lug.

Sweep forward would resolve this particular issue, but then it would create a lot of other problems. It's not the right way to do it.

I consulted with a VERY highly experienced aerospace engineer with 50 years of experience. This is not a matter for a "garage" fix or a "that's about right" approach. His recommendation was also to verify the wing alignment, and make up a patch plate doubler that was bolted to the existing lug. The problem is that welding up the hole often creates a hard spot where it becomes difficult to drill back out accurately.

The airplane had apparently been flown, the tachometer shows 147 hours. I bought it from the second owner, who had not flown it. The story I got was that the builder flew it, did a little damage to it one day, repaired PART of the damage, fixed the fabric at the wingtip, and repainted the airplane. So the damaged wingtip was repaired, but the slightly longeron tubes in the forward fuselage were not bent back into place. I am betting he replaced the nose cone, because in order to bend those tubes the way he did the nose cone would have shown a fiberglass repair.

Last Saturday, after consulting with my engineer on the wing mounting lug, I carefully bent the longeron tubes back into place using bar clamps and a scissor jack, and got everything almost straight as new. A little more work will get it perfect, but I need to figure out the right tool for that.

Bill Berle
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

On Mon, 8/8/16, racerjerry <gnking2(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: Used Firestar Checklist
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016, 8:56 AM

"racerjerry" <gnking2(at)verizon.net>

Just exactly how much "meat" is left at the narrowest point
between the hole and edge?  I am betting you don't need
ANY mod as 4130 is plenty strong.  Caliper
measurerment?

For a reinforcement, maybe you could weld a washer to each
side and not disturb alignment?  Or sandwich  a
4130 plate of similar thickness to one side (better). See if
there is enough room.

I remember when setting my own Firestar up, that I wanted a
bit more edge distance myself, so I set the tiniest degree
of sweepback into the wings.

--------
Jerry King

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459326#459326

Forum -
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

Bill,

Sounds like you are on the right track about this.

I do like the idea of adding "more tab". Welding would be ideal. Welding a hole shut does pose hardening problems, usually solved with "normalizing" heating. Neither are things I would like to do after the wing is covered, but it can be done with careful planning.

If after checking alignment you determine that a new hole has to be drilled, perhaps you could over size the existing hole and weld in a short steel tube of the proper ID. That way you don't have to drill through a weld bead but you can relocate the hole by moving the tube around in the oversized hole. Alignment could be tricky.

The idea of sandwiching some flat steel on one or both sides of the existing tab is a good one provided you have the space to put some bolts. I would think at least two would be preferred so that the extension cannot pivot around the clamping bolt(s).

If the plane was damaged enough to bend fuselage parts, keep looking and checking everything. Sounds like you have quite a project on your hands, hopefully it is all just cosmetic stuff.

Stuart

--

rmurrill(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

Before "fixing" it I would suggest your very experienced aerospace engineer
do some basic calculations of the loads on the fitting. He will be well
aware of how to calculate the "lug efficiency factor" for the steel part.
The largest load is in the transverse direction for this part not the
usually worrisome lug tension direction, so he will need both the lift and
drag forces carried by the fitting. The lift strut actually puts a fair
amount of compression into the fitting. Should be pretty easy to estimate.
Also compare the strength to the adjacent load carrying parts. Best of
luck..

Bob
--

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

You guys are certainly on the right track with your thinking too Smile

My engineer (who I am SO lucky to have available!!!) looked at the fitting and estimated that the loads are.. about... in THAT direction. The combination of lifting loads, drag loads, and the inward force from the wing struts were all taken into account.

This particular engineer is more than capable of setting up a classic engineering "Free Body" diagram and calculating the loads and directional vectors on the fasteners exactly. But in this case his experience indicated that the calculations would very likely indicate that a good "factor of safety" and conservative thinking would both point to adding material around the hole.

I believe that he suggested a bolted doubler instead of a welded doubler only for the sake of heat management, since there are rivets and fabric near the fitting that would be affected. Welding large washers tot he fitting would certainly also be an option.

But I believe that the actual repair will be guided by how well the wings are aligned, as one or two of you have mentioned. If the alignment is poor, then the hole should be moved, which leads me more toward the extra effort of welding. If the hole alignment is accurate, then a doubler system (with two additional bolts to prevent rotation) maty be the easier way to achieve the same strength.

While I'm on this subject, I would like to ask a question about this wing mounting lug system.

The mounting lug on the spar fitting looks like it is .090 steel material. The space between the "Ears" or lugs on the square fuselage tube looks like there is 3/8 or 1/2 inch between them. So even though the wing cannot slide fore and aft (because of the trailing edge U-joint), there are still unsupported gaps between the spar fitting and the fuselage lugs. In this case, that means the bolt or pin is not really in proper "double shear" load, the open space on both sides of the spar fitting allows a bending load at the unsupported parts of the bolt/pin shank.

Can anyone tell me if there is any good reason for this gap to be there? It would seem to me that a short section of tube welded in to the spar fitting would put that wing bolt/pin in proper "double shear" load. I'm NOT saying that the Kolb design is defective, I'm asking why this critical bolt is not supported in the gap between the fuselage lugs.
Bill Berle

On Mon, 8/8/16, Bob <rmurrill(at)cox.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: Re: Used Firestar Checklist
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016, 10:25 AM

"Bob" <rmurrill(at)cox.net>

Before "fixing" it I would suggest your very experienced
aerospace engineer
do some basic calculations of the loads on the
fitting.  He will be well
aware of how to calculate the "lug efficiency factor" for
the steel part.
The largest load is in the transverse direction for this
part not the
usually worrisome lug tension direction, so he will need
both the lift and
drag forces carried by the fitting.  The lift strut
actually puts a fair
amount of compression into the fitting.  Should be
pretty easy to estimate.
Also compare the strength to the adjacent load carrying
parts.  Best of
luck..

Bob

--

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist Reply with quote

I'm not a structural engineer,,, so think on this,,,   when the wing I's creating lift the lift strut (because of the triangular geometry)  pulls the wing to the center.   with almost equal sizes of wing panels inboard and outboard from the liftstrut,  the in board attach fitting should have very little up or down pressure.   

with that said the edge distance should be most affected by the drag pulling the wing back.
  but without wind tunnel testing I don't know which force is greater.
Boyd Young

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: