Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

That stood out to me the first time I saw it too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft before it was a little odd looking.

After considering the how's and why's of the situation it appeared to me that since the fuselage and root rib are produced at the factory, the rest of it is up to the builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled at the factory but it is up to the builder to drill the final hole in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment. This allows for correction of minor differences from one wing to another.

The factory very well could build the fuselage with tight fitting tabs and set the root rib up properly and drill that tab too. However, that means that if the builder makes any variations in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be compensated for at a later time.

My other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a couple of times is that the gap between the fuselage and rib tabs is a good thing. It makes single handed assembly much easier than if it were a close tolerance fit. I have helped install wings on planes where it took 4 people to get it to line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the holes.

Just as a thought process, the force it takes to bend the pin has to be way lower than the force it would take to shear the pin were it a close tolerance fit. On my Firefly the pins are 5/16" aircraft grade. I have not looked up the shear strength as I trust that I am too much of a chicken pilot to ever get anyway near that amount of force. I would bet that that force it takes to even bend that pin is still way above my flying skills.

So my take is that since there are no known issues with this setup it has to be way stronger than needed, and the ease of use is the reason it was made that way.

My BIGGEST concern with this pin joint is to make DARN sure I don't forget the safety pin! In that vein I have established a "procedure" that works for me since I fold and unfold for every flight.

When starting to assemble for flight. I remove all 4 pins and safety clips for the wings and place them on the seat where they are easily reached. Swing the wing into place and rest it on the struts at a slight angle so the wing wants to rotate into the top joint. Insert the upper pin and safety it right then and there. Install the strut and pin and safety it right then and there. Move on to the other wing and repeat.

Then I install the aileron rods and pin and safety. Then I do a visual inspection of all 6 pins and safety pins.

Once the tail is in place I then do a complete pre-flight inspection. Start at the same point each time and inspect each part in order as I walk around the plane. The pins and safety pins get inspected again for a third time as I work my way around.

There is more to my procedures (habits) than this, but you get the idea about how paranoid I am about the pins and safeties. All this probably adds 15 minutes to my getting ready to go over the time it would take if I didn't have to unfold it.

Also when folding it up, I put the pins and fasten the safety pins back in the holes of the fuselage. Just a habit I try to enforce to assure things are "right" the next time I go out.

Stuart

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

Yes, but the rear universal joint should keep the main wing spar fitting at a fixed fore-aft distance, which should not change other than a few thousandths due to heat expansion. So there is no scenario where the wing fitting will move forward or rearward in the fuselage fitting it could be a lot closer without any chance of having it difficult to put together.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 8/8/16, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> wrote:

Subject: RE: Re: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016, 12:20 PM

"Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net>

That stood out to me the first time I saw it too. Having
only worked on "certified" aircraft before it was a little
odd looking.

After considering the how's and why's of the situation it
appeared to me that since the fuselage and root rib are
produced at the factory, the rest of it is up to the
builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled at the
factory but it is up to the builder to drill the final hole
in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment. This
allows for correction of minor differences from one wing to
another.

The factory very well could build the fuselage with tight
fitting tabs and set the root rib up properly and drill that
tab too. However, that means that if the builder makes any
variations in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be
compensated for at a later time.

My other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a
couple of times is that the gap between the fuselage and rib
tabs is a good thing. It makes single handed assembly much
easier than if it were a close tolerance fit. I have helped
install wings on planes where it took 4 people to get it to
line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the holes.

Just as a thought process, the force it takes to bend the
pin has to be way lower than the force it would take to
shear the pin were it a close tolerance fit. On my Firefly
the pins are 5/16" aircraft grade. I have not looked up the
shear strength as I trust that I am too much of a chicken
pilot to ever get anyway near that amount of force. I would
bet that that force it takes to even bend that pin is still
way above my flying skills.

So my take is that since there are no known issues with this
setup it has to be way stronger than needed, and the ease of
use is the reason it was made that way.

My BIGGEST concern with this pin joint is to make DARN sure
I don't forget the safety pin! In that vein I have
established a "procedure" that works for me since I fold and
unfold for every flight.

When starting to assemble for flight. I remove all 4 pins
and safety clips for the wings and place them on the seat
where they are easily reached. Swing the wing into place and
rest it on the struts at a slight angle so the wing wants to
rotate into the top joint. Insert the upper pin and safety
it right then and there. Install the strut and pin and
safety it right then and there. Move on to the other wing
and repeat.

Then I install the aileron rods and pin and safety. Then I
do a visual inspection of all 6 pins and safety pins.

Once the tail is in place I then do a complete pre-flight
inspection. Start at the same point each time and inspect
each part in order as I walk around the plane. The pins and
safety pins get inspected again for a third time as I work
my way around.

There is more to my procedures (habits) than this, but you
get the idea about how paranoid I am about the pins and
safeties. All this probably adds 15 minutes to my getting
ready to go over the time it would take if I didn't have to
unfold it.

Also when folding it up, I put the pins and fasten the
safety pins back in the holes of the fuselage. Just a habit
I try to enforce to assure things are "right" the next time
I go out.

Stuart

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

Good advice about setting up, Stuart,
When I was new with my FlagFly at a new airstrip, there was the pilot seen at every airport who knows everything, has all the experiences to prove it, and beats your ear with it all.
One day he was telling me all about himself as I set up my FF and did my pre-flight.  After flying for an hour and returning, when I folded the wings I discovered I had failed to safety pin one of the wing pins.  I'm reluctant to hurt anyone's feelings, but from that time on, when I was setting up or pre-flighting, there was NO, and I mean NO chat with others, unless there was a hangar fire.  Rather he's hurt than me hanging from my BRS and falling into a woods far from my base and any nearby roads !!
Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
On 8/8/2016 3:20 PM, Stuart Harner wrote:

[quote] [quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net) That stood out to me the first time I saw it too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft before it was a little odd looking. After considering the how's and why's of the situation it appeared to me that since the fuselage and root rib are produced at the factory, the rest of it is up to the builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled at the factory but it is up to the builder to drill the final hole in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment. This allows for correction of minor differences from one wing to another. The factory very well could build the fuselage with tight fitting tabs and set the root rib up properly and drill that tab too. However, that means that if the builder makes any variations in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be compensated for at a later time. My other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a couple of times is that the gap between the fuselage and rib tabs is a good thing. It makes single handed assembly much easier than if it were a close tolerance fit. I have helped install wings on planes where it took 4 people to get it to line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the holes. Just as a thought process, the force it takes to bend the pin has to be way lower than the force it would take to shear the pin were it a close tolerance fit. On my Firefly the pins are 5/16" aircraft grade. I have not looked up the shear strength as I trust that I am too much of a chicken pilot to ever get anyway near that amount of force. I would bet that that force it takes to even bend that pin is still way above my flying skills. So my take is that since there are no known issues with this setup it has to be way stronger than needed, and the ease of use is the reason it was made that way. My BIGGEST concern with this pin joint is to make DARN sure I don't forget the safety pin! In that vein I have established a "procedure" that works for me since I fold and unfold for every flight. When starting to assemble for flight. I remove all 4 pins and safety clips for the wings and place them on the seat where they are easily reached. Swing the wing into place and rest it on the struts at a slight angle so the wing wants to rotate into the top joint. Insert the upper pin and safety it right then and there. Install the strut and pin and safety it right then and there. Move on to the other wing and repeat. Then I install the aileron rods and pin and safety. Then I do a visual inspection of all 6 pins and safety pins. Once the tail is in place I then do a complete pre-flight inspection. Start at the same point each time and inspect each part in order as I walk around the plane. The pins and safety pins get inspected again for a third time as I work my way around. There is more to my procedures (habits) than this, but you get the idea about how paranoid I am about the pins and safeties. All this probably adds 15 minutes to my getting ready to go over the time it would take if I didn't have to unfold it. Also when folding it up, I put the pins and fasten the safety pins back in the holes of the fuselage. Just a habit I try to enforce to assure things are "right" the next time I go out. Stuart --

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

Boy ain’t that the truth! Distractions are just trouble waiting to happen.

Even though it is a PITA, I always put the pins in from the front and the safety clips on the back, just in case. The theory being that they will be more likely to stay in place.

IF I had a hangar where I didn’t have to fold every flight, I would consider replacing the pin with a bolt and probably use some spacer tubing fore and aft of the rib tab to fill up the gap so that some torque could be applied to the bolt. Then all of this would be merely academic. J

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dave Kulp
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting

Good advice about setting up, Stuart,
When I was new with my FlagFly at a new airstrip, there was the pilot seen at every airport who knows everything, has all the experiences to prove it, and beats your ear with it all.
One day he was telling me all about himself as I set up my FF and did my pre-flight. After flying for an hour and returning, when I folded the wings I discovered I had failed to safety pin one of the wing pins. I'm reluctant to hurt anyone's feelings, but from that time on, when I was setting up or pre-flighting, there was NO, and I mean NO chat with others, unless there was a hangar fire. Rather he's hurt than me hanging from my BRS and falling into a woods far from my base and any nearby roads !!
Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
On 8/8/2016 3:20 PM, Stuart Harner wrote:
[quote]
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net) That stood out to me the first time I saw it too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft before it was a little odd looking. After considering the how's and why's of the situation it appeared to me that since the fuselage and root rib are produced at the factory, the rest of it is up to the builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled at the factory but it is up to the builder to drill the final hole in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment. This allows for correction of minor differences from one wing to another. The factory very well could build the fuselage with tight fitting tabs and set the root rib up properly and drill that tab too. However, that means that if the builder makes any variations in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be compensated for at a later time. My other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a couple of times is that the gap between the fuselage and rib tabs is a good thing. It makes single handed assembly much easier than if it were a close tolerance fit. I have helped install wings on planes where it took 4 people to get it to line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the holes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That stood out to me the first time I saw it too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft before it was a little odd looking.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
7[quote]--

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I plan to use an AN hex bolt or Clevis Bolt, with an AN castellated shear nut, and a wire clip or safety pin through the Cotter Pin hole in the bolt. Actually, instead of a castle nut a "wing nut" would be perfect for this since you don't need any tools. But regardless of whether there is a nut, there still needs to be a Cotter pin or Safety pin to keep the pin from backing out of the hole.
Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

Date: Monday, August 8, 2016, 1:17 PM

#yiv2623329048
#yiv2623329048 --

_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Wingdings;panose-1:5
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15
5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11
6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Consolas;panose-1:2
11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
#yiv2623329048
#yiv2623329048 p.yiv2623329048MsoNormal, #yiv2623329048
li.yiv2623329048MsoNormal, #yiv2623329048
div.yiv2623329048MsoNormal
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 a:link, #yiv2623329048
span.yiv2623329048MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2623329048 a:visited, #yiv2623329048
span.yiv2623329048MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2623329048 p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 pre
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 p.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate, #yiv2623329048
li.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate, #yiv2623329048
div.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:8.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048HTMLPreformattedChar
{color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048BalloonTextChar
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048EmailStyle22
{color:#1F497D;}
#yiv2623329048 .yiv2623329048MsoChpDefault
{font-size:10.0pt;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
#yiv2623329048 div.yiv2623329048WordSection1
{}
#yiv2623329048 Boy ain’t that the truth!
Distractions are just trouble waiting to
happen.  Even though it is a PITA, I always
put the pins in from the front and the safety clips on the
back, just in case. The theory being that they will be more
likely to stay in place.  IF I had a hangar where I didn’t
have to fold every flight, I would consider replacing the
pin with a bolt and probably use some spacer tubing fore and
aft of the rib tab to fill up the gap so that some torque
could be applied to the bolt. Then all of this would be
merely academic. J  Stuart  From:
owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf
Of Dave Kulp
Sent: Monday, August
08, 2016 2:46 PM
To:
kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re:
Re: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root
fitting  Good advice about
setting up, Stuart,When I was new with my FlagFly at
a new airstrip, there was the pilot seen at every airport
who knows everything, has all the experiences to prove it,
and beats your ear with it all.One day he was telling
me all about himself as I set up my FF and did my
pre-flight.  After flying for an hour and returning, when I
folded the wings I discovered I had failed to safety pin one
of the wing pins.  I'm reluctant to hurt anyone's
feelings, but from that time on, when I was setting up or
pre-flighting, there was NO, and I mean NO chat with
others, unless there was a hangar fire.  Rather he's
hurt than me hanging from my BRS and falling into a woods
far from my base and any nearby roads !!Dave
KulpBethlehem, PAOn 8/8/2016 3:20 PM, Stuart
Harner wrote:-->
Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net>
 That stood out to me the first time I saw it
too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft
before it was a little odd looking.
 After considering the how's and why's
of the situation it appeared to me that since the fuselage
and root rib are produced at the factory, the rest of it is
up to the builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled
at the factory but it is up to the builder to drill the
final hole in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment.
This allows for correction of minor differences from one
wing to another.  The factory very
well could build the fuselage with tight fitting tabs and
set the root rib up properly and drill that tab too.
However, that means that if the builder makes any variations
in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be
compensated for at a later time.  My
other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a
line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the
holes.  Just as a thought process,
the force it takes to bend the pin has to be way lower than
the force it would take to shear the pin were it a close
tolerance fit. On my Firefly the pins are 5/16"
aircraft grade. I have not looked up the shear strength as I
trust that I am too much of a chicken pilot to ever get
anyway near that amount of force. I would bet that that
force it takes to even bend that pin is still way above my
flying skills.  So my take is that
since there are no known issues with this setup it has to be
way stronger than needed, and the ease of use is the reason
it was made that way.  My BIGGEST
concern with this pin joint is to make DARN sure I don't
forget the safety pin! In that vein I have established a
"procedure" that works for me since I fold and
unfold for every flight.  When
starting to assemble for flight. I remove all 4 pins and
safety clips for the wings and place them on the seat where
they are easily reached. Swing the wing into place and rest
it on the struts at a slight angle so the wing wants to
and repeat.  Then I install the
aileron rods and pin and safety. Then I do a visual
inspection of all 6 pins and safety pins.
 Once the tail is in place I then do a complete
pre-flight inspection. Start at the same point each time and
inspect each part in order as I walk around the plane. The
pins and safety pins get inspected again for a third time as
I work my way around.  There is more
to my procedures (habits) than this, but you get the idea
about how paranoid I am about the pins and safeties. All
this probably adds 15 minutes to my getting ready to go over
the time it would take if I didn't have to unfold
it.  Also when folding it up, I put
the pins and fasten the safety pins back in the holes of the
fuselage. Just a habit I try to enforce to assure things are
"right" the next time I go out.
 Stuart  -----Original
Message-----From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com]
On Behalf Of Bill BerleSent: Monday, August 08,
2016 1:04 PMTo: kolb-list(at)matronics.comSubject:
Re: Re: Used Firestar Checklist
 ~snip~  While I'm on
this subject, I would like to ask a question about this wing
mounting lug system.  The mounting
lug on the spar fitting looks like it is .090 steel
material. The space between the "Ears" or  lugs
on the square fuselage tube looks like there is 3/8 or 1/2
inch between them. So even though the wing cannot slide fore
and aft (because of the trailing edge U-joint), there are
still unsupported gaps between the spar fitting and the
fuselage lugs. In this case, that means the bolt or pin is
not really in proper "double shear" load, the open
space on both sides of the spar fitting allows a bending
load at the unsupported parts of the bolt/pin
shank.  Can anyone tell me if there
is any good reason for this gap to be there? It would seem
to me that a short section of tube welded in to the spar
fitting would put that wing bolt/pin in proper "double
shear" load. I'm NOT saying that the Kolb design is
defective, I'm asking why this critical bolt is not
supported in the gap between the fuselage lugs.
 ~Snip~    

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

don’t think they make a good AN wing nut.I had one strip as I was tightening it on the tail cable attach at the bottom of the tail post.
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

For whatever it's worth, I plan to use an AN hex bolt or Clevis Bolt, with an AN castellated shear nut, and a wire clip or safety pin through the Cotter Pin hole in the bolt. Actually, instead of a castle nut a "wing nut" would be perfect for this since you don't need any tools. But regardless of whether there is a nut, there still needs to be a Cotter pin or Safety pin to keep the pin from backing out of the hole.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

Date: Monday, August 8, 2016, 1:17 PM

#yiv2623329048
#yiv2623329048 --

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15
5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11
6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {font-family:Consolas;panose-1:2
11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
#yiv2623329048
#yiv2623329048 p.yiv2623329048MsoNormal, #yiv2623329048
li.yiv2623329048MsoNormal, #yiv2623329048
div.yiv2623329048MsoNormal
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 a:link, #yiv2623329048
span.yiv2623329048MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2623329048 a:visited, #yiv2623329048
span.yiv2623329048MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2623329048 p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 pre
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 p.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate, #yiv2623329048
li.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate, #yiv2623329048
div.yiv2623329048MsoAcetate
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:8.0pt;color:black;}
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048HTMLPreformattedChar
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048BalloonTextChar
#yiv2623329048 span.yiv2623329048EmailStyle22
{color:#1F497D;}
#yiv2623329048 .yiv2623329048MsoChpDefault
{font-size:10.0pt;}
_filtered #yiv2623329048 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
#yiv2623329048 div.yiv2623329048WordSection1
{}
#yiv2623329048 Boy ain’t that the truth!
Distractions are just trouble waiting to
happen. Even though it is a PITA, I always
put the pins in from the front and the safety clips on the
back, just in case. The theory being that they will be more
likely to stay in place. IF I had a hangar where I didn’t
have to fold every flight, I would consider replacing the
pin with a bolt and probably use some spacer tubing fore and
aft of the rib tab to fill up the gap so that some torque
could be applied to the bolt. Then all of this would be
merely academic. J Stuart From:
owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf
Of Dave Kulp
Sent: Monday, August
08, 2016 2:46 PM
To:
kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re:
Re: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root
fitting Good advice about
setting up, Stuart,When I was new with my FlagFly at
a new airstrip, there was the pilot seen at every airport
who knows everything, has all the experiences to prove it,
and beats your ear with it all.One day he was telling
me all about himself as I set up my FF and did my
pre-flight. After flying for an hour and returning, when I
folded the wings I discovered I had failed to safety pin one
of the wing pins. I'm reluctant to hurt anyone's
feelings, but from that time on, when I was setting up or
pre-flighting, there was NO, and I mean NO chat with
others, unless there was a hangar fire. Rather he's
hurt than me hanging from my BRS and falling into a woods
far from my base and any nearby roads !!Dave
KulpBethlehem, PAOn 8/8/2016 3:20 PM, Stuart
Harner wrote:-->
Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net>
That stood out to me the first time I saw it
too. Having only worked on "certified" aircraft
before it was a little odd looking.
After considering the how's and why's
of the situation it appeared to me that since the fuselage
and root rib are produced at the factory, the rest of it is
up to the builder. The hole in the fuselage tabs are drilled
at the factory but it is up to the builder to drill the
final hole in the rib tab after assuring accurate alignment.
This allows for correction of minor differences from one
wing to another. The factory very
well could build the fuselage with tight fitting tabs and
set the root rib up properly and drill that tab too.
However, that means that if the builder makes any variations
in the wing, they are "locked in" and cannot be
compensated for at a later time. My
other main thought after actually folding and unfolding a
line up enough to put the main spar bolt in the
holes. Just as a thought process,
the force it takes to bend the pin has to be way lower than
the force it would take to shear the pin were it a close
tolerance fit. On my Firefly the pins are 5/16"
aircraft grade. I have not looked up the shear strength as I
trust that I am too much of a chicken pilot to ever get
anyway near that amount of force. I would bet that that
force it takes to even bend that pin is still way above my
flying skills. So my take is that
since there are no known issues with this setup it has to be
way stronger than needed, and the ease of use is the reason
it was made that way. My BIGGEST
concern with this pin joint is to make DARN sure I don't
forget the safety pin! In that vein I have established a
"procedure" that works for me since I fold and
unfold for every flight. When
starting to assemble for flight. I remove all 4 pins and
safety clips for the wings and place them on the seat where
they are easily reached. Swing the wing into place and rest
it on the struts at a slight angle so the wing wants to
and repeat. Then I install the
aileron rods and pin and safety. Then I do a visual
inspection of all 6 pins and safety pins.
Once the tail is in place I then do a complete
pre-flight inspection. Start at the same point each time and
inspect each part in order as I walk around the plane. The
pins and safety pins get inspected again for a third time as
I work my way around. There is more
to my procedures (habits) than this, but you get the idea
about how paranoid I am about the pins and safeties. All
this probably adds 15 minutes to my getting ready to go over
the time it would take if I didn't have to unfold
it. Also when folding it up, I put
the pins and fasten the safety pins back in the holes of the
fuselage. Just a habit I try to enforce to assure things are
"right" the next time I go out.
Stuart -----Original
Message-----From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com]
On Behalf Of Bill BerleSent: Monday, August 08,
2016 1:04 PMTo: kolb-list(at)matronics.comSubject:
Re: Re: Used Firestar Checklist
~snip~ While I'm on
this subject, I would like to ask a question about this wing
mounting lug system. The mounting
lug on the spar fitting looks like it is .090 steel
material. The space between the "Ears" or lugs
on the square fuselage tube looks like there is 3/8 or 1/2
inch between them. So even though the wing cannot slide fore
and aft (because of the trailing edge U-joint), there are
still unsupported gaps between the spar fitting and the
fuselage lugs. In this case, that means the bolt or pin is
not really in proper "double shear" load, the open
space on both sides of the spar fitting allows a bending
load at the unsupported parts of the bolt/pin
shank. Can anyone tell me if there
is any good reason for this gap to be there? It would seem
to me that a short section of tube welded in to the spar
fitting would put that wing bolt/pin in proper "double
shear" load. I'm NOT saying that the Kolb design is
defective, I'm asking why this critical bolt is not
supported in the gap between the fuselage lugs.
~Snip~

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Used Firestar Checklist now wing root fitting Reply with quote

The drag strut fitting is also used to rig the wings. Sliding the fitting in or out of the drag strut affects the fore and aft location of the main spar tang. The space between the fuselage carry through is required to give some "uh oh" space to work with.

I increased the main spar clevis pin from 5/16 to 3/8 bolts based on increased loads and stresses from heavy weather and rough landings. Problems I encountered drilling mounting tabs and main spar tang during rigging required a little help from a welded .090 4130 plate TIG welded to the rear tab. A proven remedy.

That is the way I did it. Don't recommend anyone else doing the same.

john h
Alamosa, Colorado

Yes, but the rear universal joint should keep the main wing spar fitting at a fixed fore-aft distance, which should not change other than a few thousandths due to heat expansion. So there is no scenario where the wing fitting will move forward or rearward in the fuselage fitting it could be a lot closer without any chance of having it difficult to put together.

Bill Berle

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: