Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

My first flour bombing contest was in a T-34B. Beach N4756 out of Cherry Point Aero Club. Had a good friend and pilot in the back. We came zorching in out of a dive and missed the target by a rather embarrassing amount. Next sack was just as bad. So the decision was, if you can't be good at the bombing, at least look good in the air.

On the next pass I came in and went to the runway... mere feet about the concrete. The rules gave a minimum RELEASE altitude, but didn't really specify a hard deck. So, in we came.

Somewhat short of the bulls-eye ring, I pulled way too much G for that old beast and up into the vertical we went. Right before the kick for the hammerhead my friend in back threw the bag straight out the top of the canopy. The hammerhead was pretty close to zero airspeed. No arc, and lots of airframe shaking is the give-away. As I reached the vertical downline, I swore I could see that bag heading down in front of me, but it was probably my imagination.

After landing, we were banned from further flour bombing. Seems people were running for cover and the bag hit a nearby hangar roof, and the owner was none too pleased.

That said, most folks said it was the most awesome flour bombing attempt they had ever seen. Missed by a mile, but got points for style.

Of course this was 40 years ago. Smile

Mark

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 2:56 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing

If we tell you how to do it then you become competition!

However being a good sport what you want to do is line the airplane up (your Center Line with the target) when you can see it, pick-up a point out on one side of the airplane even with the target far enough out so that you can see it when you go directly over the target . Toss the bag of flour out the back or out the front. Do so as the reference point you picked even with the target, is about a foot in front of the Leading Edge of the wing. This is good for a 200-foot altitude at cruise speed.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/19/2016 9:36 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Yak-List <Yak-List(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Flour Bombing
Hi guys,

There’s a flour bombing competition at the local strip next weekend.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely there’s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to release… whether to ‘toss’ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? Smile

Never done it before so any input welcome.

Phil N.

Nanchang – CJ6A

C-FEPN - Ottawa

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
William Halverson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Well what did you expect?

Zoomies have no sense of humor ...

"NAVAIR" says it all.

Fly NAVY, let the zoomies clean up the mess ...

On 8/19/2016 6:16 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD wrote:
Quote:

My first flour bombing contest was in a T-34B. Beach N4756 out of Cherry Point Aero Club. Had a good friend and pilot in the back. We came zorching in out of a dive and missed the target by a rather embarrassing amount. Next sack was just as bad. So the decision was, if you can't be good at the bombing, at least look good in the air.

On the next pass I came in and went to the runway... mere feet about the concrete. The rules gave a minimum RELEASE altitude, but didn't really specify a hard deck. So, in we came.

Somewhat short of the bulls-eye ring, I pulled way too much G for that old beast and up into the vertical we went. Right before the kick for the hammerhead my friend in back threw the bag straight out the top of the canopy. The hammerhead was pretty close to zero airspeed. No arc, and lots of airframe shaking is the give-away. As I reached the vertical downline, I swore I could see that bag heading down in front of me, but it was probably my imagination.

After landing, we were banned from further flour bombing. Seems people were running for cover and the bag hit a nearby hangar roof, and the owner was none too pleased.

That said, most folks said it was the most awesome flour bombing attempt they had ever seen. Missed by a mile, but got points for style.

Mark

However being a good sport what you want to do is line the airplane up (your Center Line with the target) when you can see it, pick-up a point out on one side of the airplane even with the target far enough out so that you can see it when you go directly over the target . Toss the bag of flour out the back or out the front. Do so as the reference point you picked even with the target, is about a foot in front of the Leading Edge of the wing. This is good for a 200-foot altitude at cruise speed.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely there’s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to release… whether to ‘toss’ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? Smile

Phil N.

Nanchang – CJ6A

C-FEPN - Ottawa

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Now that purity funny there, I don't care who you are!
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 19, 2016, at 5:16 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

Mark

Hi guys,

Phil N.

Nanchang – CJ6A

C-FEPN - Ottawa

rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Mark,

Just read your hilarious account of flour bombing to my family! They giggled, but I was in tears! GOOD STUFF, SIR!! Made my night! And on a serious note, hats off to you for the humble disclosure! Nice to see even the "big dogs" can laugh at themselves. Life is too short to never settle for less than awesome.

Still smiling...

Rico

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 19, 2016, at 5:57 PM, William Halverson <william(at)netpros.net> wrote:

Well what did you expect?

Zoomies have no sense of humor ...

"NAVAIR" says it all.

Fly NAVY, let the zoomies clean up the mess ...

> On 8/19/2016 6:16 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD wrote:
>
>
> My first flour bombing contest was in a T-34B. Beach N4756 out of Cherry Point Aero Club. Had a good friend and pilot in the back. We came zorching in out of a dive and missed the target by a rather embarrassing amount. Next sack was just as bad. So the decision was, if you can't be good at the bombing, at least look good in the air.
>
>
>
> On the next pass I came in and went to the runway... mere feet about the concrete. The rules gave a minimum RELEASE altitude, but didn't really specify a hard deck. So, in we came.
>
>
>
> Somewhat short of the bulls-eye ring, I pulled way too much G for that old beast and up into the vertical we went. Right before the kick for the hammerhead my friend in back threw the bag straight out the top of the canopy. The hammerhead was pretty close to zero airspeed. No arc, and lots of airframe shaking is the give-away. As I reached the vertical downline, I swore I could see that bag heading down in front of me, but it was probably my imagination.
>
>
>
> After landing, we were banned from further flour bombing. Seems people were running for cover and the bag hit a nearby hangar roof, and the owner was none too pleased.
>
>
>
> That said, most folks said it was the most awesome flour bombing attempt they had ever seen. Missed by a mile, but got points for style.
>
>
>
> Of course this was 40 years ago. Smile
>
>
>
> Mark
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] on behalf of cjpilot710 [cjpilot710(at)aol.com]
> Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 2:56 PM
> To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
> Subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing
>
> If we tell you how to do it then you become competition!
>
> However being a good sport what you want to do is line the airplane up (your Center Line with the target) when you can see it, pick-up a point out on one side of the airplane even with the target far enough out so that you can see it when you go directly over the target . Toss the bag of flour out the back or out the front. Do so as the reference point you picked even with the target, is about a foot in front of the Leading Edge of the wing. This is good for a 200-foot altitude at cruise speed.
>
>
>
> Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com>
> Date: 8/19/2016 9:36 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: Yak-List <Yak-List(at)matronics.com>
> Subject: Flour Bombing
>
>
> Hi guys,
>
> There’s a flour bombing competition at the local strip next weekend.
>
> Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely there’s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to release… whether to ‘toss’ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? Smile
>
> Never done it before so any input welcome.
>
>
>
> Phil N.
>
> Nanchang – CJ6A
>
> C-FEPN - Ottawa

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Nobody filmed this?

J.

On 20/08/16 00:16, "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD"
<owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

Quote:

<mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

My first flour bombing contest was in a T-34B. Beach N4756 out of Cherry
Point Aero Club. Had a good friend and pilot in the back. We came
zorching in out of a dive and missed the target by a rather embarrassing
amount. Next sack was just as bad. So the decision was, if you can't be
good at the bombing, at least look good in the air.

On the next pass I came in and went to the runway... mere feet about the
concrete. The rules gave a minimum RELEASE altitude, but didn't really
specify a hard deck. So, in we came.

Somewhat short of the bulls-eye ring, I pulled way too much G for that
old beast and up into the vertical we went. Right before the kick for the
hammerhead my friend in back threw the bag straight out the top of the
canopy. The hammerhead was pretty close to zero airspeed. No arc, and
lots of airframe shaking is the give-away. As I reached the vertical
downline, I swore I could see that bag heading down in front of me, but
it was probably my imagination.

After landing, we were banned from further flour bombing. Seems people
were running for cover and the bag hit a nearby hangar roof, and the
owner was none too pleased.

That said, most folks said it was the most awesome flour bombing attempt
they had ever seen. Missed by a mile, but got points for style.

Mark

However being a good sport what you want to do is line the airplane up
(your Center Line with the target) when you can see it, pick-up a point
out on one side of the airplane even with the target far enough out so
that you can see it when you go directly over the target . Toss the bag
of flour out the back or out the front. Do so as the reference point
you picked even with the target, is about a foot in front of the Leading
Edge of the wing. This is good for a 200-foot altitude at cruise speed.

Hi guys,

There¹s a flour bombing competition at the local strip next weekend.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely
there¹s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing
and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish
to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to releaseŠ whether
to Œtoss¹ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? Smile

Phil N.

Nanchang ­ CJ6A

C-FEPN - Ottawa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: