Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFIS Power Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

Folks,

I am reviewing my wiring diagrams, prior to starting to assemble the wiring harness for my EFIS. I started with MGL's installation instructions, which include an On/Off power switch for the whole MGL system: display + iBox + RDAC + magnetometer + AHRS. You can see the "EFIS On-Off" switch in these three diagrams:
​
 can bus 1.pdf
​​
 can bus 2.pdf
​​
 ibox.pdf
​

I am honestly not sure that I want this switch. Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?
As far as current draining the battery, I am not too worried. The whole system (all five components) draws just 1.7-2.9 amps, depending on display brightness and whether or not the heaters in the magnetometer and AHRS are energized.
    -- Art Z.

--
http://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

Quote:
I am honestly not sure that I want this switch. Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?

The pilot should have the ability to shut off each and every electrical load. If the MGL units have their own switches, than an additional switch is not necessary. If the MGL malfunctions or gives off smoke, there should be a way to shut it off without shutting off everything else.
On the other hand, if you do not mind shutting off the master switch if necessary, it is not a big deal. Builders of experimental aircraft can wire the airplane to meet their goals. As long as it is not dangerous, do it the way you want.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

Joe,

The conversation about measuring oil pressure at engine start is what got me pondering the question: Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?
I am guessing that, should we actually think about and debate it, we may decide that the statement "the pilot should have the ability to shut off each and every electrical load" may prove an oversimplification, left over from olden days of yore. Thus my question and I am hoping for more responses.
    -- Art Z.

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
> I am honestly not sure that I want this switch. Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?

The pilot should have the ability to shut off each and every electrical load.  

--
http://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

I use my EIS to monitor the engine at startup.  I do not turn on the EFIS until after engine start.

Between breakers and switches I can effectively turn off everything…….

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Art Zemon
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 8:44 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: EFIS Power Switch

Joe,

The conversation about measuring oil pressure at engine start is what got me pondering the question: Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?

I am guessing that, should we actually think about and debate it, we may decide that the statement "the pilot should have the ability to shut off each and every electrical load" may prove an oversimplification, left over from olden days of yore. Thus my question and I am hoping for more responses.

-- Art Z.

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

--
http://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/

"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

Dynon can (and should) be on during engine start. . It has a soft key "button" you can press to shut it down (not electrically isolated).
If some of the magic smoke starts to escape then the CB can be used to isolate it from its electrical source.
Bill Hunter
On Aug 22, 2016 7:57 AM, "Art Zemon" <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Joe,

-- Art Z.

Quote:
> I am honestly not sure that I want this switch. Is there ever a time when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?

--

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

This a question I pondered, decided on a course and have now flown it
for 5 years. I went with (3) GRT/HX EFIS units and left them
unswitched. My thinking was I wanted them on, I never wanted them
inadvertently switched off (due to boot time), and I didn't want to add
another potential point of failure.

In retrospect, a switch for each unit would have been welcomed. The (3)
units along with the rest of my avionics puts enough of a drain on the
system that (1) 680 is not enough to prevent brownouts during starts.
More importantly I like to run my panel with the engine off for flight
plan loading and clearances. But I knew all that up front during the
planning process so I went with Bob's dual batt, dual alt setup. And
this 'almost' works for me. That is, if everything is 100%, I can run
the panel for extended periods if desired, start the engine, etc without
a concern. But....

If anything is less than 100%, I got brownouts during start-up. Why
would things be less than 100% in an airworthy plane? Stuff happens -
e.g. the 24/7 clock in the GRTs used to run the battery down until GRT
killed the function in a later release. One side of the charging system
was undercharging a battery, etc.

I could have installed switches to help manage things when desired but
instead I doubled down and added TCW's power stabilizer (not a battery
but a big condenser I think). This provided the extra 'load smoothing'
to avoid any and all brownouts during starts, that is, in my particular
situation/configuration. Given its ongoing success, I still really like
not having them switched, probably because that's what I have. But
switches are probably a simpler and certainly more cost effective
solution to a perhaps non-existent problem.

(note: all my operations are for travel, most flights IFR, >50% of
operations are not at home airport, YMMV)

Bill "happily flying around with the entire kitchen sink for a panel" Watson
Quote:
​
I am honestly not sure that I want this switch. Is there ever a time
when I would have the master switch on but not want power to the EFIS?

As far as current draining the battery, I am not too worried. The
whole system (all five components) draws just 1.7-2.9 amps, depending
on display brightness and whether or not the heaters in the
magnetometer and AHRS are energized.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

"The pilot should have a way of shutting off each and every electrical load"
Without turning off the master switch, I cannot shut off:
Fuel quantity gauges,
Any engine gauges,
Voltmeter and ammeter,
Intercom,
USB power.
If one of these items fails in spectacular fashion without blowing the fuse, I guess I'll have to turn the master off but I'm not sure that's a likely failure mode. I don't think I have ever flown an aircraft that has a switch for every electrical load.

Sebastien

On Aug 22, 2016, at 07:44, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Joe,

-- Art Z.

Quote:

--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

At 09:44 AM 8/22/2016, you wrote:
Quote:
Joe,

Battery only ground ops for maintenance.

Quote:

In 'heavy iron', virtually everything
in the cockpit is powered through a breaker
that is accessible to the crew.

Generally speaking, there are few if
any panel mounted items capable of generating
hazardous amounts of smoke. Things inside
panel mounted electro-whizzies tend to simply burn
through in a few seconds without flaming or
propagating the failure . . . all inside
some sort of enclosure.

By the time you sense the smoke, identify
its source, find the breaker/switch and do
something about it, it's all over.

I cannot imagine any failure scenario
in a thoughtfully designed architecture
that gives one pause for concerns about
absolute and immediate control over power
on the panel.

The highest risk failures are for hard
faults on wires. They have range of distance
and penetration along with proximity
to other potential victims. This is what
fuses and breaker are for. Beyond that,
the risks are vanishingly small.

Bob . . .

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Joe,

That makes sense. A transponder check, for instance. So in my plane, if I skip the EFIS power switch, I would have an unwanted load on the battery of 1.2-2.9 amps.
Thanks for all of the comments, people. You have given me food for thought.
    -- Art Z.
--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

At 01:01 PM 8/22/2016, you wrote:
Quote:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III < nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Joe,

That makes sense. A transponder check, for instance. So in my plane, if I skip the EFIS power switch, I would have an unwanted load on the battery of 1.2-2.9 amps.

Perhaps I should have been more detailed.

EXTENDED ground ops . . . for the time that
it takes to run an occasional test, you're
not likely to seriously tax the battery . . .
but then we all KNOW how long our battery
will run ENDURANCE loads . . . right?

For extended ground ops, an ac mains
ground power supply becomes cheaper
every year. A few years ago I sold a
switch mode ground power supply good for
22A (as I recall) for about $125.

Nowadays, one can purchase a 15v, 27A
supply for $32 delivered to your door.

http://tinyurl.com/zwmvcpp

Put a heat-sinked diode in series with
the supply to prevent inadvertent back-feed
and this critter will probably run everything
you need to run . . . even pitot heat.

A switch (or switches) installed for the
purpose of managing battery drain in
ground ops may not be so practical.

Bob . . .

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

Whoa. The electronics do keep getting cheaper and cheaper. I still have an old 12V power supply kicking around in my basement. I bought it in the early 1970s and used it for running mobile CB equipment at home, back in the days when you could actually have a real conversation on a CB radio. If I remember correctly, I paid upwards of $100 for a 100W power supply. What an investment!

-- Art Z.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 01:01 PM 8/22/2016, you wrote:
Quote:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III < nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Joe,

Perhaps I should have been more detailed.

EXTENDED ground ops . . . for the time that
  it takes to run an occasional test, you're
  not likely to seriously tax the battery . . .
  but then we all KNOW how long our battery
  will run ENDURANCE loads . . . right?

For extended ground ops, an ac mains
  ground power supply becomes cheaper
  every year. A few years ago I sold a
  switch mode ground power supply good for
  22A (as I recall) for about $125.

Nowadays, one can purchase a 15v, 27A
  supply for $32 delivered to your door.

http://tinyurl.com/zwmvcpp

Put a heat-sinked diode in series with
  the supply to prevent inadvertent back-feed
  and this critter will probably run everything
  you need to run . . . even pitot heat.

A switch (or switches) installed for the
  purpose of managing battery drain in
  ground ops may not be so practical.

Bob . . .

--

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

A pullable circuit breaker or fuse gives the pilot the ability to shut off a load. If a breaker is used that can not be tripped by the pilot, then I would consider adding a switch.

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: EFIS Power Switch Reply with quote

When maintaining your airplane it is sometimes convenient to not have the EFIS, or other similar systems, operating. A pull able breaker can be useful in this case.  It would also provide emergency isolation if required when flying. Peter
On 22 Aug 2016 5:07 p.m., "Bill Watson" <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)>

This a question I pondered, decided on a course and have now flown it for 5 years.  I went with (3) GRT/HX EFIS units and left them unswitched.  My thinking was I wanted them on, I never wanted them inadvertently switched off (due to boot time), and I didn't want to add another potential point of failure.

In retrospect, a switch for each unit would have been welcomed. The (3) units along with the rest of my avionics puts enough of a drain on the system that (1) 680 is not enough to prevent brownouts during starts.  More importantly I like to run my panel with the engine off for flight plan loading and clearances.  But I knew all that up front during the planning process so I went with Bob's dual batt, dual alt setup.  And this 'almost' works for me. That is, if everything is 100%, I can run the panel for extended periods if desired, start the engine, etc without a concern. But....

If anything is less than 100%, I got  brownouts during start-up. Why would things be less than 100% in an airworthy plane?  Stuff happens - e.g. the 24/7 clock in the GRTs used to run the battery down until GRT killed the function in a later release.  One side of the charging system was undercharging a battery, etc.

I could have installed switches to help manage things when desired but instead I doubled down and added  TCW's power stabilizer (not a battery but a big condenser I think).  This provided the extra 'load smoothing' to avoid any and all brownouts during starts, that is, in my particular situation/configuration.  Given its ongoing success, I still really like not having them switched, probably because that's what I have.  But switches are probably a simpler and certainly more cost effective solution to a perhaps non-existent problem.

(note: all my operations are for travel, most flights IFR, >50% of operations are not at home airport, YMMV)

Bill "happily flying around with the entire kitchen sink for a panel" Watson
Quote:
​

As far as current draining the battery, I am not too worried. The whole system (all five components) draws just 1.7-2.9 amps, depending on display brightness and whether or not the heaters in the magnetometer and AHRS are energized.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

====================================
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: