Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 and 6 inch tubing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

On 10/30/2016 7:11 PM, Rex Rodebush wrote:
Quote:

Didn't pick up that the tubing was for a garage door. Not sure what a garage door has to do with Kolb aircraft.
I don't remember what the original subject was, but I doubt it was about

garage doors. That was probably my fault. I posted a pic of the hangar
door I built using irrigation tubing; intended as a joking response to
the question about strength of irrigation tubing.

I'd never recommend using used ag products as aircraft structure. But as
John pointed out, the irrigation tubing is pretty strong. What does a 30
foot long 6" diameter tube of water weigh?

Charlie

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

365.7 pounds.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I didn't know that this conversation was regarding hangar doors. I had thought that the discussion was about sources for the 5 and 6 inch diameter tubes used on Kolb spars and fuselage (tailboom) tubes.

Being a city boy myself, I have absolutely never seen a hangar that required very thin wall 5 or 6 inch aluminum tubes for the structure, that just happened to be the same materials as what the Kolb aircraft structure uses.

I'm genuinely sorry about getting wrapped around the axle if a hangar door was really the subject of the discussion. Any of us who have been around airplanes for a while, and gone to funerals that didn't need to happen, are a little bit trigger-happy about this kind of stuff. I woke up one day and realized that I was the "silly old guy" at the airport who was warning the younger pilots not to do stupid things, and to check stuff two or three times before you fly. It seemed like it was just the day before when I was the smart-ass young pilot, all testosterone and no brains, and laughing at the silly old guys at the airport who were always shaking their finger at me about safety and risk. I could hear all of the old guys roaring with laughter up in the clouds.

I would humbly suggest that instead of thin wall 5 or 6 inch aluminum tube, you use galvanized conduit, or square steel tube, for your hangar. A whole lot cheaper, easier to work with, doesn't dent as easily, and the thicker wall materials can have a bolt through them without the bolt hole getting loose in a week. Thin wall aluminum tube is really an incorrect material for a hangar in my opinion. Otherwise you would see all the airport hangars and Butler Buildings and barns made out of it I guess.

Bill

Yer wraped around the axle for no reason. The initial conversation was about alum tubing suitable for a hangar/hangar door, not for an aircraft.

Geez.

Jim Baker

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

As I said earlier, I have no idea what the original subject was; I might
not have ever seen the original post. I get individual emails from the
list; I suspect that I don't see some of the posts made directly to the
forum version.

As far as I know, I'm the one that mentioned hangar doors made from
irrigation tubing (intended as a good natured diversion; something
that's apparently hard to achieve on this list...).

Obviously, steel is a better choice, generally, for hangar doors. But a
local farm operation was selling a large quantity of 6"x30' sections for
a dollar a foot. That, combined with some old highway signs from the
scrap yard for gussets and some rivets (driven where I could reach both
sides and 3/16" 'pop' where I couldn't), resulted in a 10'x30' one-piece
door with counter weight that was much cheaper than a steel frame and
light enough for me to assemble and hang without any outside assistance
from man or lifting machine. And if nothing else, it's a great
conversation piece when a new visitor arrives and I open the door with a
light shove. Smile

You're absolutely right that no one should be substituting materials in
an a/c without knowing exactly what they are doing. But it's also
extremely unlikely that a low volume a/c kit company is having custom
seamless tubing extrusions made for spars and/or tail booms. The trick
(if one is intent on bypassing the kit company) is to know exactly the
specs of the off-the-shelf product the kit company is using.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled humorless pokes and jabs
programming.

(That's a joke, son...)

Charlie

On 10/31/2016 12:24 PM, Bill Berle wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry. I didn't know that this conversation was regarding hangar doors. I had thought that the discussion was about sources for the 5 and 6 inch diameter tubes used on Kolb spars and fuselage (tailboom) tubes.

Being a city boy myself, I have absolutely never seen a hangar that required very thin wall 5 or 6 inch aluminum tubes for the structure, that just happened to be the same materials as what the Kolb aircraft structure uses.

I'm genuinely sorry about getting wrapped around the axle if a hangar door was really the subject of the discussion. Any of us who have been around airplanes for a while, and gone to funerals that didn't need to happen, are a little bit trigger-happy about this kind of stuff. I woke up one day and realized that I was the "silly old guy" at the airport who was warning the younger pilots not to do stupid things, and to check stuff two or three times before you fly. It seemed like it was just the day before when I was the smart-ass young pilot, all testosterone and no brains, and laughing at the silly old guys at the airport who were always shaking their finger at me about safety and risk. I could hear all of the old guys roaring with laughter up in the clouds.

I would humbly suggest that instead of thin wall 5 or 6 inch aluminum tube, you use galvanized conduit, or square steel tube, for your hangar. A whole lot cheaper, easier to work with, doesn't dent as easily, and the thicker wall materials can have a bolt through them without the bolt hole getting loose in a week. Thin wall aluminum tube is really an incorrect material for a hangar in my opinion. Otherwise you would see all the airport hangars and Butler Buildings and barns made out of it I guess.

Bill

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

Bill/All
I thought the discussion was for our Kolb airplanes also, so if it really wasn't there were a bunch of us that thought it was. I support Bill's comments 100%. It's good for the quality of our airplanes, their reputation, and it keeps more people alive. Just buy from Kolb and you will get the right stuff. It is also very important buy from Kolb to keep our factory support alive and well.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Bill

--> Kolb-List message posted by:  Jim Baker <jimbaker(at)npacc.net (jimbaker(at)npacc.net)>

Yer wraped around the axle for no reason. The initial conversation was about alum tubing suitable for a hangar/hangar door, not for an aircraft.

Geez.

Jim Baker

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Jim Baker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

Didn't mean to sound high and mighty. I was confused right along with y'all. At first I thought it was about Kolbs but then got an email off list that asked, so...its OK to use for a door. That, in conjunction with the hangar picture, is where I thought that conversation was headed. Instead, I think I just steered it into the weeds.

Apologies to all......😁

Jim Baker
405 426 5377

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: 5 and 6 inch tubing Reply with quote

[quote][b] [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: