Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

last chantz chutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: last chantz chutes Reply with quote

Interesting thing about Fred's story...He usually did the repack....but this time, someone else!! 

I think that a   thin sailplane chute may be the best,cheapest   way to go...?   I would not want  to bail out and watch the plane hit a populated area however...Therefore, I think if the plane was intact and flyable...I would stay with it...

The history of Kolbs...is that they do not break up in flight unless the pilot is flying outside the envelope...usually , way outside...or one is caught in a super bad storm...

Engine out....do you fly the plane or pull the chute...?  Depends on the terrain for the most part...right?  

My two engine outs...were non events...airport made...With the MkIII I never even thought about trying the starter....for I flew gliders back in the 70's and the MkIII flew just great dead stick... ...The second time, I radioed my flying buddies and told them.."hey! I am a glider".Smile  !!  

Wondering....are there any of the soft toss chutes available? New?  I have two or three of them...in the aviation bedroom...I kept  them handy for when the ex wife got frisky!! Smile Herb

By the way...the more I see other planes in the Kolb category...the more I appreciate the Homer genius!!

On 03/01/2017 09:24 AM, pcking wrote:

[quote] Part of the reason for regular inspections is that fabric sticks together over time. That lengthens the time it takes to open. While that is happening you are whistling toward the ground at an increasing rate. How much is that extra time worth in dollars saved?

Then there's the issue of insect, moisture and heat damage. Most BRS chutes live in a metal can in the sun. It heats up. That could cause synthetic fabric to become brittle. The chute lives in a hangar or trailer in an environment of temperature and humidity swings. It's sealed, right? Are you sure? Bugs find holes. Bugs make holes. When you pull that handle you want to see a perfect chute come out, don't you?

Think of a repack as an annual checkup with your MD. You do that, don't you? Then why not do the same for your chute?

Be nice to your BRS and it will be nice to you.

PCKing

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: last chantz chutes Reply with quote

Good post Herb. I had 2 engine outs and one engine malfunction in my MKIII. Initially I had a 532, and after several hundred hours, it spun the gear on the crank that drove the through shaft that spun the water pump and the rotary valve. With the rotary valve out of time, it went to partial power, and I successfully flew 5 miles back to the airport I had departed from and landed w/o incident. Borrowed a friends 503, stuck it on, and flew it home.
After I upgraded to a 582, I installed an oil tank for a riding mower as my oil injection reservoir. Unbeknownst to me, while the tank was on the shelf in the mower shop, a little spider had built a web/nest up in one of the corners, and after about 20 hours, the webbing came loose and blocked off the port out of the tank. Seizure. Landed at a paved model airplane strip w/o incident. Plus, there was a guy there flying his model airplane that gave us a ride home. (What are the odds?!?) Thank you Lord!
About a year later, I was tinkering with main jet sizes and installed a main jet that I apparently did not tighten securely. About 15 seconds after takeoff, it fell out, and the engine went to partial power. I landed w/o incident in a cow pasture off the end of the runway, and after reinstalling the original jets, flew out of the pasture and back to the strip, with the only problem being a fuselage stained with green cow pie mung.
Gotta love the MKIII; an airplane that lends itself to adventures!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: last chantz chutes Reply with quote

In re a streaming chute - this sounds ridiculous! — the Army has HALO chutes, which will stream until you pull the toggle, just as designed..Problem solved, or am I missing something?
I was not even tempted to pull the chute in my Mark3 - over power lines, did NOT want to lose all control
Russ K
[quote]On Mar 1, 2017, at 11:26 AM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Interesting thing about Fred's story...He usually did the repack....but this time, someone else!!
I think that a thin sailplane chute may be the best,cheapest way to go...? I would not want to bail out and watch the plane hit a populated area however...Therefore, I think if the plane was intact and flyable...I would stay with it...
The history of Kolbs...is that they do not break up in flight unless the pilot is flying outside the envelope...usually , way outside...or one is caught in a super bad storm...
Engine out....do you fly the plane or pull the chute...? Depends on the terrain for the most part...right?
My two engine outs...were non events...airport made...With the MkIII I never even thought about trying the starter....for I flew gliders back in the 70's and the MkIII flew just great dead stick... ...The second time, I radioed my flying buddies and told them.."hey! I am a glider".Smile !!
Wondering....are there any of the soft toss chutes available? New? I have two or three of them...in the aviation bedroom...I kept them handy for when the ex wife got frisky!! Smile Herb

By the way...the more I see other planes in the Kolb category...the more I appreciate the Homer genius!! On 03/01/2017 09:24 AM, pcking wrote:
[quote]Part of the reason for regular inspections is that fabric sticks together over time. That lengthens the time it takes to open. While that is happening you are whistling toward the ground at an increasing rate. How much is that extra time worth in dollars saved?

Then there's the issue of insect, moisture and heat damage. Most BRS chutes live in a metal can in the sun. It heats up. That could cause synthetic fabric to become brittle. The chute lives in a hangar or trailer in an environment of temperature and humidity swings. It's sealed, right? Are you sure? Bugs find holes. Bugs make holes. When you pull that handle you want to see a perfect chute come out, don't you?

Think of a repack as an annual checkup with your MD. You do that, don't you? Then why not do the same for your chute?

Be nice to your BRS and it will be nice to you.

PCKing

[quote]---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: