Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Tank Cocktail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

I'm rinsing my main air tank.

I have glycerin from Doug, but how much of that and how much alcohol and what kind of alcohol goes in? Mixed together or just put them in and let them work it out?

Also, put a little tool oil in the main tank or no?

Thanks,
Jon

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Vic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

What´s good about glycerin when you expect to get water in the tank ?? That will be washed away soon and be gone. You want rust protection, no ? We use real sticky chain lube from spray cans, let the thinner in it dry before assembly and no rust for years.

Vic

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

I am no expert in these matters, but is it a good idea to have a mixture of
grease, presumably slightly inflammable, with very high pressure air?
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
--

Vic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Richard,
I suggested having the thinner dried before assembling the system. High pressure - 50 bar ?? Or else, injecting pure alcohol into the system not flammable ??

Vic

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Good point - but I do know that highly compressed air and anything flammable
is not a great idea!

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
--

Vic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Richard,
don´t confuse (mildly) compressed air with pure oxygen. I would definitely NOT advise grease or some such in oxygen cylinders. But simple grease or oil is not easy to ignite, like in Diesels. You´d require a LOT more pressure plus temperature to get the bang. Anybody operating his Diesel will know , even more so in winter times. No, I don´t see any problem here, never had any since ten years with chain grease in the tank. But then, we never had any visible water there too, in the 18 T. Dunno, why not . . .

Vic

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Gents,Both Glycerin and alcohol are humectants, meaning that they absorb moisture.  The "cocktail" is fully described in the manual, which most of us have but for some reason fail to read.  
Castor oil is also used in the pneumatic system, and is VERY effective in stopping the tiny leaks which plague us all on occasion.  It too is covered in the manual.
Best,
Doug
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard Goode" <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)>

I am no expert in these matters, but is it a good idea to have a mixture of
grease, presumably slightly inflammable, with very high pressure air?

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW

Tel:  [url=tel:%2B44%20%280%29%201544%20340120]+44 (0) 1544 340120[/url]
Fax: [url=tel:%2B44%20%280%29%201544%20340129]+44 (0) 1544 340129[/url]
www.russianaeros.com

--

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

The subject of what to mix up and put in the pneumatic system has been an on-again, off-again topic for decades now. It seems that everyone has their own idea of "extra ingredients" that can be added to make it even better. I respect the fact that Jon is actually ASKING about "tool oil" here, and not just doing it out of hand because someone else suggested it. For the record, I followed lots of advice when I first purchased my Russian aircraft one of which was adding pneumatic tool oil to the mixture of "stuff" to blow into the pneumatic system. The result was a total failure of the chevron seals in the landing gear actuators. Were they old to begin with? Yes they were. However, adding that tool oil was without a doubt the catalyst that led to their demise and I was just lucky that I didn't end up becoming a statistic.

Experimental aircraft owners have a lot of latitude on what they can do with their airplanes but I would suggest caution when implementing ideas that are not covered in the maintenance manuals.

Mark

p.s. Jon, don't add any "tool oil" or anything else that will end up being blown through the aircrafts pneumatic system. Instead stick to the plan. The one the people who made the airplane recommend.
--

Harv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

I believe the manual also mentions applying varnish to protect from rust.

Once the tanks are rust free and clean could a simple 2k clear lacquer be applied (or something like POR15) with a sloshing action and then drained and allowed to cure, once coated rust won't form..?

threein60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

There is a lot of opinions on this. I did the same inspection during my last 100hr and I believe Doug Sapp suggested pure Castor oil. That is what I did, but I'm sure others used all sorts of stuff.
Larry Pine

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Friday, March 3, 2017 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Harv" <martin.harvey(at)kbr.com (martin.harvey(at)kbr.com)>

I believe the manual also mentions applying varnish to protect from rust.

Once the tanks are rust free and clean could a simple 2k clear lacquer be applied (or something like POR15) with a sloshing action and then drained and allowed to cure, once coated rust won't form..?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466831#466831"http://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.co="http://wiki.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com; -Matt Dralcontribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution<b============

markdavis(at)wbsnet.org

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Harv,
Anything that can harden can fracture. I'd be worried about fractured
bits moving through the system that wouldn't be friendly to the actuators
and cylinders or start system. Whatever gunk forms in the system seems to
be carried out with an occasional dose of glycerine/alcohol in my system.
I've even cured a leaking actuator in my landing gear before by giving it a
shot of glycerine/alcohol. The handful of snot in my hand after cycling the
gear a few times must've had the culprit mixed in with it. That's my
experience, YMMV.

Mark Davis
N44YK
--

Robin Hou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Since the subject of this post has drifted to main tank rust prevention, I always wonder if adding an additional stainless steel compress air/water filter from Doug Sapp to the main tank outlet would help the entire system stay clean?  

Do you see any down side to this idea (other then the added cost and maintenance which are fairly minimum)?
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Mark Davis" <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)>

Harv,
     Anything that can harden can fracture.  I'd be worried about fractured
bits moving through the system that wouldn't be friendly to the actuators
and cylinders or start system.  Whatever gunk forms in the system seems to
be carried out with an occasional dose of glycerine/alcohol in my system.
I've even cured a leaking actuator in my landing gear before by giving it a
shot of glycerine/alcohol.  The handful of snot in my hand after cycling the
gear a few times must've had the culprit mixed in with it.  That's my
experience, YMMV.

Mark Davis
N44YK

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

I guess you could put one on the output side as well. But because the
compressor on the CJ fills both the main and emergency bottles, you
should really put one on the output of both tanks.

The way the moisture gets into the tank in the first place is from the
compressor.That's why putting Doug's SS filter on the input to the tank
is the best thing you can do...stop the moisture to the maximum extent
possible from entering the two tanks.
Dennis
On 3/3/2017 7:23 PM, Robin Hou wrote:
[quote] Since the subject of this post has drifted to main tank rust
prevention, I always wonder if adding an additional stainless steel
compress air/water filter from Doug Sapp to the main tank outlet would
help the entire system stay clean?

Do you see any down side to this idea (other then the added cost and
maintenance which are fairly minimum)?

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org
<mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>> wrote:

<mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>>

Harv,
Anything that can harden can fracture. I'd be worried about
fractured
bits moving through the system that wouldn't be friendly to the
actuators
and cylinders or start system. Whatever gunk forms in the system
seems to
be carried out with an occasional dose of glycerine/alcohol in my
system.
I've even cured a leaking actuator in my landing gear before by
giving it a
shot of glycerine/alcohol. The handful of snot in my hand after
cycling the
experience, YMMV.

Mark Davis
N44YK
--

Ernie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

It's also important to have a tight air system. In a normally operating system the air compressor will charge up the air system up to operating pressure and then that air remains static in the plumbing, while the remaining air being produced by the compressor just blows by the pressure regulator prior to the desiccant. But if you ignore a leaky air valve or actuator, then you end up with air constantly flowing through your system very rapidly depleting the moisture absorbing capacity of your desiccant which then leads to very wet air flowing through your air system from it's point of origin at the compressor to where it ultimately finds it's way out at the leak. 

This can happen very rapidly with a sufficient leak. If you feel moisture on your hand when you actuate your flaps or gear, thats water blowing out of the exhaust port, and means you have water in your system and your desiccant is dead.

Ernie

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

I guess you could put one on the output side as well. But because the compressor on the CJ fills both the main and emergency bottles, you should really put one on the output of both tanks.

The way the moisture gets into the tank in the first place is from the compressor.That's why putting Doug's SS filter on the input to the tank is the best thing you can do...stop the moisture to the maximum extent possible from entering the two tanks.
Dennis

[quote] Since the subject of this post has drifted to main tank rust prevention, I always wonder if adding an additional stainless steel compress air/water filter from Doug Sapp to the main tank outlet would help the entire system stay clean?

Do you see any down side to this idea (other then the added cost and maintenance which are fairly minimum)?

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org) <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)>> wrote:

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Mark Davis" <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)
    <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)>>

Harv,
         Anything that can harden can fracture.  I'd be worried about
    fractured
    bits moving through the system that wouldn't be friendly to the
    actuators
    and cylinders or start system.  Whatever gunk forms in the system
    seems to
    be carried out with an occasional dose of glycerine/alcohol in my
    system.
    I've even cured a leaking actuator in my landing gear before by
    giving it a
    shot of glycerine/alcohol.  The handful of snot in my hand after
    cycling the
    experience, YMMV.

Mark Davis
    N44YK

--

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Ernie is absolutely correct in his statement. Good job Ernie pointing
that out.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 3/3/2017 9:14 PM, Ernest Martinez wrote:
[quote] It's also important to have a tight air system. In a normally
operating system the air compressor will charge up the air system up
to operating pressure and then that air remains static in the
plumbing, while the remaining air being produced by the compressor
just blows by the pressure regulator prior to the desiccant. But if
you ignore a leaky air valve or actuator, then you end up with air
constantly flowing through your system very rapidly depleting the
moisture absorbing capacity of your desiccant which then leads to very
wet air flowing through your air system from it's point of origin at
the compressor to where it ultimately finds it's way out at the leak.

This can happen very rapidly with a sufficient leak. If you feel
moisture on your hand when you actuate your flaps or gear, thats water
blowing out of the exhaust port, and means you have water in your
system and your desiccant is dead.
Ernie

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM, A. Dennis Savarese
<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net <mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>> wrote:

<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net <mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>>

I guess you could put one on the output side as well. But because
the compressor on the CJ fills both the main and emergency
bottles, you should really put one on the output of both tanks.

The way the moisture gets into the tank in the first place is from
the compressor.That's why putting Doug's SS filter on the input to
the tank is the best thing you can do...stop the moisture to the
maximum extent possible from entering the two tanks.
Dennis

Since the subject of this post has drifted to main tank rust
prevention, I always wonder if adding an additional stainless
steel compress air/water filter from Doug Sapp to the main
tank outlet would help the entire system stay clean?

Do you see any down side to this idea (other then the added
cost and maintenance which are fairly minimum)?

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Mark Davis
<markdavis(at)wbsnet.org <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>
<mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>>>
wrote:

<markdavis(at)wbsnet.org <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>
<mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org <mailto:markdavis(at)wbsnet.org>>>

Harv,
Anything that can harden can fracture. I'd be
worried about
fractured
bits moving through the system that wouldn't be friendly
to the
actuators
and cylinders or start system. Whatever gunk forms in the
system
seems to
be carried out with an occasional dose of
glycerine/alcohol in my
system.
I've even cured a leaking actuator in my landing gear
before by
giving it a
shot of glycerine/alcohol. The handful of snot in my hand
after
cycling the
gear a few times must've had the culprit mixed in with it.
That's my
experience, YMMV.

Mark Davis
N44YK
--

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Agree with Mark. Keep tool oil out of the air system. Got that T shirt too.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

[quote] On Mar 3, 2017, at 1:20 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

The subject of what to mix up and put in the pneumatic system has been an on-again, off-again topic for decades now. It seems that everyone has their own idea of "extra ingredients" that can be added to make it even better. I respect the fact that Jon is actually ASKING about "tool oil" here, and not just doing it out of hand because someone else suggested it. For the record, I followed lots of advice when I first purchased my Russian aircraft one of which was adding pneumatic tool oil to the mixture of "stuff" to blow into the pneumatic system. The result was a total failure of the chevron seals in the landing gear actuators. Were they old to begin with? Yes they were. However, adding that tool oil was without a doubt the catalyst that led to their demise and I was just lucky that I didn't end up becoming a statistic.

Experimental aircraft owners have a lot of latitude on what they can do with their airplanes but I would suggest caution when implementing ideas that are not covered in the maintenance manuals.

Mark

p.s. Jon, don't add any "tool oil" or anything else that will end up being blown through the aircrafts pneumatic system. Instead stick to the plan. The one the people who made the airplane recommend.

--

Ttail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

" The "cocktail" is fully described in the manual, which most of us have but for some reason fail to read. "

Help us out here Doug what is the formula in the manual ? .... away from home so away from the books Smile

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

A&P in my area who has been working on Yaks and my CJ for many years has always recommended and used antifreeze in the air system. Great lubricant, absorbs water, not petroleum based, rust inhibitors in it and similar consistency to what is recommended in the manual, etc, etc.

YMMV,

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm wondering what the antifreeze does to the rubber seals in the actuators and unlock assemblies? Just for grins, try soaking a couple of the replacement chevron seals for a few days and see if they swell or any sign of deterioration. Let us know the results please.
Dennis

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2017, at 1:47 PM, ChangDriver <capav8r(at)gmail.com> wrote:

A&P in my area who has been working on Yaks and my CJ for many years has always recommended and used antifreeze in the air system. Great lubricant, absorbs water, not petroleum based, rust inhibitors in it and similar consistency to what is recommended in the manual, etc, etc.

YMMV,

Craig

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466971#466971

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Air Tank Cocktail Reply with quote

Craig, I disagree with your A&P's recommendation. I would ask him what other aircraft pneumatic system has he experience with where he unilaterally added antifreeze because he "felt it was a good idea". And I'll put it out there in another way. How about if your A&P mechanic calls an FAA maintenance inspector and says: "Hey, I'm working on this Chinese and Russian aircraft that has a pneumatic system used for flaps, landing gear and brakes..... what are your feeling about me adding ANTIFREEZE into the system, because hey... it is a great lubricant, absorbs water, has rust inhibitors, etc., etc. Do that and let's see what they say.

RTFM (Read the Manual)

Mark

p.s. I've been working on Russian aircraft for 18 years now, and military aircraft for 47 years. Just FYI, military aircraft also have high pressure pneumatic systems and we do NOT recommend adding antifreeze to the system.... ever.
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: