Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Run Away Elevator Trim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossmickey(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

I would appreciate any ideas on why this happened so I can focus my investigation.

After a soggy winter, Sunday was a beautiful day for a cross country over southern Oregon. I was 35 min out of Eugene and turned my autopilot off as I was approaching a mountain ridge and with 25 knot winds, I wanted to be ready for any mountain wave activity. As I turned the autopilot off, I noticed that it was indicating that I needed to trim nose down. When the autopilot went offline, I went to set the electric elevator trim and nothing happened, the indicator was reading full nose up and I was having to exert significant forward stick pressure to keep level. The aileron trim indictor was reading full right but looking at the tab on my left wing, it did not appear to be in this position but when I tried to move it, it also failed to respond. After an uncomfortable flight back to Eugene with full up elevator trim, I shut it down and did a visual inspection then turned the power back on. The trim worked perfectly and all indicators were reading normal. Now I have to figure out what caused the malfunction.

Here is my setup.

Infinity grip with 4 way trim on a hat switch on top center, flap momentary switch on top right and comm flip flop momentary on the top left.

Aileron and elevator electric trim run by Mac servos through Matronic’s Mk III governors with Mac indictors on the panel. Wiring for the Mac is found here. Wiring for the governor is here.

What I have done.

During the cursory visual inspection, I found that the nut holding the comm flip flop switch to the left of the hat switch had fallen off causing it to be loose in the grip. I never use this switch so I hadn’t noticed it before. I wiggled this while running the trims through the hat switch to see if I could reproduce the fault and couldn’t. I replaced the nut then took the Infinity grip apart. Everything looked normal.

I will now start digging into the guts of the wiring and would appreciate any suggestions on what the possible cause was and therefore where I can start my investigation. How could the trim run to the full out position and then not respond to the hat switch? Why would the aileron trim also not work and show an incorrect reading? Could the comm flip flop switch rear connectors have made contact with the hat switch rear connectors in a way that bypassed the hat switch rendering it inoperable even though I could not get it to do so by wiggling it?

Thanks,

Ross Mickey
RV6A N9PT

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Is the hat switch the only trim switch in the airplane?

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ross Home
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:18 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Run Away Elevator Trim

I would appreciate any ideas on why this happened so I can focus my investigation.

After a soggy winter, Sunday was a beautiful day for a cross country over southern Oregon. I was 35 min out of Eugene and turned my autopilot off as I was approaching a mountain ridge and with 25 knot winds, I wanted to be ready for any mountain wave activity. As I turned the autopilot off, I noticed that it was indicating that I needed to trim nose down. When the autopilot went offline, I went to set the electric elevator trim and nothing happened, the indicator was reading full nose up and I was having to exert significant forward stick pressure to keep level. The aileron trim indictor was reading full right but looking at the tab on my left wing, it did not appear to be in this position but when I tried to move it, it also failed to respond. After an uncomfortable flight back to Eugene with full up elevator trim, I shut it down and did a visual inspection then turned the power back on. The trim worked perfectly and all indicators were reading normal. Now I have to figure out what caused the malfunction.

Here is my setup.

Infinity grip with 4 way trim on a hat switch on top center, flap momentary switch on top right and comm flip flop momentary on the top left.

Aileron and elevator electric trim run by Mac servos through Matronic’s Mk III governors with Mac indictors on the panel. Wiring for the Mac is found here. Wiring for the governor is here.

What I have done.

During the cursory visual inspection, I found that the nut holding the comm flip flop switch to the left of the hat switch had fallen off causing it to be loose in the grip. I never use this switch so I hadn’t noticed it before. I wiggled this while running the trims through the hat switch to see if I could reproduce the fault and couldn’t. I replaced the nut then took the Infinity grip apart. Everything looked normal.

I will now start digging into the guts of the wiring and would appreciate any suggestions on what the possible cause was and therefore where I can start my investigation. How could the trim run to the full out position and then not respond to the hat switch? Why would the aileron trim also not work and show an incorrect reading? Could the comm flip flop switch rear connectors have made contact with the hat switch rear connectors in a way that bypassed the hat switch rendering it inoperable even though I could not get it to do so by wiggling it?

Thanks,

Ross Mickey
RV6A N9PT

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Yes.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:38 AM
Subject: RE: Run Away Elevator Trim

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Ross Home
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

Here is my setup.

What I have done.

Thanks,

Ross Mickey
RV6A N9PT

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Soggy winter... Soggy Mac PC board?
If the switch on the infinity grip drops down can the ground touch the solder in connectors of the trim switches?
Any chafing of wires within the grip (I have to be super careful with all of the wires inside my grip.
Thanks,
Bill Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

The plane is hangered and the fact that the trim worked at the start of the flight and after leads me to believe it isn’t that.  No wire chaffing on the Infinity.  I also take great care in installing it.

As to the last question, IF the solder connections can meet, what connections would have to be made to cause my fault since the comm flip flop is momentary and always in the off position?

Ross

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of William Hunter
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:55 AM
Subject: RE: Run Away Elevator Trim

Soggy winter... Soggy Mac PC board?
If the switch on the infinity grip drops down can the ground touch the solder in connectors of the trim switches?
Any chafing of wires within the grip (I have to be super careful with all of the wires inside my grip.
Thanks,
Bill Hunter

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Rene <rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Rene'
[url=tel:(801)%20721-6080]801-721-6080[/url]

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Ross Home

After a soggy winter, Sunday was a beautiful day for a cross country over southern Oregon.  I was 35 min out of Eugene and turned my autopilot off as I was approaching a mountain ridge and with 25 knot winds, I wanted to be ready for any mountain wave activity.  As I turned the autopilot off, I noticed that it was indicating that I needed to trim nose down.  When the autopilot went offline, I went to set the electric elevator trim and nothing happened, the indicator was reading full nose up and I was having to exert significant forward stick pressure to keep level.  The aileron trim indictor was reading full right but looking at the tab on my left wing, it did not appear to be in this position but when I tried to move it, it also failed to respond.  After an uncomfortable flight back to Eugene with full up elevator trim, I shut it down and did a visual inspection then turned the power back on.  The trim worked perfectly and all indicators were reading normal.  Now I have to figure out what caused the malfunction.

Here is my setup.

Aileron and elevator electric trim run by Mac servos through Matronic’s Mk III governors with Mac indictors on the panel. Wiring for the Mac is found here.  Wiring for the governor is here.

What I have done.

During the cursory visual inspection, I found that the nut holding the comm flip flop switch to the left of the hat switch had fallen off causing it to be loose in the grip.  I never use this switch so I hadn’t noticed it before.  I wiggled this while running the trims through the hat switch to see if I could reproduce the fault and couldn’t. I replaced the nut then took the Infinity grip apart.  Everything looked normal.

I will now start digging into the guts of the wiring and would appreciate any suggestions on what the possible cause was and therefore where I can start my investigation.  How could the trim run to the full out position and then not respond to the hat switch?  Why would the aileron trim also not work and show an incorrect reading?  Could the comm flip flop switch rear connectors have made contact with the hat switch rear connectors in a way that bypassed the hat switch rendering it inoperable even though I could not get it to do so by wiggling it?

Thanks,

Ross Mickey
RV6A  N9PT

What's inside the governor box? If there's any kind of processor, it could 'lock up', like computers, phones, etc. Power cycling  (rebooting) could easily clear many fault modes. 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Run Away Elevator Trim Reply with quote

You asked…. What's inside the governor box? If there's any kind of processor, it could 'lock up', like computers, phones, etc. Power cycling (rebooting) could easily clear many fault modes.

IDK.  Matt would be able to answer that.

Ross

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Run Away Elevator Trim

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Rene <rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Rene'
[url=tel:(801)%20721-6080]801-721-6080[/url]

Here is my setup.

What I have done.

Thanks,

Ross Mickey
RV6A N9PT

What's inside the governor box? If there's any kind of processor, it could 'lock up', like computers, phones, etc. Power cycling (rebooting) could easily clear many fault modes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: