Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aviation Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinegunner(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Aviation Safety Reply with quote

Doug,
I have been flying GA since 1956, controlled airplanes from 1967 until 1983, helped operate a variety of military and civil airports from 1968 until 1989 and continue to fly on a very regular basis. Between 1967 and 1983, military aviation was also a big part of my life. I have a Masters in Aviation Management (does not mean much) and long ago acknowledged that aviation was and is a part of my life - I would be truly sad without aviation.

But, I Have Never Said or even thought that driving a car to the airport was less dangerous than flying the type GA aircraft most of us fly. It simply is not and never has been. I have always thought that pilots who thought that way were either very good at managing their risk or not very knowledgeable about a good deal of GA flying.

Mr. John King, in the article you attached, said a good number of things about safety and risk management that are very true. In fact, as I start on a mentoring project for a new pilot, he will get to read John's article and then discuss it with me several times throughout his training towards a pilot certificate - no matter what level he chooses.

The most important thing I can impart to him revolves around managing the risk he will take while flying. Doing so will help ensure that he and his loved ones continue to enjoy aviation throughout the remainder of his life and that his life is not cut short by an "accident".

Bottom line, thanks for the article, it should be read and heeded by all of us. GA is not and never has been less dangerous than driving a car on our nations (or the world's) public streets. But it can be if we all learn to manage the risk and practice what we learned every time we fly or contemplate flying.
--
Semper Fi,
Steven R. Hulland
CH 600 Taildragger
Amado, AZ

This and all other incoming/outgoing email, attachments and replies scanned prior to opening/sending and uses an external firewall to help insure virus free email and attachments.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
naumuk(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Aviation Safety Reply with quote

Steve (And all)-
    1. Kudos to Alltel/Windstream as an ISP. Everything up and running a day ahead of schedule and noticably faster.
    2. Re: starting/groundloop- About 12 years back there was a guy at a local airport who did a credible aerobatic act in his '39 T-Craft. The compression ratio must have been down to about 2:1, because he gave the prop a half-hearted flip while walking back to the cabin and it started right up. Same guy taxiied after his routine tail up in front of the grandstand using nothing but rudder, cut the engine and dropped the tail on cue. Sounds like just the guy you need to talk to.
    3.The main advantage driving has over flying is unintentional entry into IMC. You can always pull over if you can't see.
       About 10 years ago I took off in 4 and 6 and by the time I was done setting my radios and Loran fog had rolled in and I couldn't see anywhere but down. Been there, done that, scared the S__t out of myself, don't want to go back.
                                                                                do not archive  
Bill Naumuk
40%HDS being relocated to new shop
Townville, Pa
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: