Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Zodiac unusually strong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2thesky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

I notice that most kit-planes in the same weight range of the Zodiac XL have load limit factors of +4/-2 G's. The zodiac literature says + or -6 G's. Also, most kit-planes in the same class list a Vne that is just slightly higher than the published cruise speed, and some even list max cruise as Vne. The XL claims a 180 mph Vne. This makes me want to believe that the XL has a stronger airframe than most. I did read on this list a while back (a year or so ago) a post in which someone claimed that an XL tail-dragger was a bad idea because of an "already delicate" airframe. What gives? Am I missing something here, or is the Zodiac a stronger aircraft? Or is the airframe delicate in the tail-dragger config. Like all other builders, I want to choose a project that is as safe as possible to fly, and I think that it would be pretty hard to argue with the record of the Zodiac and the fact that Chris Heintz has designed many airplanes, some that went on to be certified. Also, does anyone flying their XL have an opinion on crosswind handling and how the thing flies in rough air? Thanks in advance for any input.

N.F. in OK
Trying to decide...................

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

You will notice the +/-ve 6G's is Ultimate....with a 1.5 saftey factor
that's basically +/-4.5 G's....Essentially it's a utility grade
aircraft. Depends if the others have been listed with or without the
safety factor.

I don't think the fact the 601 does not cruise near its Vne is
particularly relevant. The HDS has a lower number than this (160mph if I
remember correctly) even buzzing a runway once as fast as I could
reasonably (sensible dive angle) get it to go it did not exceed 150mph.

As to X wind lanings the HDS was just superb.

If you want a Sport pilot airplane then an XL is a good choice...A
considerably better airplane overall would be an RV-9A INHO and the
prepunched kit is far superior. The downside is you get the pleasure of
driving solid rivets instead of pop rivets which are a lot more work
Frank
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

2thesky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

Thanks,

I have a buddy with an RV. Beautiful plane for sure, but I want less expensive option. His burns LOTS more fuel than other friends that run Rotax engines. ANd auto fuel, at that. Also, I am going to stay with LSA qualified airplanes in case I want to go that route. I am not interested too much in speed. An honest 100 mph is plenty fine for me. I am more worried about shooting for a 5 gph airplane than speed. I would give up cruise to gain a little fuel economy. Another interesting thing that is hindering my selection process is that I followed all the advice and got my wife involved. I took her flying, took her to airshows and asked for her input on the looks of the planes that I am looking at building. We have a friend that gave us both rides in his Kitfox. That did, it she is in love. She wants me to get a high wing (so she can look straight down) and her personal favorite is the HIghlander from Just Aircraft. I like that airplane, but I am looking at the number of flying Zenith models and their track record, so on and so forth. The good thing is that if I build a Zodiac first, maybe she will let me add a high wing for her to ride in! Smile

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

I fully understand your selection criteria (LSA) but I must point out a
correction.

Your buddy's RV only consumes more fuel for two possible reasons.

1) The engine makes more power...i.e it's a bigger engine run at a
higher power setting
2) Its being run too rich...I.e he is not leaning it correctly.

If you have an engine that makes the same horsepower at the same mixture
setting it will consume the same amount of few to within a few ounces
per hour.

Incidently most of the lycomings will run autofuel quite happily.

Even though it's a MUCH more expensive plane with FI and a constant
speed prop, there is a guy wih an RV7 called Dan checkoway. He has
demonstrated a 134knot cruise at 34 miles per gallon.....There was no
way on the face of this Earth I could get close to that kind of fuel
consumption or that kind of speed at ANY fuel consumption...Smile

Frank

--

2thesky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

I fully agree. BUT most of my flying is done within 50 miles of my house. It would be different if I was wanting an airplane to go places in. My buddies RV handles like a fighter. I love it, but in the pattern doing touch and goes, where I spend lots of my time, it uses more fuel than the Kitfox does. Not sire of the fuel consumption of an XL with a 912S. THe RV is a -6 with an 0-320 150 hp Lyc. It was built and is flown by a retired Navy fighter, private charter, and major airline pilot who has instructed the last 10 years. If his RV was capable of using less fuel, I am sure he would know how to do it. It uses almost the same amount of fuel flying circles around the patch as the Warrior I am renting now. BUT the -6 is about 7 times the fun. In cruise it is FAR, FAR more economical than the Warrior and probably even the XL, but as I said most of my flying is local sight seeing and touch and goes for an hour or so after work. I really want to stay within the limits of SportPilot anyway. If I wasn't going to an RV-9 taildragger would be on the top of the list. A Glastar would be second.

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Is the Zodiac unusually strong? Reply with quote

Yup different mission than you want altogether.

On a normal airplane engines it is rare to bother with leaning in the
pattern...By their very nature they will run rich. Your buddy could most
certainly make it use less fuel but the time spent in the pattern is
usually small compared to flying cross country. As you say it also has
150HP all of which gets used on take off.

What would be better for you is a Rotax with altitude compensating
carbs..Or any other engine with the same carbs for that matter.

Good luck on your choice.

Frank

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: