Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preliminary tests on modern fuse link wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Preliminary tests on modern fuse link wire Reply with quote

I ordered in some off-the-shelf fuse link wire
with the intent of testing it for behavior under
high fault currents.

I've seen fuse-link wire that claimed to be
made of some alloy of copper with a slightly
higher resistance per square. The idea being
that it would melt in a less spectacular manner
than pure copper.

The wire I received is pure copper with a
an unique (Used to be Hypalon - now
discontinued and replaced by CSPE) insulation.
Okay, if one of these wires were tied in a
bundle with other wires, would the fusing
event propagate outside to the detriment
of adjacent wires?

Took a 9" piece of 20AWG fuse wire out to
the shop and forced 100A through it.
It took 3 or 4 seconds before any reaction
was evident. Heard some hissing and then
a rapidly growing jet of smoke through a couple
of holes that formed in the insulation.

99.5% of the insulation stayed intact save
the 'vent' holes . . . pretty slick stuff.
The smoke was voluminous but not particularly
noxious.

I think wires bundled with this stuff would
be well isolated from the fusing event.

I'll do more formal testing along
with video coverage and fold that into
a Shop Notes for the website. In the mean
time, I am encouraged that this material
offers an alternative to ANL or MANL fuse
blocks in smaller systems.

You may have noticed the fusible links in
Z100 and Z101 drawings. I think those will
stay. MUCH easier to fab than the earlier
design shielded in Fiberglas. Cut of a chunk,
splice it into the feeder with standard
PIDG terminations and tie into bundle with
other wires.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
markfw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Preliminary tests on modern fuse link wire Reply with quote

Bob,

Thank you for doing this experimental research on fusible links. They appear to be an elegant and lightweight solution to my problem of where to mount an MANL fitting for my alternator b-lead in my cub.

I will be using a 40 amp externally regulated B&C alternator. My average load will be 30 amps.

I am using 8 AWG wire for the b-lead. The normal rule for link sizing is apparently to go up 4 steps in AWG size. This would suggest using a 12 AWG link. However the ampacity of 12 AWG wire is only 30 amps according to the National Electrical code.

This seems a little low, but I realize that fusible links will usually significantly exceed their nominal ampacity before "blowing".

What do you think in terms of link size?

Can you suggest a brand for Hypalon jacketed fusible links? It doesn't seem to be called out in many of the listings for fusible links.

How long should the link be? I assume that it should be as close the battery as possible?

Thanks.

Mark

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

markfw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Preliminary tests on modern fuse link wire Reply with quote

Bob,

Thank you for doing this experimental research on fusible links. They appear to be an elegant and lightweight solution to my problem of where to mount an MANL fitting for my alternator b-lead in my cub.

I will be using a 40 amp externally regulated B&C alternator. My average load will be 30 amps.

I am using 8 AWG wire for the b-lead. The normal rule for link sizing is apparently to go up 4 steps in AWG size. This would suggest using a 12 AWG link. However the ampacity of 12 AWG wire is only 30 amps according to the National Electrical code.

This seems a little low, but I realize that fusible links will usually significantly exceed their nominal ampacity before "blowing".

What do you think in terms of link size?

Can you suggest a brand for Hypalon jacketed fusible links? It doesn't seem to be called out in many of the listings for fusible links.

How long should the link be? I assume that it should be as close the battery as possible?

Thanks.

Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: