Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meat_ball

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

I've decided NOT to reinvent the wheel. In my previous thread I posted a wiring diagram that I thought was a good first shot at the whole process. Everyone here gave me sound advice which I thought I put into practice, however the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was not using the advice I had told my teenagers to heed many many times...work smarter, not harder.

SO....

I've decided to abandon my attempt at a diagram and build off the tried and true Z diagrams that Bob offers in the Aeroelectric Connection. Of course, it can never be easy because I've decided to go off the reservation and not use stock Rotax "stuff". That said, it is basically going to be a stock 914, with stock internal Generator but adding fuel injection and a second, 15A alternator (externally regulated) on the flywheel (I believe) to supplement the electrical system supply. I would like to use diagram Z-12 and Z-16 together since they have all I need, but am not sure how to integrate one into the other. For instance, I've decided I should have a dedicated Battery Bus for the dual electronic ignition (both on that bus?) and an ECU wire that says should come directly from the hot side of the battery.

There will be 2 fuel pumps, one rotax says has to be powered directly from the Internal Generator, and the other from the bus. Both will have their own respective switches.

My questions are thus:

1)Will both alternators have their own separate crowbar units or is that not possible? How would over voltage be incorporated?

2)I've decided I should have a dedicated Battery Bus for the dual electronic ignition and an ECU wire that says should come directly from the hot side of the battery. Should both ignitions be on that bus together?

3) Suggestions for my mostly Z-16 diagram?

I really wish I new how to use a CAD program to make this look better!!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Highlander scheme.bmp
 Description:
 Filesize:  820.84 KB
 Viewed:  3929 Time(s)

Highlander scheme.bmp

Last edited by meat_ball on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
user9253

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

Going with one of Bob's proven wiring diagrams is a good decision.
Try ExpressPCB software for drawing wiring diagrams.
https://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcb-classic-pcb-layout-software/#wow-modal-id-1
It is just about the easiest CAD program to learn.
It is a two part program. Express.sch is for drawing a schematic.
Express.pcb is for designing printed circuit boards.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

meat_ball

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
Going with one of Bob's proven wiring diagrams is a good decision.
Try ExpressPCB software for drawing wiring diagrams.
https://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcb-classic-pcb-layout-software/#wow-modal-id-1
It is just about the easiest CAD program to learn.
It is a two part program. Express.sch is for drawing a schematic.
Express.pcb is for designing printed circuit boards.

I've got it mostly figured out using ExpressPCB. Thanks for the suggestion, Joe!!

I have one question concerning the external alternator. It has the attached photo in the manual and it says "any hot lead with key switched on." Since I won't have a key, where should I attach this lead? By the way, i've updated my first post with the electronically produced schematic so hopefully it will be easier to read. You can see the black lead of the voltage regulator sitting in nowhere land toward the bottom.

Thanks all.

{532DCE49-2AB2-4844-8AA9-C5B9F57BDAA4}.png.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.89 KB
 Viewed:  3986 Time(s)

{532DCE49-2AB2-4844-8AA9-C5B9F57BDAA4}.png.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

The black wire both enables the regulator output and provides voltage sensing.
Connect it to the main power bus through both a 3 amp fuse and a switch.
The switch is required to shut off the regulator in case of smoke or fire.
Shutting off the battery contactor will not shut down an alternator that is already running.
Mount the regulator to an aluminum surface with heat conductive paste.
Provide forced air cooling if possible.
If the regulator ever fails, consider buying part number AM101406,or
MIA881279, or JDR1406 on eBay for as little as $17.

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

Ground wires should be the same size as the positive wire. Use 12 AWG.

meat_ball

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-16 with a sprinkling of Z-12...help? Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
Ground wires should be the same size as the positive wire. Use 12 AWG.

Joe,

I appreciate the fact that you've answered my questions on here. Concerning the latest on the external regulator, is what I have on the diagram at the moment doing the trick?

1) I still don't know about the crowbar modules as I haven't gotten an answer about those just yet. Can you have them running in a system such as mine, both at the same time? Also, at the moment it doesn't appear that the crowbar module will automatically disconnect the external alternator...is that because of the type of regulator on the 13/8 diagram doesn't require one?

2)In looking at diagram Z-13/8 and trying to understand the text on fuselinks, I just don't get it. What is the point of having those?

I think I'm close, I just don't get the nuances and I'm sure those are the things that will put my plane in jeopardy...

Thank you again for your time everyone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: