Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arduino and

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argoldman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Anybody know if an Arduino will create interference with the aircraft radios, including GPS.

Same question with regulators. Will a switching regulator create noise that we can't use or is it best to use a linear regulator with it's attendant heat problems. 12V to 5 V.

This is a little above my pay grade.

Hope everybody is staying well now

Thanks.

Rich

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

At 07:17 PM 12/16/2020, you wrote:

Quote:
Greetings all,

Anybody know if an Arduino will create interference with the aircraft radios, including GPS.

unlikely but easy to test in VMC
flight. The only predictive activity
you can pursue is to take it to an
EMC lab and run the full suite of
radiated compatibility tests. You
probably wont find any violations . . .
and even if there are some, the
probability of posing a risk is
low. The last EMC lab time I rented
was about 20 years ago and it was
over $750/hr!
Quote:

Same question with regulators. Will a switching regulator create
noise that we can't use or is it best to use a linear regulator with it's attendant heat problems. 12V to 5 V.
I take it you're not talking about an
alternator regulator. What energy class
are we talking about? Mounted on an
ECB to stroke the Arduino parts?
I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

argoldman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

I am considering using RC servos to regulate heating airflow from a fan heat exchanger (liquid cooled) to enable me to electrically control 3 tubes —front seat, rear seats and defrost. The servos need pulse modulated... a good application for the Arduino. The servos and Arduino need power at around 5V thus the necessity for regulator.
Maybe these kind of things have stretched my build time to 16 years and still counting🤕
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 16, 2020, at 8:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Greetings all,

over $750/hr!
Quote:

noise that we can't use or is it best to use a linear regulator with it's attendant heat problems. 12V to 5 V.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"
=================================== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

I run several 5 volt arduinos  for data collection, displays, and signal
processing in plastic boxes and haven't detected any issues whether they
are powered or not.  No effect on a couple of gps receivers or VHF comm.
I do not have an ILS or VOR receiver.
Ken

On 16/12/2020 9:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Anybody know if an Arduino will create interference with the aircraft
> radios, including GPS.

over $750/hr!
>
> Same question with regulators. Will a switching regulator create
> noise that we can't use or is it best to use a linear regulator with
> it's attendant heat problems. 12V to 5 V.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

argoldman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

Ken,
Very encouraging.
What are you using to reduce to 5V?

Thanks

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 16, 2020, at 9:09 PM, C&K <yellowduckduo(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I run several 5 volt arduinos for data collection, displays, and signal processing in plastic boxes and haven't detected any issues whether they are powered or not. No effect on a couple of gps receivers or VHF comm. I do not have an ILS or VOR receiver.
Ken

> On 16/12/2020 9:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
> At 07:17 PM 12/16/2020, you wrote:
>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> Anybody know if an Arduino will create interference with the aircraft radios, including GPS.
>
> unlikely but easy to test in VMC
> flight. The only predictive activity
> you can pursue is to take it to an
> EMC lab and run the full suite of
> radiated compatibility tests. You
> probably wont find any violations . . .
> and even if there are some, the
> probability of posing a risk is
> low. The last EMC lab time I rented
> was about 20 years ago and it was
> over $750/hr!
>>
>> Same question with regulators. Will a switching regulator create
>> noise that we can't use or is it best to use a linear regulator with it's attendant heat problems. 12V to 5 V.
> I take it you're not talking about an
> alternator regulator. What energy class
> are we talking about? Mounted on an
> ECB to stroke the Arduino parts?
> I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> Bob . . .
>
> Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
> survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
> out of that stuff?"
>

andymeyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino and Reply with quote

Arduinos interface very nicely. In fact, I've tested and am installing an color, touchscreen engine monitor based on three arduino type microcontrollers. Already proved out the interface with the GPS (both Aviation and NMEA formats).

I have linear regulators for power. https://recom-power.com/pdf/Innoline/R-78E-1.0.pdf

What I've built is a circuit board with all of my glue logic (linear power supplies, thermocouple to analog converters, voltage dividers, circuit protection, drivers for outputs, RS-232 drivers, etc...) on a board that the Arduino (Teensy) micro-controller board is installed on.

The teensy is easily programmed in C. Working on the air data computer / magnetometer now. That will feed the data for winds aloft computations to my Avidyne IFD540.

I've also got a Stratux (home built ADS-B receiver) feeding traffic and weather via RS232 to my IFD-540 which then shares it to my ipad, etc... That has a boost/buck converter since the Raspberry Pi needs a bit more power. (2 amps)

Rich, What / how do you want to interface (user interface) to this? This is easy stuff for an Arduino. Spin a PCBA to mount the arduino, switches, UI, etc.. on, mount it in a case with connectors, and you're done. The PCBA could be as cheap as $20-30 shipped. How much power to the servos?

bob.verwey(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

How impressive!

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, 17:36 andymeyer, <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com (meyerkc135(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "andymeyer" <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com (meyerkc135(at)gmail.com)>

Arduinos interface very nicely. In fact, I've tested and am installing an color, touchscreen engine monitor based on three arduino type microcontrollers. Already proved out the interface with the GPS (both Aviation and NMEA formats).

I have linear regulators for power. https://recom-power.com/pdf/Innoline/R-78E-1.0.pdf

What I've built is a circuit board with all of my glue logic (linear power supplies, thermocouple to analog converters, voltage dividers, circuit protection, drivers for outputs, RS-232 drivers, etc...) on a board that the Arduino (Teensy) micro-controller board is installed on.

The teensy is easily programmed in C. Working on the air data computer / magnetometer now. That will feed the data for winds aloft computations to my Avidyne IFD540.

I've also got a Stratux (home built ADS-B receiver) feeding traffic and weather via RS232 to my IFD-540 which then shares it to my ipad, etc... That has a boost/buck converter since the Raspberry Pi needs a bit more power. (2 amps)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499691#499691

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

At 09:25 AM 12/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "andymeyer" <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com>

Great data points . . .

The first flying uC project I built was
individual CPU, Bus decoders, RAM, ROM,
I/O ports, etc. There were significant
lengths of copper running between chips
to keep everything dancing together. These
were NOT transmission lines terminated
for minimal radiation. Hence, likelihood
of radiation was significant but on the
upside, that uC clocked along at a blazing
4 MHz!

I've not personally taken a uC project
to production so there was never a need to
run through the EMC sniffer lab. All my
stuff was engineering prototype or flight
test hardware. So I'll never know if those
early hammer-n-tongs projects would have
problematic pathways to production.

Today's uC device run MUCH faster but the
family of chips necessary to address
the task are on a single piece of silicon.
Essentially zero bus lengths.

The most energetic violators of RF sanctity
in the cockpit have been display screens of various
types. I recall walking up to a booth at OSH
one year with a VHF Comm transceiver in my
pocket. The starry-eyed entrepreneur was eager
to show me his offering for a little engine
monitor with a 2.5" screen with great color
and brightness. The transceiver in my pocket
went bonkers. Took the antenna of the radio
and probed around the outside of his nicely
crafted enclosure. The greatest radiation
came from the face of the display.

I think the risks for unwanted radiation from
your DIY project is low and probably fixable
if it is discovered. If your project includes
a flat screen display . . . look there first.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino and Reply with quote

andymeyer wrote:

Slight topic hijack, but do you have the details of the RS232 output from the Stratux? I'd like that input to a GRT Mini display. John

andymeyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino and Reply with quote

farmrjohn wrote:
andymeyer wrote:

Slight topic hijack, but do you have the details of the RS232 output from the Stratux? I'd like that input to a GRT Mini display. John

Started new thread on this...

david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

I'm using an Arduino to read the analog 0-5v output from an automotive AFR monitor (Ballenger AFR500v2) as input to a PID controller, with the output controlling a linear actuator (fancy name for servo) that pushes or pulls the mixture knob in my RV7A. I also have a Raspberry Pi-based Stratux in the plane, and I've never encountered EMI issues. I'd like to add control of my heater damper because I'm always fiddling with it - always too hot or too cold. 

I'm using these actuators - https://www.actuonix.com/RC-linear-servos-s/1853.htm
---
David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:17 PM A RICHARD GOLDMAN <argoldman(at)aol.com (argoldman(at)aol.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks Bob,

I am considering using RC servos to regulate heating airflow from a fan heat exchanger (liquid cooled) to enable me to electrically control 3 tubes —front seat, rear seats and defrost. The servos need pulse modulated... a good application for  the Arduino. The servos and Arduino need power at around 5V thus the necessity for regulator.
Maybe these kind of things have stretched my build time to 16 years and still counting🤕
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 16, 2020, at 8:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Greetings all,

over $750/hr!
Quote:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"
========== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List ========== cs.com ========== om ========== matronics.com/contribution ==========

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

David,
Super cool project! I have questions:
1. What is the PID controller running on? (Arduino, uController,???)
2. Where, physically did you place the O2 sensor?

Thx,

Jeff
Camarillo CA

On Thursday, December 17, 2020, 11:29:56 AM PST, David Carter <david(at)carter.net> wrote:

I'm using an Arduino to read the analog 0-5v output from an automotive AFR monitor (Ballenger AFR500v2) as input to a PID controller, with the output controlling a linear actuator (fancy name for servo) that pushes or pulls the mixture knob in my RV7A. I also have a Raspberry Pi-based Stratux in the plane, and I've never encountered EMI issues. I'd like to add control of my heater damper because I'm always fiddling with it - always too hot or too cold.

I'm using these actuators - https://www.actuonix.com/RC-linear-servos-s/1853.htm
---
David Carter

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:17 PM A RICHARD GOLDMAN <argoldman(at)aol.com (argoldman(at)aol.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks Bob,

I am considering using RC servos to regulate heating airflow from a fan heat exchanger (liquid cooled) to enable me to electrically control 3 tubes —front seat, rear seats and defrost. The servos need pulse modulated... a good application for the Arduino. The servos and Arduino need power at around 5V thus the necessity for regulator.
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Quote:
Greetings all,

over $750/hr!
Quote:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"
========== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List ========== cs.com ========== om ========== matronics.com/contribution ==========

david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Arduino and Reply with quote

Jeff - 

Quote:
> 1. What is the PID controller running on? (Arduino, uController,???)
          - The pid logic is currently running on an ESP32 programmed via the Arduino IDE. I'm not sure if that will be the final HW platform or not. I'd like to have WiFi and/or BLE available for future enhancements. The ESP32 BLE stack consumes almost the entire program space, so I may need to go with a co-processor to offload the communications or drop the BLE idea. 

- I'm using this PID library - https://github.com/br3ttb/Arduino-PID-Library
Quote:
> 2. Where, physically did you place the O2 sensor?
         - I'm using the NTK production-grade O2 sensor because it is much more tolerant of 100LL than the Bosch wideband O2 sensors. There's a good thread on VAF about this. 

- My IO-360 has a 4-into-2 crossover exhaust. You should try to pick the exhaust pipe connected to your first-to-peak cylinder if you have that data from EGT monitoring. Mine is placed in the pilot-side exhaust pipe. I placed the sensor according to the directions in the Ballenger manual. https://www.bmotorsports.com/download/products/o2/AFR500v2_Manual.pdf
          - There is an article in Kitplanes magazine from March 2019 that describes an installation similar to mine. 
I borrowed the idea for the linear actuator on the mixture knob from this product: http://flightenhancements.com/auto-lean.html   It holds a target EGT value, where my version holds a target AFR value. 
---
David Carter

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 3:46 PM Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

Quote:

David,
Super cool project!  I have questions:
1. What is the PID controller running on? (Arduino, uController,???)
2. Where, physically did you place the O2 sensor?

Thx,

Jeff
Camarillo CA

On Thursday, December 17, 2020, 11:29:56 AM PST, David Carter <david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)> wrote:

I'm using an Arduino to read the analog 0-5v output from an automotive AFR monitor (Ballenger AFR500v2) as input to a PID controller, with the output controlling a linear actuator (fancy name for servo) that pushes or pulls the mixture knob in my RV7A. I also have a Raspberry Pi-based Stratux in the plane, and I've never encountered EMI issues. I'd like to add control of my heater damper because I'm always fiddling with it - always too hot or too cold. 

I'm using these actuators - https://www.actuonix.com/RC-linear-servos-s/1853.htm
---
David Carter

Quote:
Thanks Bob,

I am considering using RC servos to regulate heating airflow from a fan heat exchanger (liquid cooled) to enable me to electrically control 3 tubes —front seat, rear seats and defrost. The servos need pulse modulated... a good application for  the Arduino. The servos and Arduino need power at around 5V thus the necessity for regulator.
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Quote:
Greetings all,

over $750/hr!
Quote:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: