Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contactor Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Lumley

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Contactor Questions Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a schematic for my RV-10 based on the Z-101 architecture and have come up with a couple questions about contactors...

First, about the starter contactor. The Z-101 shows a single conductor connecting the contactor to the starter with a jumper at the starter. I found another discussion from 2015 with an alternative arrangement (attached) for permanent magnet starters. I'm planning to use a B&C starter. Should I be using the extra wire & diode?

Second, I'm adding an external power outlet per Z-31A. I've made sense of most of this drawing but I'm unsure why there is no diode shown across the coil in the Z-31A diagram? The B&C continuous contactor includes an external diode already. Should it be removed?

Thanks for taking the time to read my perhaps basic questions!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

facdd36_721.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.33 KB
 Viewed:  2445 Time(s)

facdd36_721.jpg

Z101.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.57 KB
 Viewed:  2445 Time(s)

Z101.png

user9253

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Contactor Questions Reply with quote

Z-31A does not require a diode because the over-voltage module provides arc suppression.
No, do not remove the B&C installed diode. It does not hurt anything.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Contactor Questions Reply with quote

At 02:10 PM 5/13/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "A Lumley" <andrew.lumley(at)sympatico.ca>

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a schematic for my RV-10 based on the Z-101 architecture and have come up with a couple questions about contactors...

First, about the starter contactor. The Z-101 shows a single conductor connecting the contactor to the starter with a jumper at the starter. I found another discussion from 2015 with an alternative arrangement (attached) for permanent magnet starters. I'm planning to use a B&C starter. Should I be using the extra wire & diode?

By 'extra wire' are you talking about the jumper from
contactor "I" terminal to the starter's "S"
terminal? Yes, wire as shown and including
the diode is a good thing. The starter contactor
from B*C will include a built in diode on its
coil.

Quote:
Second, I'm adding an external power outlet per Z-31A. I've made sense of most of this drawing but I'm unsure why there is no diode shown across the coil in the Z-31A diagram? The B&C continuous contactor includes an external diode already. Should it be removed?

Wouldn't hurt but not necessary assuming you
can get a B*C crowbar ov module. Are those
available? I though those were out of production.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to read my perhaps basic questions!

That's what this organization is here for
my friend . . . folks that already know everything
don't need us!

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

A Lumley

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Contactor Questions Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the quick feedback. I'll include the jumper from the contactor "I" terminal to the starter with the extra diode.

You are correct that B&C no longer sells the crowbar module so I was going to build my own from your crowbar schematics.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: