Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust springs source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

My fine classic was missing one of its exhaust springs, and ive been having a hard time sourcing (been using regular springs as a stop gap).

Any suggestions?

Thx!

Pic is what i’m looking for.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  885.92 KB
 Viewed:  2544 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help with replacement springs but a couple snapped on my CKT exhaust. After replacing them, I copied what someone else does to cut down high frequency vibration. First put safety locking wire through the spring centre as usual and secure it around the spring attachment hooks, to prevent broken springs falling onto Scotland and perhaps choking cows.

Wrap another piece of locking wire right around the exhaust header tube to include and bisect both springs on either side, so that tightening the wire causes both springs to bow in slightly towards the exhaust tube. Then smear an approx 1/4 inch wide streak of high temperature silicone along the length of the spring, on the side furthest away from the exhaust tube.

So far this plan is working for me, with no broken springs in over a year.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SPURPURA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Try McMaster Carr, they are great for any hardware.

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops. The Classic and XS exhaust is prone to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Thx Bud etal,

Nuther question: I’m repairing my second cracked clean off exhaust flange. Sad. Im surprised the heavy classic muffler is not suspended from the engine-side frame. Anyone else see these failures?

Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

[quote] On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops. The Classic and XS exhaust is prone to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

I have always been perplexed by the need for springs on the original Europa Classic exhaust system. Due to the design the exhaust can neither move forward or aft nor up or down. Number one and two cylinder pipes counteract the up and down, and the number three and four cylinder pipes counteract the forward and aft.I have had no problems with my system for the last 20 years and 900hrs. The springs remain in place but to me, they are useless.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 19/11/2021, at 6:42 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Thx Bud etal,
Nuther question: I’m repairing my second cracked clean off exhaust flange. Sad. Im surprised the heavy classic muffler is not suspended from the engine-side frame. Anyone else see these failures?
Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops. The Classic and XS exhaust is prone to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure.

Buy quality stainless springs that will pull about 1/2", put a 1/4" bead of high temp silicone to dampen vibration, run a .040 safety wire loop just snug to retain pieces and prevent components from failing to seal and also to prevent damage and dropped objects.

See my troubleshooting guide.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Get Outlook for Android
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 3:49:28 PM
To: europa-list <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Exhaust springs source?

My fine classic was missing one of its exhaust springs, and ive been having a hard time sourcing (been using regular springs as a stop gap).

Any suggestions?

Thx!

<image0.jpeg>

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
My sentiments as well.
912S? Very Encouraging data, but makes me wonder why mine have cracked. Engine is running smoothly, and prop dynamically balanced.
Cheers!
PeteZ
(In Canuckstan)

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2021, at 1:04 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

I have always been perplexed by the need for springs on the original Europa Classic exhaust system. Due to the design the exhaust can neither move forward or aft nor up or down. Number one and two cylinder pipes counteract the up and down, and the number three and four cylinder pipes counteract the forward and aft.I have had no problems with my system for the last 20 years and 900hrs. The springs remain in place but to me, they are useless.
Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Thx Bud etal,
Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

Quote:

Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops. The Classic and XS exhaust is prone to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure.

Buy quality stainless springs that will pull about 1/2", put a 1/4" bead of high temp silicone to dampen vibration, run a .040 safety wire loop just snug to retain pieces and prevent components from failing to seal and also to prevent damage and dropped objects.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Get Outlook for Android
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>

Any suggestions?

Thx!

<image0.jpeg>

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Pete,,Yes 912S. Check engine mounts for wear and exhaust engine lugs correct torque?
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 19/11/2021, at 7:33 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Hi Tim,
My sentiments as well.
912S? Very Encouraging data, but makes me wonder why mine have cracked. Engine is running smoothly, and prop dynamically balanced.
Cheers!
PeteZ
(In Canuckstan)

Quote:

Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Thx Bud etal,
Nuther question:  I’m repairing my second cracked clean off exhaust flange. Sad. Im surprised the heavy classic muffler is not suspended from the engine-side frame. Anyone else see these failures?
Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

Quote:

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Get Outlook for Android

Any suggestions?

Thx!

<image0.jpeg>

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Mounts were/are good.
I will check the torque tho.  I guess the inference is that there should be movement possible against the head port? I find that idea to be concerning…..with the aluminum seat expected to be quickly wearing.
Thx again!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2021, at 1:46 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Pete,,Yes 912S. Check engine mounts for wear and exhaust engine lugs correct torque?
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz 
021 0640221
Quote:
On 19/11/2021, at 7:33 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Hi Tim,
My sentiments as well.
912S?  Very Encouraging data, but makes me wonder why mine have cracked. Engine is running smoothly, and prop dynamically balanced.
Cheers!
PeteZ
(In Canuckstan)

Quote:

Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Thx Bud etal,
Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

Quote:

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Get Outlook for Android

Any suggestions?

Thx!

<image0.jpeg>

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

When I still had the Classic FWFWD installation with original exhaust, I also experienced 2 x cracked clean off exhaust flanges. So I suspended the silencer by means of 2 jubilee clips, one around each of #3 and #4 exhaust tubes ( I think? ), close to where they enter the muffler box. Tucked under the clips were short strips of steel bent into suitable hooks with one hole for a bolt in their upper ends, which "peeped over" the top of the muffler and were bent about 45 degrees towards the crankcase.

I fashioned two small thick aluminium plates with 2 holes in each; one hole large enough for the bottom engine mount bolt which screws into the crankcase and another small hole for a bolt; same size as the bolt holes in the hooks. On each side of the engine I used longish straps of steel ( 1/2 " wide, same as used for the hooks ), with a hole in each end of the straps.

So there you have it! On each side of the engine are 4 components weighing almost nothing. Aluminium plate fastened by the lower engine bolt, narrow steel strap with bolt holes at each end, hook with hole in one end to attach to steel strap and jubilee clip. Plus of course 2 bolts with stiff-nuts.

I continued to fly my Classic for another 3 or 4 years, with no further broken flanges.

[quote="peterz(at)zutrasoft.com"]Thx Bud etal,

Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly> wrote:

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Exhaust springs source? Reply with quote

Pete,
I agree, the pipe attachment to the head should not move or leak exhaust.
I hang the exhaust loose on the studs with the bolts finger snug.
I then check the movement and clearance of the exhaust. On a Classic, the unit is pretty solid.  The slip joints are quite tight.  I have found on 96EG the pipes were very slightly out of alignment and we had to pull it down and to get a good exhaust to head fit.  The front exhaust was rather stiff as if the pipes were welded a little out of alignment.  We tweaked the angles a bit and it was acceptable but we still had to lap the pipe to head joint.

It is true that the Classic Exhaust is heavy and unsupported by anything but the heads.  This is quite disturbing for many of us that most mufflers just hang on the downpipes.
If I do build a support, I do not disturb the case bolts as there is a 50/50 chance for an oil leak.  (For me a 50/50 chance is 100% chance of getting it wrong.)
I use the engine frame attach bolts personally and a simple diagonal brace as well as the two vertical ones are my go to support attach points.  You have to find something..
Generally, a light 1/8 inch aluminum strap or 1/16 inch steel is more than sufficient.  The attachment to the actual muffler will be most fun.  I have my welder weld on an attach point.
The vertical hang on the muffler pipes (properly torqued and secure) is sufficient normally as a muffler support.  The back of the muffler on a Classic is quite heavy, and the muffler can develop some motion side to side and that will not be good as it will cause eventual cracking.
Any welded bungs for EGT or holes can cause a crack.  These bungs/ holes are critical inspection points.

I have any exhaust component welded by my certified welder, as he builds racing components for a living.  Exhaust systems welded around the pipe tend to crack unless heat treated or a strengthening strap is added to improve the mass in an area.  The stainless weld rod is also important so I tend to leave it for the pros.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:51 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust springs source?

Mounts were/are good.

I will check the torque tho.  I guess the inference is that there should be movement possible against the head port?  I find that idea to be concerning…..with the aluminum seat expected to be quickly wearing.

Thx again!

PeteZ

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
Quote:

On Nov 18, 2021, at 1:46 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Pete,,
Yes 912S. Check engine mounts for wear and exhaust engine lugs correct torque?

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street, 

Fendalton, 

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

021 0640221

Quote:

On 19/11/2021, at 7:33 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Hi Tim,

My sentiments as well.

912S?  Very Encouraging data, but makes me wonder why mine have cracked. Engine is running smoothly, and prop dynamically balanced.

Cheers!

PeteZ

(In Canuckstan)

Quote:

On Nov 18, 2021, at 1:04 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
I have always been perplexed by the need for springs on the original Europa Classic exhaust system. Due to the design the exhaust can neither move forward or aft nor up or down. Number one and two cylinder pipes counteract the up and down, and the number three and four cylinder pipes counteract the forward and aft.
I have had no problems with my system for the last 20 years and 900hrs. The springs remain in place but to me, they are useless.

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street, 

Fendalton, 

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

021 0640221

Quote:

On 19/11/2021, at 6:42 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Thx Bud etal,

Nuther question:  I’m repairing my second cracked clean off exhaust flange. Sad. Im surprised the heavy classic muffler is not suspended from the engine-side frame. Anyone else see these failures?

Cheers and thx!

PeteZ

Quote:

On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops.  The Classic and XS exhaust is prone to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Get Outlook for Android

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)>
To: europa-list <europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust springs source?

Any suggestions?

Thx!

<image0.jpeg>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: