Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trim setting question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Curious:  My CG is a reasonable 60.86" yet I find that my trim is generally set quite far down in most phases of flight (and never nose up trim).
Is this what other folks are seeing?
Cheers and thx,
PeteZ
C-GNPZ classic 912S

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Hi Pete,I have exactly the same issue but can live with it. Altering it is a real gymnastic exercise with space available and spanners!
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 26/12/2021, at 8:49 AM, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Curious: My CG is a reasonable 60.86" yet I find that my trim is generally set quite far down in most phases of flight (and never nose up trim).
Cheers and thx,
PeteZ
C-GNPZ classic 912S

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Thx Tim, its good to know im not alone Smile
That said, the tab is neutral, with the stab in line with the fuse moulding, with the indicator also at neutral - so it appears the stab is not lined up with the fuse moulding in flight. I find that odd….
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 25, 2021, at 4:21 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Hi Pete,I have exactly the same issue but can live with it. Altering it is a real gymnastic exercise with space available and spanners!
Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street, 
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Curious: My CG is a reasonable 60.86" yet I find that my trim is generally set quite far down in most phases of flight (and never nose up trim).
Cheers and thx,
PeteZ
C-GNPZ classic 912S

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Yes agree. I only have an issue under a certain loading combination, not common. But you are correct. I only use forward trim, never trimming back behind zero mark.

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 26/12/2021, at 10:34 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

That said, the tab is neutral, with the stab in line with the fuse moulding, with the indicator also at neutral - so it appears the stab is not lined up with the fuse moulding in flight. I find that odd….
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 25, 2021, at 4:21 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Cheers and thx,
PeteZ
C-GNPZ classic 912S

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

As Tim said.
Most do not trim in slow flight or stalls to notice the up trim.  From takeoff to cruise it is all down trim.

Your CG is a bit farther aft so more down trim is needed in some cases as the incidence of the wing is roughly 2.5 degrees nose down trim is needed as speed increases…

Happy Holidays,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2021 4:27 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trim setting question

PeteZ

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
Quote:

On Dec 25, 2021, at 4:21 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Hi Pete,
I have exactly the same issue but can live with it. Altering it is a real gymnastic exercise with space available and spanners!

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street, 

Fendalton, 

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

021 0640221

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
Quote:

On 26/12/2021, at 8:49 AM, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Curious:  My CG is a reasonable 60.86" yet I find that my trim is generally set quite far down in most phases of flight (and never nose up trim).

Cheers and thx,

PeteZ

C-GNPZ classic 912S

Pete jeffers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Just remember that during build you are allowed a tolerance of round about 1 degree in the tail plane incidence. This is enough to change your trim settings for any particular situation. It will also explain differences between various aeroplanes.Pete J
On Sun, 26 Dec 2021, 13:53 Bud Yerly, <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Get Outlook for Android

From: Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)>
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2021, 7:35 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Trim setting question

As Tim said.
Most do not trim in slow flight or stalls to notice the up trim.  From takeoff to cruise it is all down trim.

Your CG is a bit farther aft so more down trim is needed in some cases as the incidence of the wing is roughly 2.5 degrees nose down trim is needed as speed increases…

Happy Holidays,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Pete
Subject: Re: Trim setting question

PeteZ

Quote:

On Dec 25, 2021, at 4:21 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Hi Pete,
I have exactly the same issue but can live with it. Altering it is a real gymnastic exercise with space available and spanners!

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street, 

Fendalton, 

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz) 

021 0640221

Quote:

On 26/12/2021, at 8:49 AM, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Cheers and thx,

PeteZ

C-GNPZ classic 912S

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Interesting this has come up. Our trim has always been near the bottom of the indicator in cruise. I assumed it was because we usually traveled with Jethro, a 50 pound dog in the rear. But after Jethro died, we adopted Finn who is only 20 pounds. The trim still is near the bottom which confirms the operation is correct.

I verified the tailplane trim tab relationship like Pete Z and all is well. The change in CG between 50# and 20# isn't much so it all makes sense.

I haven't verified, but I understand that the trim motor runs further than the indicator, ie you have more down trim available after the indicator is at the bottom.

I use the trim indicator a lot. The "0" or middle position trims the plane for about 65 kts with gear extended. That is the takeoff configuration. During landing I set the trim to one or two lines above the "0" position which results in about 55 -60 kts with gear extended. With the speed set, I control rate of descent with power. It works nicely.

Jim & Heather

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Sounds familar, tho with full power and your trim setting, I've got alot of push required on climbout- not good (to me). I take off with the indicator pretty well half way down the down side for a more balanced stick, which results in a forward trimmed stick on engine failure, which i prefer.

Cheers!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, at 4:11 PM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

Interesting this has come up. Our trim has always been near the bottom of the indicator in cruise. I assumed it was because we usually traveled with Jethro, a 50 pound dog in the rear. But after Jethro died, we adopted Finn who is only 20 pounds. The trim still is near the bottom which confirms the operation is correct.

I verified the tailplane trim tab relationship like Pete Z and all is well. The change in CG between 50# and 20# isn't much so it all makes sense.

I haven't verified, but I understand that the trim motor runs further than the indicator, ie you have more down trim available after the indicator is at the bottom.

I use the trim indicator a lot. The "0" or middle position trims the plane for about 65 kts with gear extended. That is the takeoff configuration. During landing I set the trim to one or two lines above the "0" position which results in about 55 -60 kts with gear extended. With the speed set, I control rate of descent with power. It works nicely.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=505397#505397

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Pete,Agree, I set three units down for take-off.
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 28/12/2021, at 11:08 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>

Sounds familar, tho with full power and your trim setting, I've got alot of push required on climbout- not good (to me). I take off with the indicator pretty well half way down the down side for a more balanced stick, which results in a forward trimmed stick on engine failure, which i prefer.

Cheers!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, at 4:11 PM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <butcher43(at)att.net>

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=505397#505397

_-===================================================bsp; - The Europa-List Email Forum -
= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
==============================================

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Pete,

To answer your question ....... yes.

The thing that intrigues me is not the fact that nose down trim is needed because that is quite normal but the fact that it needs so much nose down trim.

A few years ago I asked the question on this list ........ why is the trim/antiservo tab always displaced so far upwards in cruise (nose down)? I asked this because I observed it in many photos of Europas taken in flight on an angle from which the trim tab could be observed.

It must cause considerable drag I would think!

Cheers
Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 27 Dec 2021, at 3:48 am, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Cheers and thx,
PeteZ
C-GNPZ classic 912S

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Hello Pete,

I’m at a loss to understand how the tailplane incidence can be set with a fully flying tailplane. Is there an explanation please?
Best regards
Your antipodean cousin
Kingsley

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 27 Dec 2021, at 9:10 pm, Peter Jeffers <pjeffers02(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Just remember that during build you are allowed a tolerance of round about 1 degree in the tail plane incidence. This is enough to change your trim settings for any particular situation. It will also explain differences between various aeroplanes.Pete J
On Sun, 26 Dec 2021, 13:53 Bud Yerly, <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Get Outlook for Android

As Tim said.
Most do not trim in slow flight or stalls to notice the up trim. From takeoff to cruise it is all down trim.

Happy Holidays,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Pete

PeteZ

Quote:

Hi Pete,

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street,

Fendalton,

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

021 0640221

Quote:

Cheers and thx,

PeteZ

C-GNPZ classic 912S

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Indeed I remember that question back in the day! Smile

Now i understand why Wink

Thx!
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au> wrote:

Pete,

To answer your question ....... yes.

The thing that intrigues me is not the fact that nose down trim is needed because that is quite normal but the fact that it needs so much nose down trim.

A few years ago I asked the question on this list ........ why is the trim/antiservo tab always displaced so far upwards in cruise (nose down)? I asked this because I observed it in many photos of Europas taken in flight on an angle from which the trim tab could be observed.

It must cause considerable drag I would think!

Cheers
Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

> On 27 Dec 2021, at 3:48 am, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> 
> Curious: My CG is a reasonable 60.86" yet I find that my trim is generally set quite far down in most phases of flight (and never nose up trim).
>
> Is this what other folks are seeing?
>
> Cheers and thx,
> PeteZ
> C-GNPZ classic 912S

rogersheridan(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Hi Kingsley,
I am not an aerodynamicist, so this is my uninformed explanation why the trim tab deflection is desirable:

1. Nose down trim is commanding the tailplane to provide lift, this slightly reduces required wing lift along with wing induced drag, so it’s a good thing.

2. If you move the CG forward and tailplane lift required is reduced, the wing induced drag (to maintain level flight) will consequently increase - not desirable.

3. To produce the desired tailplane lift without tab deflection would require an internal trim spring or reduced counterweight and now you’re the test pilot!

Interestingly some Jodel models have all flying tails that are only partially mass balanced, so reducing that lump of steel might work, but I won’t be trying it.

Cheers,

Roger
Quote:
On 28 Dec 2021, at 01:52, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au (kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au)> wrote:
Hello Pete,
I’m at a loss to understand how the tailplane incidence can be set with a fully flying tailplane. Is there an explanation please?

Best regards
Your antipodean cousin
KingsleySent from my iPhone
Quote:
On 27 Dec 2021, at 9:10 pm, Peter Jeffers <pjeffers02(at)gmail.com (pjeffers02(at)gmail.com)> wrote:Just remember that during build you are allowed a tolerance of round about 1 degree in the tail plane incidence. This is enough to change your trim settings for any particular situation. It will also explain differences between various aeroplanes.Pete J

Quote:

Get Outlook for Android

From: Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2021, 7:35 PM To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) Subject: RE: Trim setting question

As Tim said.
Most do not trim in slow flight or stalls to notice the up trim. From takeoff to cruise it is all down trim.

Happy Holidays,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Pete Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2021 4:27 PM To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) Subject: Re: Trim setting question

PeteZ

Quote:

Hi Pete,

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street,

Fendalton,

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

021 0640221

Quote:

Cheers and thx,

PeteZ

C-GNPZ classic 912S

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Hi Kingsley,
You are correct, I guess it can’t Smile. I was just referring to the fuse moulding (which fairs into the tailplane) appears to me to be at a slightly incorrect angle (for cruise)?
Cheers,
PeteZ

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, at 8:59 PM, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au> wrote:

Hello Pete,

Best regards
Your antipodean cousin
Kingsley

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 27 Dec 2021, at 9:10 pm, Peter Jeffers <pjeffers02(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Get Outlook for Android

As Tim said.

Happy Holidays,
Bud Yerly

PeteZ

Quote:

Hi Pete,

Cheers,

Tim
Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward

12 Waiwetu Street,

Fendalton,

Christchurch, 8052

New Zealand.

021 0640221

Quote:

Cheers and thx,

PeteZ

C-GNPZ classic 912S

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Just to be included in the bunch that confirmed the trim down situation. I always wondered about it but my trim is mostly in two positions: almost full down indication in cruise or right in the center for landing. This airplane is interesting. Is the only one I fly where I turn final and just move the trim to the center in the indicator. That places it at the exact right point for a perfect landing. I don’t bother with continuous adjustments. It’s fun.

Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trim setting question Reply with quote

Pete,
I have my Europa in Kenya, Classic monowheel, my base strip is at 6000’ a.s.l, usually 25-30C, so hot and high, and I have a Rotax 912UL and fixed pitch warp drive. So my conditions are probably different from most. I trim the other way to the way most have discussed here, ie on takeoff I trim nose up – this actually has the bar in the indicator down below the centre, that’s the way I have it configured. On takeoff this trim arrangement pins the tailwheel down, and I keep it that way till 40knots, the minimum required to have tail-up rudder authority. Then, at 40,knots, it requires a gentle but positive push forward to raise the tail. With about 50knots indicated just ease back on the stick, she comes off in ground effect, then forward push to get the speed up. Then with positive climb out at 70 knots trim forward, ie nose down to maintain this and away you go. On landing I have the trim more nose down, so that the flare requires positive back pressure. My own particular way of flying the monowheel, but maybe this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: