Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch Schemes for Reliability
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1921R

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch Schemes for Reliability Reply with quote

1rv4 wrote:
Any recommendations for p/n that would be a suitable diode to use for isolating ECU's, or ignition coils?…

Thank you
Kit

RV-6A

I used DSS2X61-0045A on a 401K heat sink on the hot side of the firewall. I started with Z101B as a template but changed to MZ-30L on the engine bus when the Monkworkz PM generator came out. I placard the Engine / Essential bus as 30A max.

BTW I paralleled the two diodes in the package just because they are there but this does not increase the current capability versus using a single diode.

My calculations indicate this diode is good for 20A on an Aavid 568303B heatsink on the next bulkhead forward of the instrument panel.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

bobmeyers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Switch Schemes for Reliability Reply with quote

BoB, Quoting from your post...

"I'm increasingly of the opinion that Z-101 should be the ONLY z-figure in any 'upgrade' to the connection"

While I like the concepts in Z-101 I'm not sold on this being the only idea. There has been a number of posts about incorporating a back up battery in its architecture which seems counter productive.

While not arguing against Z-101, instead I'm going to argue for Z-14 and possible additions to it.

Z-14 has been around for a long time and you have a warning in the connections that it is probably not relavent to 99% of OBAM aircraft.

However, it was crafted at a time when, except for the rado stack, there were very few electically driven components in the panel. An additional battery also carried a large weight penalty. Also few electrically dependent engines were being installed.

These things are no longer true. Most new OBAM aircraft are being built with at least some flavor of EFIS in the panel as well as supporting any number of supporting devices for ADSB, iPads etc.

Additionally many non electrically dependent engines are being retrofitted with an electronic magneto replacement, and many new engine installs are electically dependant from the start.

New battery technology is beginning to repalce the heavier lead based batteries. Two lithium batteries easily weigh less than one older style battery.

These developments argue for a fresh look at Z-14. I looked to Z-14 for my latest aircraft, completed in 2017, before Z-101 was introduced. So I saw many advantages to Z-14 in comparison to the other Z figures at that time.

First, the Garmin equipment I installed mostly had Two power inputs with diode isolation meaning power from either bus would feed the component. This in itself removes the need for brown out prevention in my aircraft as I don't automatically connect both buses when running the starter.

Operationally it is no more complex than Z-101 if an alternator fails. I recycle the alternator and if the alternator does not come back on line I simply cross connect the buses. In my case I have the B&C 40 amp alternator and after derating it to 30 amps in cruise, it still supplies power to all equipment at less than 80% of 30 amps.

If you want to argue switch or operational complexity. Z-101 is now as operational complex as Z-14 with almost as many components.

I do not ignore your admonition to not "FIDDLE WITH STUFF ON THE PANEL" in an emergency. Z-14 requires only the same management as Z-101 and in my case, no load shedding concerns.

In my panel I use a couple of bridge rectifiers to provide power from two buses to a device that only has one power input. All switched devices take power from one source so not all devices need two sources.

Z-14 could have an engine bus powered from both buses through a bridge rectifier or some other setup.

If you want to set up Z-101 as a plug and play design I would suggest variations like this.

Z-101 Single battery and alternator

Z-101 A Single battery and dual alternator

Z-101 B Single battery and dual alternator with an engine bus (current Z-101)

Z-101 C Dual battery and dual alternator

Z-101 D Dual battery and dual alternator with an engine bus

Start with Z-101 and add an option.

Bob, thanks for developing and continuing to develop these wonderful Z drawings.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: