Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintenance, again, again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild.blue(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Maintenance, again, again Reply with quote

Cats, indeed...

I'll say it again, again: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Don't try to fake it. We don't need rules or attorneys to know that good judgment is a prerequisite for flying and maintaining airplanes.

We, including the FAA, all know that owners do lots of work on their airplanes, experimental and type certificated. Some do good work, some don't. We all know that finding a good mechanic is difficult, finding one who is knowledgeable about CJ's/Yaks is more difficult.  Most are expensive (they have to eat, too), though probably cheaper than the guys who change the oil in your Toyota or Chevy. The reason for the reams of written materials required for type certificated a/c is to provide the info people need in order to properly maintain the a/c. The most important thing you learn in A&P school is to read the manuals, bad as many are, and do what they say--don't try to make it up yourself. Even so, type certificated airplanes, including airliners, crash because of maintenance problems and people get killed.  We don't have much of that stuff for our Yaks/CJ's, so good judgment is even more necessary than with type certificated aircraft. The FAA/NTSB usually can't be bothered unless there are dead bodies to count.

There has been lots of good information dispensed on this List and some not so good. Fortunately, we all know airplanes are dangerous, that governments require them to be designed and built to at least be reasonably reliable and tolerant of many faults and we're usually pretty careful not to do stupid things. Usually. We also know that lots of wonderful airplanes wear an Experimental sticker, and sometimes they're designed as well as built by amateurs. More power to them! But some are not so wonderful. I'd love to see someone come up with an electronic ignition system (like Klaus Sevier has) that would work on our engines. The FAA and industry concentrate their energies on jets and the airlines, where the money is--that's both good and bad for usE My complaint is that some on this List promote the notion that anyone can and therefore should jump in with both feet when they have no idea what they're doing. Even if it was legal it wouldn't be smart.

Fate is still the Hunter. A swollen or failed seal can still bite at an inopportune moment, a nickel part can still kill you. Don't believe everything you hear or read. If you don't have the training and experience to be able to exercise the required judgment, don't.  Flaming hair and cast iron gonads may not be adequate. Your widow and kids may learn your insurance company is tickled pink to decline payment because they have discovered a minor discrepancy...

Let's be careful out there.

Jerry Painter
Wild Blue Aviation
425-876-0865
wild.blue(at)verizon.net (wild.blue(at)verizon.net)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0cs5r/index.html

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Maintenance, again, again Reply with quote

Jerry,
You are on the money when you say,"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Don't try to fake it. We don't need rules or attorneys to know that good judgment is a prerequisite for flying and maintaining airplanes."
The but here is the permeation through out the list yesterday that an "experimental" aircraft owner could not work on their airplane without an A&P, which was not true.
My advice to all is if you do not know what you are doing, do NOT do it without HELP! Stupid is as Stupid DOES! Just because 43.1 b says you can does not mean it is smart to do especially if you have not got a clue or as inept as a blue balled monkey in a troop of horny orangutans!
One thing I always say to myself when I look at something on my plane with the idea of fixing it "better". Why did the Russians do it this way? I then go to the exploded drawings and the manual (hard copy and CD) to try to figure it out. If I can't figure it out I ask others smarter than I. If they can not give a plausible answer. I leave/fix it the way it was.
So Jerry you are dead on when you said what you said. No disagreement on that, just disagreed on the part about maintenance by anyone other than an A&P or certified repair station.
Doc

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Maintenance, again, again Reply with quote

Well put Doc, lets take something that a average owner MIGHT choose to do:
In an effort to help those that may chose to work on some part of the aircraft, could the A&P’s give guidance on the basic and needed information that should be logged in the logbook
Lets use this example – I want to change the main tires & tubes on my aircraft, I have bought the exact replacements, replaced the tires and tubes, and now it is time to properly note this in the logbook,
Date, Time – Part removed + Part put on ( serials? ) Name & Pilot #

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:02 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Yak-List: Maintenance, again, again

Jerry,

You are on the money when you say,"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Don't try to fake it. We don't need rules or attorneys to know that good judgment is a prerequisite for flying and maintaining airplanes."

The but here is the permeation through out the list yesterday that an "experimental" aircraft owner could not work on their airplane without an A&P, which was not true.

My advice to all is if you do not know what you are doing, do NOT do it without HELP! Stupid is as Stupid DOES! Just because 43.1 b says you can does not mean it is smart to do especially if you have not got a clue or as inept as a blue balled monkey in a troop of horny orangutans!

One thing I always say to myself when I look at something on my plane with the idea of fixing it "better". Why did the Russians do it this way? I then go to the exploded drawings and the manual (hard copy and CD) to try to figure it out. If I can't figure it out I ask others smarter than I. If they can not give a plausible answer. I leave/fix it the way it was.

So Jerry you are dead on when you said what you said. No disagreement on that, just disagreed on the part about maintenance by anyone other than an A&P or certified repair station.

Doc

Quote:

ggg6(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Maintenance, again, again Reply with quote

Sounds like you should have the guy who changes the oil on your car to maintain you airplane.. Gary
The Y ======

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: