Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thughes0202(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

I am in the final stages of installing a 912ULS in a Kitfox IV and I am having a problem with lack of clearance between the top cowl piece and the top oil line (the OUT line from the oil tank).

Actually, clearance isn't the right word here -- my oil line is actually lightly touching the underside of the top cowl piece. I'm using the Skystar-modified elbow fitting (thanks to John McBean) but that still isn't providing enough clearance. Although the fitting itself fits under the cowl, once the oil hose is attached and clamped all clearance between the oil hose and cowl is gone.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

I see several solutions, but so far I don't like any of them (or can't make them work). One, try to find a "lower profile" fitting for the OUT oil line. I've been looking, but so far no joy.

Two, try to bend the existing elbow beyond 90 degrees, which might get the oil hose low enough to clear the cowl.

Three, try to lower the oil tank. At best, I think I could lower it maybe a 1/4 of an inch, which I don't think would be enough.

Four, cut a hole in the top cowl and fabricate a little "power bulge" to provide adequate oil line clearance. This seems to be the most drastic approach, particularly given my meager fiberglass-working skills, but it also gives the most clearance.

Any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Terry Hughes

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry,

have you permanently mounted the cowl and windshield, If so, the first thing
I would try is to drop the tank and then try to bend the exit line if
necessary or maybe find a local that could cut and reweld the SS tube. If
all else fails drop a note and I have a neat trick for adding a contour to
fiberglass.

Lowell

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

barry(at)pgtc.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry, I also have a Model IV with the 912 ULS engine. I really don't know if the oil line is in contact with the cowling but I will check it. Anyway, if it is in contact it has been that way for 5 years and over 400 hours without a problem or any indication of wear. I will let you know after I check it.

Barry West
[quote] ---

dan(at)azshowersolutions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

This may sound like a drastic measure, however a few guys have done this in the Phoenix area and it works great... make the oil tank shorter.
Dan B
KF-IV

Barry West <barry(at)pgtc.com> wrote:
[quote] Terry, I also have a Model IV with the 912 ULS engine. I really don't know if the oil line is in contact with the cowling but I will check it. Anyway, if it is in contact it has been that way for 5 years and over 400 hours without a problem or any indication of wear. I will let you know after I check it.

Barry West
[quote] ---

Bill Willyard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

I relocated the drain connection on my tank towards the firewall to incorporate a quick drain (before they were available for Rotax). This allowed me to lower the tank enough that I can use the cap supplied by Rotax rather than the SkyStar version. Makes oil changes much easier as a result.

Bill W.
Classic IV 912ul

Quote:
Quote:
I am in the final stages of installing a 912ULS in a Kitfox IV and I am having a problem with lack of clearance between the top cowl piece and the top oil line (the OUT line from the oil tank).

[quote][b]

jdmcbean(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry,
  Just an FYI.. When the engine is ordered the tank is modified and shortened in house. Sorry I didn’t mention that previously… thought maybe the tank was already modified.
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Fly Safe !!
John & Debra McBean
www.kitfoxaircraft.com www.sportplanellc.com
"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of Terry Hughes
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:57 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>

Actually, clearance isn't the right word here -- my oil line is actually lightly touching the underside of the top cowl piece. I'm using the Skystar-modified elbow fitting (thanks to John McBean) but that still isn't providing enough clearance. Although the fitting itself fits under the cowl, once the oil hose is attached and clamped all clearance between the oil hose and cowl is gone.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

I see several solutions, but so far I don't like any of them (or can't make them work). One, try to find a "lower profile" fitting for the OUT oil line. I've been looking, but so far no joy.

Two, try to bend the existing elbow beyond 90 degrees, which might get the oil hose low enough to clear the cowl.

Three, try to lower the oil tank. At best, I think I could lower it maybe a 1/4 of an inch, which I don't think would be enough.

Four, cut a hole in the top cowl and fabricate a little "power bulge" to provide adequate oil line clearance. This seems to be the most drastic approach, particularly given my meager fiberglass-working skills, but it also gives the most clearance.

Any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Terry Hughes
[quote]<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]> - The Kitfox-List Email Forum - -->   - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - -->   - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI - -->   - List Contribution Web Site - Thank you for your generous support!     -Matt Dralle, List Admin. --> <![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>[b]

dafox(at)ckt.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry,

After transistioning from the 582 to the 912, I also had the same problem with oil tank clearence. First,
Skystar sent me the modified elbo fiting, that helped a lot, but not enough, I got the lowest oil cap I could find,
from Napa, I lowered the Oil tank as low as possible, I used a paint stir stick between the engine and the oil
tank to gauge the clearence, as low as I dared to go without touching, and tighten the clamps around the oil Tank
as tight as I possibly could so there would be no chance for slippage. There still was a slight touch to the cowling
from one edge of the oil cap. I had some asbestous from a long time ago and glued a piece with high temp silicone
where the cap touched. That was the best I could do. That was fifty hours ago, nothing has slipped, the cowling
still fits snug around the oil cap, ( with the sabestous coushion ). and I don'i worry about it anymore, however,
I still keep an eye on it.

David
[quote] ---

gjfpilot(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry,
I had the same problem as you with my oil tank. I
cut an inch out of the middle and had a welding shop
tig weld it together for $60. The stock fitting will
then work fine.
Grant Fluent
Classic IV 912ULS

--- jdmcbean <jdmcbean(at)cableone.net> wrote:

[quote] Terry,
Just an FYI.. When the engine is ordered
the tank is modified
and shortened in house. Sorry I didn’t mention that
previously… thought
maybe the tank was already modified.

Fly Safe !!
John & Debra McBean
www.kitfoxaircraft.com www.sportplanellc.com
<http://www.sportplanellc.com/>
"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

--

barry(at)pgtc.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

Terry, sorry I didn't remember this before but John McBean's email reminded me of it. I believe Skystar cut the oil tanks in two, removed about an inch of it's length and welded it back together. If you got your engine elsewhere this has probably not been done. I have been building a Pulsar from Skystar and the muffler would not fit because they failed to shorten it. I had to get it done myself.

Barry West
[quote] ---

thughes0202(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Kitfox IV and 912ULS installation Reply with quote

I'll give a collective "thanks all" here rather than reply separately....so, thanks for all the suggestions.

The cowl and windshield are permanently mounted already, so I'm stuck with what I've got. I'm sure I had more clearance as I prepared the cowl and windshield, but I guess things shifted around a bit during permanent installation.

Thanks for bringing up the issue with oil-tank shortening. I had forgotten about that. I think my tank was already shortened by SkyStar. Although I bought the engine elsewhere, I sent the tank and the water pump cover to SkyStar, at their request. I'm going to take another look at that at see if it can be shortened any more.

So far I've got about 1 hour on the engine (taxi-testing) and that has produced minor discoloration on the underside of the cowl. That's what made me worry that the situation wasn't good for the long term. However, I've heard some encouraging things here so I think my next step will be to lower the tank another 1/4", add a very very slight bend to the fitting, and then add an asbestos shield. Actually, the best news that I heard is that nobody has had to modify the cowl, even though others have very tight clearances also.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Terry

Barry West <barry(at)pgtc.com> wrote:
[quote] Terry, sorry I didn't remember this before but John McBean's email reminded me of it. I believe Skystar cut the oil tanks in two, removed about an inch of it's length and welded it back together. If you got your engine elsewhere this has probably not been done. I have been building a Pulsar from Skystar and the muffler would not fit because they failed to shorten it. I had to get it done myself.

Barry West
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: