Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

Dear Kolb Friends –

In the spirit of sharing one’s misfortunes for the benefit of others, I offer this story that happened to me earlier this summer. I experienced my first ground loop!

Following a normal warmup and taxi to the runway, I was ready to take the active and go. The wind was directly across the runway from the left, at approx 10 knots (45-degree droop angle on the windsock at our airport). Not unusual; I’ve done 12-to-15 knot crosswind takeoffs many times before in my Kolb.

Three seconds after giving it full power, I glanced back at the windsock. Horror! It was rigidly horizontal. In the next second, I felt the violent gust hit my Mark-III, which instantly pivoted 90 degrees to the left as we weathervaned into the wind. (Which I found out later was a 32-knot gust, as recorded at our airports DigiWx system.)

The instantaneous result was, due to the sudden turn, the left wheel came up and the right wingtip dragged on the ground – the classic ground loop. Whee!

Back at the hangar, and following VERY close inspection, the only damage that resulted was torn fabric on the aileron tip, at the aft/outboard corner. Hinge line is straight, trailing edge spar is straight, every member of the aileron structure is straight. No damage except for fabric. Gotta love the robust design of these Kolbs!

I’ve since repaired the fabric and have flown my Mark-III – no problems. I like to think I learned something worthwhile from the experience that’s worth passing on to you all. For this scenario, I should have waited 15 or 20 minutes before launching, as there were scattered rain clouds in the area; one, particularly close to the airport. The aberrant gust that got me was from one localized cell that was within 5 miles of the airport. Although clear skies beckoned in the other direction, I should have let that little rain cloud pass over the airport, rather than try to get out ahead of it.

And so, Pat L and Ohio Ralph (recently), and all you other Kolbers with similar past histories of battle damage (Muncho Lake comes to mind), it is with honor that I join your esteemed ranks. But like Hauck once said: “You can’t break ‘em if you don’t fly ‘em!”

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
Cedar Crest, New Mexico

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
biglar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

Yah, but you broke yours the easy way. Good on you, Dennis, it could have been a lot worse.     Lar.   Do not Archive.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

"Vamoose"
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Loop Reply with quote

Yes Dennis, you are one of the most highly esteemed out there. I am glad very little damage was done and you jumped back in the saddle again.

I do not like the "double edged" problem we have with these planes. If you add enough weight to keep them down along the ground, they never get the hankerin to get off the ground.

On mine, I am getting the IVO prop late this week, making a breather line like "Plaincrazzy" made, need to make a new gap seal out of Lexan. Then tie the tail, crank it up and see if anything comes off or vibrates loose. Also, I need to make a new sissy bar system. The old one most assuradly saved me considerable bucks and repair. I ain't leaven home again without one!

Probably two to three weeks before I get back up. Mornings and evenings are in the 50's and 60's here in Ohio. Hate to miss that cool air.

I know thsi is a tad away from the Kolb info, but you did use the John H. name and I felt we could all use a laugh. Look at picture below. And NO, IT AINT A KOLB! Sorry about hurtin feelins.

Ohio Ralph, cantankerous as all get out here in Ohio!

120624-DL1 (Medium).jpg
 Description:
Isn't that a Massy-Ferguson motor?
 Filesize:  80.67 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

120624-DL1 (Medium).jpg

a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

Ralph,
Did you crash three times? Got same msg three times.

bn

do not archive

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

| I know thsi is a tad away from the Kolb info, but you did use the
John H. name and I felt we could all use a laugh. |
| Ohio Ralph, cantankerous as all get out here in Ohio!

Ralph/Gang:

Gosh! I didn't know John Deere made an airplane that looks like a
Titan.

john h
mkIII (Strictly Kolb, with a tad of Hauck thrown in.)

PS: Just now got home, after dark, from dragging the airstrip for
mines. Darn cows have been working overtime. I hit one when I landed
yesterday on return from Ronnie Smith's. Thought I had not done much
damage, until I got out, and the bottom of the fuselage is covered
with cow crap...................

Titus, Alabama
jsflan(at)valornet.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

And, of course there's that ancient Horney wife to farmer husband advice
joke perhaps applicable to those who crash them...

jsf

Do not archive
---

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/23/2006 4:26:28 P.M. Central Standard Time, Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil writes:
Quote:

And so, Pat L and Ohio Ralph (recently), and all you other Kolbers with similar past histories of battle damage (Muncho Lake comes to mind), it is with honor that I join your esteemed ranks. But like Hauck once said: “You can’t break ‘em if you don’t fly ‘em!”
  Dennis,

Sorry to hear of you misfortune. Glad it wasn't worse.

Ed Diebel Firefly # 62 Do Not Archieve
[quote][b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

until I got out, and the bottom of the fuselage is covered with cow
crap...................>>

Hi,
thats the good part and being fresh is fairly easy to remove. Hit one on
take off and the darn stuff has dried like conctrete by the time you land.
Ask me how I know.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

--

Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

On Aug 24, 2006, at 7:12 AM, pat ladd wrote:

Quote:

Hey Pat,

Is that a question or a statement?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Ground Loop Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey Pat,

Is that a question or a statement???

What did I say?

Pat

do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: