Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynon or Grand Rapids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtamvakis(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

I dont mean to start a debate (even though it will) but i am at the point of wiring and i need to make a decision on an EFIS system. I am ready to buy next a couple of weeks.
So here it goes. Why should I buy a Dynon or a GRT dual screen I do want also a GPS and XM so the way I see it I can either get a GRT dual screen package with the internal GPS module and then buy also an XM option or get a Dynon dual screen with a Garmin 396 .The math looks much better for the Dynon at considerable savings so were does the extra comes for the GRTto justify the money?

Thanks
George
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List
paulf(at)ncsu.edu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

I just went through this and bought the Dynon, partly because the -10 fits in my existing panel.

For a 2 screen configuraition, the GRT is a well thought through integrated, highly redundant 2 screen product – almost like a big iron airplane setup. The Dynon is really one screen for EFIS, the other for engine with some simple redundancy. One advantage of the GRT is it has a faster processor, meaning more software upgradability. It also has more IFR features (HITS, horizontal situation display). You are basicly paying for more CPU, a GPS, and more SW.

If I wanted a serious (real serious) IFR capability, I would consider the GRT. However, having flown IFR a lot on steam gauges, any EFIS is a step up for me though. I’ll be happy with the Dynon and a Garmin!

Paul D. Franzon
443 Monteith GRC
ECE, Box 7911, Raleigh, NC 27695
MRC 223, 2410 Campus Shore Dr., Raleigh NC 27604
paulf(at)ncsu.edu (paulf(at)ncsu.edu) , www.ece.ncsu.edu/erl/faculty/paulf.html

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Tamvakis
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 4:26 PM
To: rvsoutheast-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids

I dont mean to start a debate (even though it will) but i am at the point of wiring and i need to make a decision on an EFIS system. I am ready to buy next a couple of weeks.

So here it goes. Why should I buy a Dynon or a GRT dual screen I do want also a GPS and XM so the way I see it I can either get a GRT dual screen package with the internal GPS module and then buy also an XM option or get a Dynon dual screen with a Garmin 396 .The math looks much better for the Dynon at considerable savings so were does the extra comes for the GRTto justify the money?

Thanks

George
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gtamvakis(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Paul I live in Greenville NC and building an RV7A.

George
RV 7A
Greenville NC
[quote] ---

vitez(at)carolina.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

Looks like you compared the more expensive GRT product (Horizon I) to Dynon, and those two can’t even begin to compare feature-wise. What I’d recommend is compare GRT Sport with Dynon..

Dual GRT Sport w/ moving map 6,200 + 1,500 for XM weather = $7,700 (includes engine monitor with all probes)

Dual Dynon setup (2,400 EFIS + 2,000 engine + 600 probes + 2,200 Garmin 396) = $7,200 (+ 100 for AirGizmo) = 7,300

Not that much of a difference. GRT Sport still has some features that Dynon doesn’t… but both have their strengths and weaknesses. You’ll be happy with whichever one you choose.

PS. Shop around and you may be able to beat those prices I listed above. Wink

HTH

Radomir
(GRT biased)

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Tamvakis

Thanks

George
[quote] [b]

Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

The AFS products are my current favorites. You might take a look
before you decide.

http://www.advanced-control-systems.com

--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
http://BowenAero.com
Quoting George Tamvakis <gtamvakis(at)earthlink.net>:

Quote:
I dont mean to start a debate (even though it will) but i am at the
point of wiring and i need to make a decision on an EFIS system. I
am ready to buy next a couple of weeks.
So here it goes. Why should I buy a Dynon or a GRT dual screen I do
want also a GPS and XM so the way I see it I can either get a GRT
dual screen package with the internal GPS module and then buy also
an XM option or get a Dynon dual screen with a Garmin 396 .The math
looks much better for the Dynon at considerable savings so were
does the extra comes for the GRTto justify the money?

Thanks
George

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
coop85(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

George,
I opted for both, I have the dual EFIS and also the Dynon D-10A for my backup. The comparison is a little apples to oranges in that the Dynon is only an EFIS (or EIFS and EIS), while the GRT is an EFIS, Moving Map, and EIS. You will not be able to legally fly IFR with the Dynon/396 combo so weigh that into your decision as well. The GRT folks also claim their EFIS w/GPS is VFR so really in either case you should have some other avionics (I opted for a 480 and SL-30 and am very pleased). If you do get other avionics, they tie in nicely with the GRT both on the EFIS (flight director, ILS needles, “Highway in The Sky” flight director) and moving map displays. The Dynon is a stand alone and therefore you can’t use it as a NAV display.

The Dynon is a nice little unit, however I have had some serious temperature issues with mine that I will be contacting Dynon about. If it gets a little warm, long before it provides a warning it goes stupid and slows down significantly and no longer provides valid attitude information. Not at all acceptable when flying IFR! I’ve made some changes in my cooling and also just upgraded to their new firmware (the literature made no comment about fixing temperature problems) so hopefully it will no longer be an issue. It does have a built in overtemp warning mode, however mine went stupid without triggering it.

Another consideration is you can upgrade the GRT for XM weather down the road if you want. You could also do that with a 496 if desired, but again you are going to be VFR only unless you are planning other IFR nav radios.

In my opinion, the GRT was definitely worth the extra cash in the redundant display, the engine monitoring, and the vast moving map with lots of built in information. When you consider the Dynon with EIS combo and a 396 the price is remarkably similar to a Dual GRT with EIS.

If you do opt for the Dynon, I would suggest the larger D-100 as I suspect it will be a little easier to read.

FWIW both systems remained reliable in aileron rolls Wink

Marcus
4.5 hours left in the test box!

Do not archive

Thanks

George
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

bill(at)repucci.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Dynon or Grand Rapids Reply with quote

George,

There is a lot to this choice. My biggest consideration was that my -9 will be a day/night VFR ship only so my selection of Dynon's IFR capability didn't come into play.

However, what did come into play was Dynon's reputation for enhancing the product and in talking to them, they are moving towards a HITS display. When, if ever, that will happen is unknown. However, with the latest free software upgrade (they are all free with Dynon) the HSI screen they have can be driven by an SL30, not just the x96 hand held GPS's. I suspect it won't be long until they also include the glide slope on their display.

I opted to go with the older engine monitor on my right side and the D100 7" display on the left.

Here are some pictures:
EFIS and EMS displays: http://www.repucci.com/bill/panel/dynon%20low%20oil%20p%20warning%202.jpg
EFIS w/ EMS and EMS: http://www.repucci.com/bill/panel/dynon%20low%20oil%20p%20warning.jpg
EFIS w/ EMS and EMS displaying EFIS info: http://www.repucci.com/bill/panel/dynon%20talk.jpg

Good luck with your decision, it will not be easy.

BTW, I wouldn't buy anything until the last minute because this stuff changes so fast!

Bill

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: