Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on oil (synthetic and 100LL)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceashman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Question on oil (synthetic and 100LL) Reply with quote

How about this angle to the thread?

We know that Rotax states that the 912 motor requires synthetic (with no 100 LL) or semi synthetic (for when 100 LL) is being used, for reason of lubing the reduction drive.

But how about if you purchase the TCP lead scavenger fuel additive from John at Sport Plane LLC / Kitfox. ( side note: John, why don't you have your S.P.llc catalogue on your Kitfox site ?)
The way I am thinking of this is; If I use the TCP to remove the lead, then there is no issue with the oil I use and we could use full synthetic.

Any thoughts on this?

Another question. (New topic, KITFOX 912 OIL TANK DIP STICK)
For us who have the 912 with the oil tank behind and above the motor.
Why are we using the new replacement dip stick?
I know that there was a Rotax service memo about this.
This will only load the system more than full and you get a dirty belly or you get hydraulic lock after the plane sits for a while and gravity drained the oil to the lowest places.
This happened to me. It is a good thing that I always hand prop a couple of times with power off. I would hate to think of what would happen if I used the starter! Could have bent something.

Has anyone had the hydraulic lock problem?

Eric, Atlanta.

Mark,

All I know about this subject is from the Rotax bulletin on preferred oils
and the Rotax seminars.

Synthetics are recommended by them for unleaded fuels only. When using
occasional leaded fuels they recommend a synthetic blend or full mineral if
using 100 LL.

If you would like to read their bulletin on this, follow the links below to
the numbered bulletin. When I change oil, I wipe down the oil tank with a
papertowl and without fail, if I have been using 100LL as in a long cross
country, I get a pasty residue from the tank. It is light gray colored.
With the exception of the gear additive recommended by Rotax because the

engine oil also lubricates the gear box, I am comfortable with their general
recommendations for all four stroke engine types.

It would be good of course to have other data from other engine types to
eliminate the need to extrapolate.
http://www.rotax-owner.com/

SERVICE DOCUMENT RETRIEVAL SYSTEM

SI-18-1997 (2004)

SI-912-016 (2006)

Lowell
---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
runwayrex(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Question on oil (synthetic and 100LL) Reply with quote

Ceashman,
I don't believe the reduction gear is the reason for the synthetic/semi-synthetic oils you mention. Motorcycle oils have an additive that helps prevent the "shearing" of oil for their trannys, so a motorcycle oil grade oil should be used. The problem is that lead in aviation fuel isn't compatable with synthetic oil due to its suspension in the oil. TCP doesn't eliminate lead. It softens it and "helps" it to leave the engine out the exhaust. I wouldn't use synthetic oil with aviation fuel even with TCP.
On your second question, the higher level of oil required (on dip stick) is an answer to some foaming of the oil in the oil tank. If there's enough foam instead of liquid oil, you could starve your engine. I don't believe the higher level will make your engine any more likely to get past the oil pump. The position where the pump stops determines that. Later models of Foxes lowered the entire location of the tank to reduce this tendency. Also, Rotax's choice of oils has to do with ones that don't foam as much as others. I use Honda HP4 semi synthetic motorcycle oil and have 557 trouble free hours.
Just my understanding after taking two Rotax four stroke classes. If you get a chance to take them, they're very good. Eric Tucker does a great job of covering that engine. I hope I got this info right.
Rex in Michigan

-- Ceashman(at)aol.com wrote:
How about this angle to the thread?

We know that Rotax states that the 912 motor requires synthetic (with no 100 LL) or semi synthetic (for when 100 LL) is being used, for reason of lubing the reduction drive.

But how about if you purchase the TCP lead scavenger fuel additive from John at Sport Plane LLC / Kitfox. ( side note: John, why don't you have your S.P.llc catalogue on your Kitfox site ?)
The way I am thinking of this is; If I use the TCP to remove the lead, then there is no issue with the oil I use and we could use full synthetic.

Any thoughts on this?

Another question. (New topic, KITFOX 912 OIL TANK DIP STICK)
For us who have the 912 with the oil tank behind and above the motor.
Why are we using the new replacement dip stick?
I know that there was a Rotax service memo about this.
This will only load the system more than full and you get a dirty belly or you get hydraulic lock after the plane sits for a while and gravity drained the oil to the lowest places.
This happened to me. It is a good thing that I always hand prop a couple of times with power off. I would hate to think of what would happen if I used the starter! Could have bent something.

Has anyone had the hydraulic lock problem?

Eric, Atlanta.

Mark,

All I know about this subject is from the Rotax bulletin on preferred oils
and the Rotax seminars.

Synthetics are recommended by them for unleaded fuels only. When using
occasional leaded fuels they recommend a synthetic blend or full mineral if
using 100 LL.

If you would like to read their bulletin on this, follow the links below to
the numbered bulletin. When I change oil, I wipe down the oil tank with a
papertowl and without fail, if I have been using 100LL as in a long cross
country, I get a pasty residue from the tank. It is light gray colored.
With the exception of the gear additive recommended by Rotax because the

engine oil also lubricates the gear box, I am comfortable with their general
recommendations for all four stroke engine types.

It would be good of course to have other data from other engine types to
eliminate the need to extrapolate.
http://www.rotax-owner.com/

SERVICE DOCUMENT RETRIEVAL SYSTEM

SI-18-1997   (2004)

SI-912-016 (2006)

Lowell
---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: