Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyethylene adhesive test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdoud(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Polyethylene adhesive test Reply with quote

Well, I got the 3M DP-8005 (correct number) Polyethylene adhesion test completed.

Took a 1 gallon milk bottle and a 1"x 1/16" pice of aluminum, cleaned them with MEK, didn't bother to rough them up and squeezed out a pea size amount of adhesive. Using top notch research methods, I taped a couple of wooden pencils together, with a AAA battery between the pencils in paralell., so I could push the glue plungers equally. One syringe plunger is very small and one is much larger, giving the proper 10:1 glue ratio.

I stuck the aluminum bar onto the gallon milk jug, with the pea sized gob of glue and let it squish out the sides of the mating. You have to do all of the "stickin' together" in 3 minutes or less. I let'r sit all night and the next morning tried to get the 2 pieces apart.

There was no way...........I finally pulled to the point of tearing the side clear out of the milk jug, ruining a perfectly good galon milk jug and bending a perfectly good piece of aluminum.

I should caution anyone wanting to duplicate this, very profesional, exhaustive test, to first empty the milk jug of milk.

Needless to say, I'm convinced the the adhesive will, without question, hold a piece of aluminum to the side of a polyethylene milk jug, no matter how hard one pulls on the piece of aluminum.

I finally got "some" of the adhesive off of the aluminum, with a hammer and chisel, further damaging my 6"X1"X1/16" piece of aluminum, that I had been saving for several years, ............for something or other.

Oh Well........

Anyway, 3M did a bang up job designing this DP-8005 (correct number) adhesive and I'm going to take heart in hand, drill an inch and something or other, hole in the top of my Fox header tank and glue on the aluminum flange, so the low level fuel sensor can be installed.

I did check with 3M regarding the compatiblity of gasoline and DP-8005 (correct number) and they told me the was no problem. However, once there was ethanol added to the gas, there would be a major explosion! (Just kidding)

Regards............Herb Advanced Scientific Polyethylene Glue Sticking Dept MBAPOOP

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
donpearsall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Polyethylene adhesive test Reply with quote

Very good report, Herb! Sorry about your milk jug and your scrap of aluminum. Sacrifices in the name of science are always difficult, but we do appreciate you for making them.

Don Pearsall
[quote] From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of HMDOUD
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 12:41 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Polyethylene adhesive test

Well, I got the 3M DP-8005 (correct number) Polyethylene adhesion test completed.

Took a 1 gallon milk bottle and a 1"x 1/16" pice of aluminum, cleaned them with MEK, didn't bother to rough them up and squeezed out a pea size amount of adhesive. Using top notch research methods, I taped a couple of wooden pencils together, with a AAA battery between the pencils in paralell., so I could push the glue plungers equally. One syringe plunger is very small and one is much larger, giving the proper 10:1 glue ratio.

I stuck the aluminum bar onto the gallon milk jug, with the pea sized gob of glue and let it squish out the sides of the mating. You have to do all of the "stickin' together" in 3 minutes or less. I let'r sit all night and the next morning tried to get the 2 pieces apart.

There was no way...........I finally pulled to the point of tearing the side clear out of the milk jug, ruining a perfectly good galon milk jug and bending a perfectly good piece of aluminum.

I should caution anyone wanting to duplicate this, very profesional, exhaustive test, to first empty the milk jug of milk.

Needless to say, I'm convinced the the adhesive will, without question, hold a piece of aluminum to the side of a polyethylene milk jug, no matter how hard one pulls on the piece of aluminum.

I finally got "some" of the adhesive off of the aluminum, with a hammer and chisel, further damaging my 6"X1"X1/16" piece of aluminum, that I had been saving for several years, ............for something or other.

Oh Well........

Anyway, 3M did a bang up job designing this DP-8005 (correct number) adhesive and I'm going to take heart in hand, drill an inch and something or other, hole in the top of my Fox header tank and glue on the aluminum flange, so the low level fuel sensor can be installed.

I did check with 3M regarding the compatiblity of gasoline and DP-8005 (correct number) and they told me the was no problem. However, once there was ethanol added to the gas, there would be a major explosion! (Just kidding)

Regards............Herb Advanced Scientific Polyethylene Glue Sticking Dept MBAPOOP

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tleiss(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Polyethylene adhesive test Reply with quote

Herb,

Sir, since you have such an well laid out Laboratory, and have used extensive and expensive equipment for this test, I was wondering,

Can you do it again with Gorilla Glue and let us know the results?

Todd Leiss

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: