Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scratchbuilders - Spar Cap Drilling Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sky_ranger161

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Scratchbuilders - Spar Cap Drilling Idea Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Ever since I started thinking about drilling my spar caps, I've been scratching my head about the best way to drill perfectly aligned holes into them and still support the remaining ends so no bow is built into the spars. I've seen where other guys set their drill press beside their work table and swing the head around, and I even tried it, but it was a little like driving a car from the back seat. It was hard for me to make sure everything was perfectly aligned, and for this critical drilling operation I felt like I needed to be a little more in control.

Here's my solution. I used one of my hole saws to cut a hole in the workbench so I could stick the post of the drill press up through it. The head of the drill press comes off with two simple allen screws, so it was really easy to remove it, then stick it back on. The drill press is resting on a solid small table under the bench, and I've even got the normal adjustable drill press table cranked up and braced against the bottom of the workbench - further stabilizing it. After leveling and making sure everything was square, I cut some small wedges and wedged the post in the hole. It's solid as a rock.

After I'm done drilling, I can remove the press and will be able to put a c-clamp through that hole and clamp things from the middle of the table. Pretty cool.

Debo Cox
Nags Head, NC
XL/Corvair scratchbuilder
Working on wing spars (obviously)

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

spar_drilling_drill_press_(Small).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.07 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)

spar_drilling_drill_press_(Small).JPG

drill_press_with_wedges_(Small).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.35 KB
 Viewed:  308 Time(s)

drill_press_with_wedges_(Small).JPG

naumuk(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Scratchbuilders - Spar Cap Drilling Idea Reply with quote

Debo-
I used a roller support and C-clamped a 2'x2' piece of plywood to the drill press table. Then again, I'm lazy.
Speaking of drill presses, when did they do away with down locks? Man, I miss my Bridgeport, but I live in an area that doesn't provide 240v 3 phase, so I'm SOL anyway.
Bill Naumuk
HDS Fuselage
Townville, Pa
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

barcusc(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Scratchbuilders - Spar Cap Drilling Idea Reply with quote

Side Note: I ran a Bridgeport Mill, Southbend Lathe and a Reed surface grinder in my garage with a 3 phase converter, one at a time of course, you lose a little power but not enough to matter unless you are doing real heavy work. The converter cost about $100.00 and runs on 220. By the way, I really wish I still had my old machines.

Regards:

Clyde
601XL

Do Not Archive
---

Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratchbuilders - Spar Cap Drilling Idea Reply with quote

I did a little thinking here also, and figured the work table is real flat and stationary. Now what would be an easy way to move the part past the drill press? Here is what I did. Out came the router and I cut two long groves the length of the table. These are so the clecos don't snag when moving the parts. Next the visqueen goes on the table then the part goes on top of that. It slides real smooth and doesn't leave scratches.

After hand drilling a few holes to get the Rear Spar Caps clecoed in position, the Web is the drill template, position and square up the drill press. The drill press bed is cranked up to touch the lower beam of my work table. Helps steady the whole setup. I placed a 1" piece of black rubber on the movable drill press table and cranked it up and locked it in place, then check for movement and squareness. Had to try a few shims and a C-Clamp but it is square and stable. I just used enough up pressure to compress the rubber a little and not lift the work table.

In a top from a squeeze bottle add some Tap Magic, dip drill bit before drilling each hole. I should be able to match drill everything as a stack with this setup. All the pilot holes are in the webs and spar caps for the wings.

clecogrooves.jpeg
 Description:
Cleco Grooves
 Filesize:  120.13 KB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

clecogrooves.jpeg

drillpress.jpeg
 Description:
Drillpress setup for Spar Caps
 Filesize:  148.33 KB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)

drillpress.jpeg

tapmagic.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.21 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

tapmagic.jpeg

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: