Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planecrazzy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Planecrazzy, Probably never thought of your name in BOLD, but there it is a topic addressed as Planecrazzy.

Brother of the sky. You put a bug in my ear a while back about "you have the 5 inch spacer?", regarding the prop distance from the back of the wing.

I thought hard and long about that and it f, for whatever reason, stuck with me. Today I moved my prop in line with the front mount tabs for the wings and discovered that it is within 39 1/2" of the tabs in front. The prop therefore is within 4.7 inches from the rear of the front of the aileron tube.
However, it is within 2.7 inches of the Aileron horn when it is in the up position. Now, the Aileron horn is midway (approximately ) or greater to the center of the prop . Therefore, the prop tip would not be coming close to it. When IVO states in their installation instructions: " five inches from any obstruction." I find it hard to imagine, but I must believe, that the prop could flex BACK 5 inches and Front 5 inches, or 10 inches total, at the tip!

What has been your experience? Because “in the air is the last place to actually experiment with things that go boom“!

Ohio Ralph

See picture of existing prop mount. Stack-up from ‘B” box prop mount to prop centerline is 2.0”.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

DSCF1167 (Small).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.66 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

DSCF1167 (Small).JPG

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Hey Ralph,
I didn't say I had a 5" spacer...I said IVO calls for 5" of clearance...

I have a 3" spacer... ( $80 bucks )

Jack Hart has done some experimenting with the flexing....

He taped paper to the aileron and Flew.... Then he looked at the paper streamers that he had placed in the area of the prop arc...

Jack....Do you have that page or data handy ???

Here's a picture of my prop extention...

Gotta Fly...
Planecrazzzy ( That's 3 - Z's )

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Prop Extention - 3 inch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.8 KB
 Viewed:  329 Time(s)

Prop Extention - 3 inch.jpg

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Hey, Planecrazzy, Sorry. But what I said was " "you have the 5 inch spacer?" There was a Question mark refering to you (first person) asking me if I had the 5" spacer.

That covered, That is the largest 3" I have ever seen. Must be the angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ohio Ralph

David.Lehman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Educate me, why do you need the spacer and is it only required on an IVO?..

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--- George Bernard Shaw
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

David, According to IVO's installation instructions, because of flexure of their brand prop, clearance between the leading edge at the end of the prop (my assumption), can be as much as 5". I'm not sure if the fact thta the prop could be used on a pusher as well as a puller if the 5" clearance is total fore and aft or per side. Thats a lot of movement in my humble opinion. Now if that is only at the ends of the blades (tips), then half way up on each blade half (or 1/3, if three blade) would not flex any where nera that amount.

I really don't want to stick a spacer that long on the back of my gear box. If I am anywhere near correct in my math, the longer a moment is the more foot pounds at distance it has to work with. Even if the clearance is minimal between the bolt shank and the individual mounting holes, it has a larger moment of purchase. I also know that the sheer rating on these bolts is pretty high but man.

Ohio Ralph

David.Lehman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

I agree with your concerns Ralph... That's why I asked, because it just didn't make sense to me to put more stress on the gearbox and bolts..

Of course, this is coming from a guy who just lost his prop and hub in flight...

DVD

On 10/4/06, Ralph Hoover <flht99reh(at)columbus.rr.com (flht99reh(at)columbus.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Ralph Hoover" < flht99reh(at)Columbus.rr.com (flht99reh(at)Columbus.rr.com)>

David, According to IVO's installation instructions, because of flexure of their brand prop, clearance between the leading edge at the end of the prop (my assumption), can be as much as 5". I'm not sure if the fact thta the prop could be used on a pusher as well as a puller if the 5" clearance is total fore and aft or per side. Thats a lot of movement in my humble opinion. Now if that is only at the ends of the blades (tips), then half way up on each blade half (or 1/3, if three blade) would not flex any where nera that amount.

I really don't want to stick a spacer that long on the back of my gear box. If I am anywhere near correct in my math, the longer a moment is the more foot pounds at distance it has to work with. Even if the clearance is minimal between the bolt shank and the individual mounting holes, it has a larger moment of purchase. I also know that the sheer rating on these bolts is pretty high but man.

Ohio Ralph

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=65877#65877

utilities such as the Subscriptions page, ://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List - NEW MATRONICS WEB F= tronics.com"> - bsp; -Matt Dralle, List Admin. ==

--
"Attitude is everything ~ pick a good one"... [quote][b]

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--- George Bernard Shaw
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Ralph,
In 1997 I bought a used IVO 68 inch prop from Dennis Souder at Old Kolb.
With it came a 2 1/2 inch spacer. I used it until this year when I wrecked
the plane and the prop. I had no problems with the prop or the gear box.
Larry,Oregon

---

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

At 03:35 PM 10/4/06 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:

Hey Ralph,
I didn't say I had a 5" spacer...I said IVO calls for 5" of clearance...

I have a 3" spacer... ( $80 bucks )

Jack Hart has done some experimenting with the flexing....

He taped paper to the aileron and Flew.... Then he looked at the paper streamers that he had placed in the area of the prop arc...

Jack....Do you have that page or data handy ???

http://www.thirdshift.com/jack/firefly/firefly83.html

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Thats a lot of movement in my humble opinion. Now if that is only at
the ends of the blades (tips), then half way up on each blade half (or
1/3, if three blade) would not flex any where nera that amount.
|
|
| Ohio Ralph
Ralph:

I believe the blades flex most on start up and shut down. Hooking a
strobe light with sensor to your airplane, and shooting it at night
will show you just how much the blades dance.

Early on with my 912 and again on my 912ULS I had blade strikes on
start up, but it took a long time to determine that this was when the
strikes were actually happening. A two inch extension on the 912UL
and a 4 inch extension on the 912ULS took care of that problem.

Coning of the prop can best be demonstrated with the main rotors on a
helicopter. If you get a chance to watch a Flying Crane pick up a
heavy load to a hover, you will see what coning is. That's because he
is maintaining an operational rotor rpm and increasing pitch and
power.

I don't know how much coning effect we get with IVO's or Warp Drive
props in flight. Perhaps Jack Hart has done some extensive
experimentation in that area. I doubt that there is very much based
on prop speed and fixed pitch props. As rpm and airspeed increases,
seems like centrifugal force would reduce coning.

I don't think you can see how much the prop blades flex on start up
and shut down, but when you get a good blade strike, you can feel and
hear it.

Take care,
john h

Titus, Alabama
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Well, thanks to Jack Hart, John, H., Planecrazzy, Larry and others, I heard what I didn't want to hear.

Know the feeling. You hear something and hope that it isn't true, only to find out it is. Couldn't you guys all just lie one time? Ha, HA!

I'll tell ya one thing, when Jack Hart sinks his teeth into something he was the one the word "tenacity" was created from. Jack, your a benchmark!

And John Hauck, yes Sir I have seen some of them big house movers here in Ohio and know what you speak as the coning. I see that as the load is applied the beaters reach higher and higher until the weight of lift is equal or exceeds the weight of the lifted. That also concerns me in the coming and the going: full throttle at takeoff and pull power to land! Smack, smack, smack coming from behind me doesn't excite me in the least. Now I question as to 5" spacer (which adds some of its own problems), or get another blade. Had a nice Tennessee woody on before. Never gave consideration to flexure. Guess I ASS UMED there would be very little and that any would be the nature of the beast. Therefore corrected for in the design.

What IVO is telling us is that even though the flexure is "designed in", we need to deal with it by correcting at our end.

This 5" extension also gets us into another subject area. Not C.G., for that has changed very little but for and aft of C.G. effect. If 1# at 10 feet equals 10# then what does thrust at 5" farther aft do to thrust line? I know it may be trivial, but in the initial design all these things are taken into consideration, only to be altered down the road by our modifications. I know, John Hauck, That's why they call it "experimental".
Live and learning here in Ohio Ralph!

planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

there are also fabulously different flexure modes present in mode blades. There are several modes where the tips are flexed one way and the span is arched in the opposite direction. there are others where one tip is aft and the other is forward, both tips are forward or both aft and on and on and on.

Short: don't make dynamic assumptions based on static observations!

John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck"
Thats a lot of movement in my humble opinion. Now if that is only at
the ends of the blades (tips), then half way up on each blade half (or
1/3, if three blade) would not flex any where nera that amount.
|
|
| Ohio Ralph
Ralph:

I believe the blades flex most on start up and shut down. Hooking a
strobe light with sensor to your airplane, and shooting it at night
will show you just how much the blades dance.

Early on with my 912 and again on my 912ULS I had blade strikes on
start up, but it took a long time to determine that this was when the
strikes were actually happening. A two inch extension on the 912UL
and a 4 inch extension on the 912ULS took care of that problem.

Coning of the prop can best be demonstrated with the main rotors on a
helicopter. If you get a chance to watch a Flying Crane pick up a
heavy load to a hover, you will see what coning is. That's because he
is maintaining an operational rotor rpm and increasing pitch and
power.

I don't know how much coning effect we get with IVO's or Warp Drive
props in flight. Perhaps Jack Hart has done some extensive
experimentation in that area. I doubt that there is very much based
on prop speed and fixed pitch props. As rpm and Get your own [url= http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43290/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains]web address for just $1.99/1st yr[/url]. We'll help.

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzzy! Reply with quote

Hey Ralph,
I've also heard that the spacer helps make it quiter...

Somethin about getting the prop away from the other surfaces...

I've had people comment on how quite my plane was....They wanted to

know how I did it..... after muffler or intake silentsers....

I don't have any of that stuff .... Just a prop extention...

Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN

PS I've been thinkin about one of those "Balancers" that uses Mercury in them... I've heard their "spendy" but they work good....
Anybody know where I can find them....My wallets just too fat...

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Plaincrazzy,

I had one of the dynamic vibration dampeners on ( ready for this?), a Harley. Didn't do squat. They will offset and correct for minimal amount of dynamic disturbance, Ie:pulley balance, transient and transmitted intermittent vibration.

Remember they use a small amount of mercury in a track around the circumference that is contained within a diameter. In hearing about them, the theory sounds really great but not worth the money. MHO. Something about equal and opposite forces canceling out each other. They have to be equal, and you won’t feel the small amount that the mercury offsets. The opposite is somewhat true because the mercury seeks to go opposite of the heavy side, like a tire balancing weight, always seeking the opposite at what ever speed.

There used to be a Company in Worthington, Ohio that did industrial dynamic and static balance monitoring for electric motors, pumps, gear boxes and other rotational equipment. I had a friend that worked there and their equipment could see the effects of this type balancing. It was masked, not corrected for.

Perhaps someone has had a different experience than the above. Sometimes when I have spent good hard earned money to buy a “pig in a poke”, I wanted so bad for it to work, that I convinced myself that it did. Even when it didn’t!

As they say, its your money.

Ohio Ralph

Michael Sharp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Is this the Engine Balancer you speak of?

http://www.balancemasters.com/ultralights.html

Mike

--

Roughing it' 1886

Mike
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Planecrazzy! Reply with quote

Thanks Michael,
I've only "heard" of the balancers....But the address you gave looks good , I tried to order the balancer for the 503 ($90 ) but their not open til Monday.....

I'm gonna buy one .....

Gotta Fly...
Mike & Jaz in MN

Michael Sharp wrote:
Is this the Engine Balancer you speak of?

http://www.balancemasters.com/ultralights.html

Mike

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: