Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who sells instruments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstroud(at)storm.ca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

I'm setting up the panel now on my F51 project so the subject of instruments
came up. My Housai engine will need at least a tach, oil temp / pressure gauges.
Anything else recommended and who sells these gauges please? Anything sitting
on a shelf gathering dust in good serviceable condition? I'm in the market for decent
flight instruments too. I see what looks to be a tach generator sticking out from the
air start distributor.

I've a starting procedure question too. After you've pulled the prop through, primed etc.
you hit the starter and that engages the air solenoid and shower of sparks ( incorrect
name I think) simultaneously. As the engine begins to start, the mags get switched
on and briefly the air, shower of sparks and mags all are engaged together. Do you
normally need to have your left hand free to play with the throttle through all of this ?
ie, would it be very important for me to configure the starter button/switch and mag
switch to be activated with only one hand during the process? Thanks.

David Stroud Ottawa, Canada
C-FDWS Christavia
Fairchild 51 early construction

[quote] [b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Dave,
I have all the engine and pneumatic instruments you might need, also valves, etc, etc. If it's in a CJ I have it.

Actually having 3 hands would be handy some times. I'd configure it somewhat like the CJ or 52.

Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp [quote] --

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly. Put the shower of sparks/airstart button just to the right of the mag switch. Configure the mags to switch out board so that when the engine fires with the thumb of your left hand on the button you can flip the mag switch outboard with your middle finger. If you prime the engine and pull atleast four blades after priming it and cracking the manifold/throttle lever (Russsian term "the advance"), you will not need to jockey the throttle to get her fired.
Doc

[quote] ---

wlannon(at)cablerocket.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

David;

Doug Sapp will have a tachometer to match the tach-generator on your Huosai. If you wish to use a triple guage for oil temp/fuel press and oil press rather than individual guages there are options.

1. The Chinese/Russian guage requires two matching firewall mounted transmitters to convert oil and fuel pressure to an electrical signal for the guages.

2. The standard AN triple guage has direct reading pressure guages. These should be connected using MIL H 8794 hose (Aeroquip 303) for long life. I have found these much more reliable than the
Chinese/Russian units.

Both types use a Wheatstone bridge circuit for the oil temperature with a matching probe sending unit (different of course for AN or Chinese).

The Huosai uses auto advance mags so the ignition is set to BOTH for starting. The M14P uses a fixed spark mag so ignition is energized after the boost coil (not shower of sparks) start.

Walt
[quote] ---

dstroud(at)storm.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Giday Doug. Thanks for the note. Walt Lannon said in his note that the
Huosai does not need a boost coil like the M14P so why would three
hands be a good thing? Not trying to be smart here...just trying to understand.
Steve Culp sold me a boost coil knowing full well I was installing a Huosai
engine so I automatically thought about the positioning of the switches.
Unfortunately, I've never seen the inside of a CJ or Yak cockpit.

Are your instruments of Chinese or US origin? I'm trying to keep this project
looking as original as possible as a 1930 replica. Chinese markings
on the panel may detract from this but of course we have to consider compatibility
of the connections etc. If you have engine instruments which might be useful
for the project, please say condition and price etc. I'm ready to deal.

C-FDWS Christavia

[quote] ---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

dave,

Actually the HS6 has a booster coil on it also (usually mounted on the engine mount on the left side). The difference in starting procedures between the M-14 and HS6 is in the mags not the coil. If you start the M-14 with the mags on "1&2", she can easily kick back during the start. This sometimes shear the coupling on the compressor (the most likely to happen - too me anywa y).

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

wlannon(at)cablerocket.co

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

David;

I did not say that the M14P does not use a boost coil. All of these engines do. I tried to point out that there is a difference in the mags that dictates different start procedures.

I mentioned boost coil only to advise you that it is not a shower of sparks system.

Walt
[quote] ---

dstroud(at)storm.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

AAAAh. Now I'm starting to understand. The Huosai uses a booster coil ( and earlier I wrongly
stated that Walt Lannon said one was not necessary) as does the M14P, but because of the
auto advance features of the Huosai mags, ...ie ..retard at zero to low rpm, the Huosai mags can
be turned on before the boost coil/ air solenoid switch is engaged. So, ..I guess, only two hands
may be needed if one is required to frig with the throttle for any reason during startup.

Sorry to the list for this quasi off topic drivel and thanks to all who have contributed advice.
It's not easy building something from scratch, but the Fairchild 51 has some significant position
in early aviation in Canada and the USA. The advent of a reasonable cost 285hp radial makes
things like this an achievable proposition and I'll likely be the only one on the planet flying one.
Besides...who else will be able to fly in with more beer than you guys can drink, eh?

Anyone with aforementioned instruments for sale, please contact me off list dstroud(at)storm.ca (dstroud(at)storm.ca)
Thanks.

C-FDWS Christavia

[quote] ---

KingCJ6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Unless you have the proprietary TSO'd CJ Parking Brake mod, or have the a/c chocked, you will need a hand on the throttle, the start button and the brake handle (unless you have a very large, multidextrous left hand!).

In a message dated 10/19/2006 5:22:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, dstroud(at)storm.ca writes:
Quote:
Walt Lannon said in his note that the
Huosai does not need a boost coil like the M14P so why would three
hands be a good thing? Not trying to be smart here...just trying to understand.

[quote][b]

jgriffint28(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Hi David
You DO need a boost coil with a Huosai because there is no impulse coupler on either M14 or Huosai mags. You start the Huosai with both mags on. It will not start in reverse like the M14 because of the advance in the mags. If you have chinese mags start with both mags on. It won't start without the boost coil.
Jim Griffin
[quote] ---

windsorsedge(at)ozemail.c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Guys
Do you mean to say that you should only start the M14 with one mag? ….not sure if anyone does that hear in OZ

Tim & Jessie Windsor

Windsors Edge Vineyard
Windsors Edge Cottages
Top Red War Birds

1039 McDonalds Rd POKOLBIN NSW 2320
T/F: 02 4998 7737
E: windsorsedge(at)ozemail.com.au

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Griffin
Sent: Friday, 20 October 2006 12:58 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Who sells instruments?

Hi David

You DO need a boost coil with a Huosai because there is no impulse coupler on either M14 or Huosai mags. You start the Huosai with both mags on. It will not start in reverse like the M14 because of the advance in the mags. If you have chinese mags start with both mags on. It won't start without the boost coil.

Jim Griffin
[quote]
---

mlbjr(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

David Stroud......contact me off list (mlbjr(at)earthlink.net (mlbjr(at)earthlink.net)) to discuss American instrumentation for the Housai Engine. And yes, you can hand prop the engine w/o the shower of sparks operating. Marcus
[quote][b]

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Who sells instruments? Reply with quote

Although it can be started on one mag, it should be started on both mags. I have started the M14P with standard M9F magnetos and a bad booster coil wire. Here is how I did it. Prepare the engine to start as you always do including pulling the prime through about 3-4 blades. Then start the rotation with the air start as you would normally do. When the rotation reaches its max speed, flip the mags on to 1 + 2.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: