Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar VNE and flutter questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Firestar VNE and flutter questions Reply with quote

I am trying to get a crash course here on the Firestars so I don't make another mistake. First, the VNE on the original Firestar is 70 from what I understand. Why is that? Is it due to possible flutter or is it simply the number of ribs in the wing? Are there original Firestars that have a higher VNE than 70 if so what do I need to look for to see if one I am interested in meets the standards? What would YOU look for if you were interested in purchasing a Firestar. Would you just buy a Firestar II instead of an Original?

Second, I have noticed that some Firestars have balanced ailerons. Can this be retrofitted to an existing Firestar and if so how hard is it?

Ya'll are getting a workout with me and my questions. Thanks for the help.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ul15rhb(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Firestar VNE and flutter questions Reply with quote

Firebug,

The Vne for the Original Firestar is 80mph and that is very conservative as I've had mine up to XX (I better not say without getting into trouble) without any flutter. The Originals fly the best as I have flown all of them (probably because they are lighter and have the true differential aileron throw with the two bellcrank system).

Ralph
Original Firestar
19 years flying
-- "firebug" <gcc1964(at)mon-cre.net> wrote:

I am trying to get a crash course here on the Firestars so I don't make another mistake. First, the VNE on the original Firestar is 70 from what I understand. Why is that? Is it due to possible flutter or is it simply the number of ribs in the wing? Are there original Firestars that have a higher VNE than 70 if so what do I need to look for to see if one I am interested in meets the standards? What would YOU look for if you were interested in purchasing a Firestar. Would you just buy a Firestar II instead of an Original?

Second, I have noticed that some Firestars have balanced ailerons. Can this be retrofitted to an existing Firestar and if so how hard is it?

Ya'll are getting a workout with me and my questions. Thanks for the help.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=6839#6839

Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Firestar VNE and flutter questions Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/25/2006 5:32:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gcc1964(at)mon-cre.net writes:
I am trying to get a crash course here on the Firestars so I don't make
another mistake. First, the VNE on the original Firestar is 70 from what I
understand. Why is that? Is it due to possible flutter or is it simply the number of
ribs in the wing? Are there original Firestars that have a higher VNE than 70
if so what do I need to look for to see if one I am interested in meets the
standards? What would YOU look for if you were interested in purchasing a
Firestar. Would you just buy a Firestar II instead of an Original.

One thing to consider is fuel capacity. The KXP is a very nice plane, but
only calls for a 5 gallon tank.

Not sure about the original FS, but my Kolb is gonna have a 10 gal. tank.
If you really don't want to go very far, then 5 may do.

I highly recommend the FS II with a 503DCDI.

John Jung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar VNE and flutter questions Reply with quote

firebug wrote:
I am trying to get a crash course here on the Firestars so I don't make another mistake.

Firebug,

I have owned an original Firestar and a Firestar II. The biggest difference is the ability to carry a passenger. Being able to carry 10 gallons is right up there, too. Another difference to me is the seat. The original had a comfortable seat and I had to design my own seat to get the Firestar II to be as comfortable. I previously mentioned that I like a 503.

An original could be a good deal is the condition is good and the price is right. It just depends on how you want to use it. If you plan to add more engine, your going to want more gas. Once you start flying faster you will want to make other changes, and you may wish that you had just bought the II in the first place. So, decide now, how fast do you want to go. Then buy the plane that best meets your needs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: