Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK III X 582 TO 912ULS CONVERSION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Ballenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: MK III X 582 TO 912ULS CONVERSION Reply with quote

Hello to all

I wanted to share some information I have learned since upgrading from a 582 to a 912uls with a 72" 3 bladed WARP prop on my MK III X. It is not cheap to upgrade but I got a break on the engine when I bought John Hauck's old 912uls. It is a strong running engine well proven in the most extreme of conditions and I am very happy with it.

I ended up lowering the leading edge of the wing by about 5/8" to keep from getting airborne before the plane was ready to fly and lowering the leading edge of the horizontal stab to 1/4" above the centerline of the boom tube. I added a trim tab to the elevator to give it some down pressure and a large rudder trim tab to hold right rudder. I also removed my trim tab from the left aileron that I needed with the 582 installed.

My empty weight increased from 564 to 602 lbs and the cg ranges from 26 to 34.8 so it falls within the limits. I have the prop pitched for straight and level WOT at 5500 rpm. This give me a take off climb of about 1200 fpm at 70 mph IAS with 5400 rpms. So far some rough performance numbers are at 5500 rpm in level flight IAS is 95 mph, 5000 rpm give me a little more than 85 mph IAS and 4500 is a little less than 80 mph IAS.

The plane trims out nicely with the way it is set up. I do not have to use the cockpit trim control while solo to maintain level flight at 5000rpm. This will allow me to trim the airplane with a passenger and maintain level flight with in limits I hope. Time will tell as I have not taken a passenger up yet.

I also had to change out my Kunztleman HotBox and EIS and I am very happy with them.

I want to thank Brian and Travis at TNK for all the advice and time they spent on the phone with me during the conversion and certainly John Hauck for going out of his way to remove and deliver the engine to me in a timely manner so I could get back in the air.

Jim Ballenger
MK III X 912ULS
N46319
Virginia Beach, Virginia
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Denny Rowe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: MK III X 582 TO 912ULS CONVERSION Reply with quote

Jim,
Congrats on your new powerplant.
Thanks for the info, sounds like you have many hours of fun and dependable flying ahead of you.
Keep us posted on your adventures.

Denny
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Cat36Fly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: MK III X 582 TO 912ULS CONVERSION Reply with quote

Jim;

I'm very happy to see you back in the air. However, go easy with those new performance numbers as some of us are still using the 582. Actually, I'm green with envy.

Fly Safe
Larry Tasker

Any feel yet for how long your legs are going to be now? Should use less fuel and as I recall you have 20 gal.
[quote][b]

Jim Ballenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: MK III X 582 TO 912ULS CONVERSION Reply with quote

Larry

It is good to be back in the air. Last Sunday was an overcast morning and no wind. A great day to test what the plane and engine could do. I set the engine at 5000 rpm and it just flew as level as any plane I've flown including the spam cans. Of course it would only fly a few seconds without any corrections, it wants to roll very slightly to the left but I felt very comfortable. The plane and engine are a great combination.

I really don't know how long I will fly between pit stops but I'm thinking around two hours at fuel flow of 5.25 gph. I'm not sure the old body or bladder will take much more than that. You're right I have 20 gallons on board.

Jim
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: