Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking Resistor Caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexjan(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Checking Resistor Caps Reply with quote

How do I check whether I have resistor caps or not? Is it simply 5k ohms
between the plug and wire contacts? I guess I therefore have to remove the
caps from the wires. Is there anything special I should do to put them back
together, such as conductive grease, etc.?

Hi ! Guy,
  yes you are basically correct however not all caps are 5K ohms some are 1K and you might might find others. Yes your dielectric grease is a good idea. The caps have what looks like a brass woodscrew in them that screws into the wire end so just twist caps anticlockwise on the wire to remove. You will find the resistance goes high not low.
There is several brands of caps like Bosch etc as well as NGK but I'm an NGK freak. If you Google NGK Spark Plug Caps I'm sure you''ll come up with a site that will show you the different plug caps on offer and their coding. Yes they are coded like a plug type. If you find this you won't need to unscrew and measure. However it's not a bad idea to do so as if you are using resistor caps they should be checked because they do fail and you can find a 5K cap reading 25K for instance. Carbon plug leads used in cars are notorious for the same thing.
This is why I prefer resistor plugs and non resistor caps. This way basically the resistor is unlikely to give trouble because you are changing it when you change plugs. Every 25 hour ????
              Rex.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Checking Resistor Caps Reply with quote

At 11:16 AM 12/8/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
his is why I prefer resistor plugs and non resistor caps. This way
basically the resistor is unlikely to give trouble because you are
changing it when you change plugs. Every 25 hour ????

Thanks Rex. Time to go check.
Guy Buchanan
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Do not archive

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: