Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model 4 engine swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyle Persels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

I'm nearing completion of replacement of the Rotax 912 UL with a 912
ULS in my Model 4. Does this constitute a major change that will
require a new FAA inspection, signoff, certificate, and test period?
Or can I just go fly?

Oh, by the way, my old 912 UL with about 440 hours is for sale. No
price set. What's it worth?

Lyle Persels

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
dcsfoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

look at your limitations. they should tell you if you need to contact the FAA.
if it was me I would find out the name of the local FAA airworthiness supervisor. call that person,if he says ok without reentering phase 1 again you need to write him a letter confirming your talk.
if you need help contact me.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

crazyivan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

When I changed props from the GSC to the Ivo, I called my local FSDO. Since it was a "like" swap (meaning both are ground adjustable, 3 blade) recommended by the kit and prop manufacturers, my FSDO guy said I didn't need to perform the 5 hour test period.

Since the 914UL and ULS are similar and supported by the manufacturer you might be able to get away with a minimal or no test period. But, since the aircraft registration lists the engine then there might be some re-registration paperwork hassle to go along with it.

Call your FSDO and they should give you the legal ruling. I found them to be friendly and helpful. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/dsm/contact/

dwight purdy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

Have always wondered about this issue. When you look up an aircraft
registration on the FAA web site it say Rotax ,I believe followed by the
word All.

Dwight
At 11:25 AM 1/4/2007 -0800, you wrote:

Quote:

When I changed props from the GSC to the Ivo, I called my local
FSDO. Since it was a "like" swap (meaning both are ground adjustable, 3
blade) recommended by the kit and prop manufacturers, my FSDO guy said I
didn't need to perform the 5 hour test period.

Since the 914UL and ULS are similar and supported by the manufacturer you
might be able to get away with a minimal or no test period. But, since
the aircraft registration lists the engine then there might be some
re-registration paperwork hassle to go along with it.

Call your FSDO and they should give you the legal ruling. I found them to
be friendly and
helpful. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/dsm/contact/

--------
Dave
Speedster 912 UL

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=85450#85450

--
1:34 PM

--

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

I changed my engine out in 1999. Had 912ULS changed to 912ULS. Just fax
info to FAA with your intentions and they will reply back very quickly with
instructions on what they expect. Did t his with engine, props, landing
gear, and vortex generators. Good luck. Clint

Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Model 4 engine swap
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:34:00 -0500

Have always wondered about this issue. When you look up an aircraft
registration on the FAA web site it say Rotax ,I believe followed by the
word All.

Dwight
At 11:25 AM 1/4/2007 -0800, you wrote:

Quote:

When I changed props from the GSC to the Ivo, I called my local FSDO.
Since it was a "like" swap (meaning both are ground adjustable, 3 blade)
recommended by the kit and prop manufacturers, my FSDO guy said I didn't
need to perform the 5 hour test period.

Since the 914UL and ULS are similar and supported by the manufacturer you
might be able to get away with a minimal or no test period. But, since the
aircraft registration lists the engine then there might be some
re-registration paperwork hassle to go along with it.

Call your FSDO and they should give you the legal ruling. I found them to
be friendly and helpful.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/dsm/contact/

--------
Dave
Speedster 912 UL

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=85450#85450

--
1:34 PM

--

JimmieBlackwell(at)austin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

It is amazing the difference between FSDO's I did exactly the same thing,
changed a GSC to IVO. My FSDO in San Antonio required me to perform a 5
hour test period. However, they were very friendly and helpful on the
documentation.

Jimmie
---

Lyle Persels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded to my question about the necessity for FAA blessing my swap from a 912 UL to a 912 ULS. I'll try to respond to each question or comment:
Jimmie B.:  No I didn't have any concerns about the engine at 450 hours. Everything I know about the engine suggests that it's extremely reliable and trouble free and is likely to perform well far beyond the recommended 1200 hour TBO. I was a bit tired of tinkering with the characteristic low rpm roughness, and I wanted to see what the increased horsepower would do for the already excellent performance. I'm not aware of any expensive repairs that are frequently encountered in higher time 912 UL engines.

Jacques V.: Required mods are rather minimal. While the engine mount dimensions are identical, it was necessary to replace the engine mount with a new one with greater wall thickness in the tubing and a couple more diagonal braces. The deeper oil tank along with changed fittings might give you some trouble. I opted to use the oil tank from the old UL rather than modify the cowl and I also found it advantageous to use different oil fittings in a couple of places. Because of my instrumentation, I used the old temperature senders rather than the ones provided with the engine. I had a Warp Drive 70" three-bladed prop. I had to buy a new hub and mounting hardware to fit the revised mounting dimensions. Warp Drive very slightly modified the blade hubs and checked and refurbished the blades at no charge. Good people! Then there were a couple of minor electrical changes and that's about it. John McBean is very helpful with specifics.

Finally, with regard to FAA involvement. My FAA registration does list the engine type as Rotax (all). The restrictions on my airworthiness certificate state that in case of changes, I need only comply with FAR Part 43, Appendix 1. Appendix 1, as I read it, defines powerplant major alterations relating to engine alterations, but not to an engine change. Presumably changing one engine for an identical engine would not constitute a powerplant major alteration. Changing from powerplant to another almost identical powerplant when both are classified identically in the FAA registration—well that's not specifically spelled out and may be subject to varying interpretations by different FSDOs. I'll probably make a call and discuss it with the local office.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Lyle

On 01 4, 07, at 9:55 AM, Jimmie Blackwell wrote:
[quote]Lyle
I am considering changing my 912UL out for a Jabiru, so would sure like to know how this turns out.
My 912UL does not have quiet as many hours as yours but was wondering if you were starting to have some concerns about it.  My thought is to sell my 912 UL before it starts developing expensive problems.
Thank you.
Jimmie
---

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

At 05:36 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Changing from powerplant to another almost identical powerplant when both
are classified identically in the FAA registration—well that's not
specifically spelled out and may be subject to varying interpretations by
different FSDOs. I'll probably make a call and discuss it with the local
office.

Lyle,
Remember that more important than the FAA is your insurance
company. There have been cases of denial-of-coverage based on incorrectly
determining what is a major change. I'd either get the FAA's written
recommendation or do some Phase I testing.
Guy Buchanan
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Lyle Persels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Guy. I hadn't thought of that.

Lyle

Do not archive.

On 01 7, 07, at 9:28 AM, Guy Buchanan wrote:

Quote:

At 05:36 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote:
> Changing from powerplant to another almost identical powerplant
> when both are classified identically in the FAA registration—well
> that's not specifically spelled out and may be subject to varying
> interpretations by different FSDOs. I'll probably make a call and
> discuss it with the local office.

Lyle,
Remember that more important than the FAA is your insurance
company. There have been cases of denial-of-coverage based on
incorrectly determining what is a major change. I'd either get the
FAA's written recommendation or do some Phase I testing.
Guy Buchanan
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Model 4 engine swap Reply with quote

Guy's comments are right on the money. I recall reading of an airplane, I
think one of the early Rutan designs where there was fuel system
modification that was unreported then a number of flight hours on the new
system and then a return to the exact previous system then an accident.
insurance coverage was denied because of the unreported "major alterations".
Read your coverage. Violation of the FARs voids the insurance company's
liability.

Mine reads as follows, "Exclusions, iv) if the aircraft is operated in
violation of any Experimental Operating Limitations prescribed and
specifically granted by the FAA for your aircraft;"

Lowell
---

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Model 4 engine swap (or any major change) Reply with quote

I'm a new guy to the group and just bought a part-built model V kit. I still have an A&P from when I did that for a living, but now work as an engineer and usually on big planes.

Going to higher power engines is pretty common and undocumented changes happen. However, from the legal standpoint, I can comfortably say that the change from a 80hp Rotax to 100hp is a major modification and the FAA believes that they should be notified. I'd expect questions about how you've changed your (legally and insurance-required) flight manual to reflect the changes in climb rate, take-off distance, fuel consumption, range, etc. If the inspector isn't that familiar with the R-912 series, possibly whether you've had to change tach markings, or your Instructions for Continuing Airworthiness (ICA) to reflect any change in engine TBO.

Write down what you did in a letter to the local FSDO in very factual form, like a log entry, including your Kitfox s/n, N#, engine type & s/n (old and new), and attach copies of the changed pages of your manual. Include a statement that there is no change to ICA or weight and balance. I'd also add a sentence about how the factory-delivered kits used the same engine and FWF components, or how similar this is to existing and approved airplanes just like yours. The FAA is looking for the engineering basis of the changes and you just have to document them. At the end of the letter, add that you look forward to the response and are ready to answer any further questions. This letter will ultimately go into the permanent archives for your airplane's N#, so don't write something that might haunt you later. (How you hate dealing with the FAA wouldn't be a good thing.) Have your local IA or A&P proof read it. I call the local FSDO, get an inspector's name to put on the letter, then fax him a copy before mailing. It just goes faster if you have somebody to talk to.

One other consideration if you're thinking about not reporting is that the change can affect your sale of the plane later. The buyer's pre-buy inspection will catch the change and so will his insurance company. I just turned down buying an airplane, but it was an extreme case. The log showed the airplane had a 912 and the actual airplane had a 582!

Bob
A&P, Aircraft Systems Engineer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: