Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

x in the mark III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig.Nelson(at)heraeus.c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: x in the mark III Reply with quote

Happy new year all
I have re-installed the engine after the oil seal was replaced and put the cowling on. We decided to started it up and do some tests before the final inspection with the faa. The sound is defiantly different. Much quieter. I decided to taxi and see how all the oil lines were doing and get the temps up check the H2O system ect. Inspected everything, now check it at higher rpm’s—check the two ignitions it looks good, then decided to do a fast taxi. WOW my heart pounding as I put the usual power setting I have come accustom to and she leaped into the air 50 60 feet! I just wanted to taxi at 50 mph. I was trying to keep her just above the runway and settle back to earth. But no she wanted in the air. Me fighting her, trying to coax her back to the ground—but no-- like a dolphin, up and down. The air speed was 70 no 80, pull the throttle back Oh! She’s coming down to fast. Put a little power in 60 man, the run way is shrinking underneath me---time for power and get altitude and go around. No doors 4850 rpm and I an indicating 90! I come around set up the approach come across the fence at 65 hold err off hold err off, power back a little---oh! Cross wind left aileron hold--- hold-- a little—oh—bounce-- more power—ease it out—rudder -- and then settle to the runway. MAN! I had such a grasp on the stick my arm now feels like I’ve been to the gym. You may remember my post about air speed and could not get over 60 mph. I did just a few hops and when we went to the dry lake bead the oil seal .went out. So the time in the air has been minimal. I’m surprised John H or some one did not spot my problem at MV. No pitch! In the time we had spent on doing the repair from the 4th of July incident I forgot where to pick the pitch with the protractor. We had maybe 5 or 6 degrees only. I’m embarrassed to admit we did not look for the proper procedure to pith the prop. John I put the X back on the extra along with your pitch number as a starting point, using the protractor at the tip of the blade This bird wants blue sky!!. A few years ago the speed we saw was 80 mph with doors off. today 90 with doors off and lower power settings with the cowling. The temps were good, but today was a cool 70 degrees in Maricopa. It looks good.
Have lots of success this year in all you do, and happy flying!
Uncle craig
Do not archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
flyingfox(at)copper.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: x in the mark III Reply with quote

Send some photos Craig. Sounds Great!

Todd

On 1/4/07 5:46 PM, "Craig Nelson" <Craig.Nelson(at)heraeus.com> wrote:

Quote:
Happy new year all
I have re-installed the engine after the oil seal was replaced and put the cowling on. We decided to started it up and do some tests before the final inspection with the faa. The sound is defiantly different. Much quieter. I decided to taxi and see how all the oil lines were doing and get the temps up check the H2O system ect. Inspected everything, now check it at higher rpm’s—check the two ignitions it looks good, then decided to do a fast taxi. WOW my heart pounding as I put the usual power setting I have come accustom to and she leaped into the air 50 60 feet! I just wanted to taxi at 50 mph. I was trying to keep her just above the runway and settle back to earth. But no she wanted in the air. Me fighting her, trying to coax her back to the ground—but no-- like a dolphin, up and down. The air speed was 70 no 80, pull the throttle back Oh! She’s coming down to fast. Put a little power in 60 man, the run way is shrinking underneath me---time for power and get altitude and go around. No doors 4850 rpm and I an indicating 90! I come around set up the approach come across the fence at 65 hold err off hold err off, power back a little---oh! Cross wind left aileron hold--- hold-- a little—oh—bounce-- more power—ease it out—rudder -- and then settle to the runway. MAN! I had such a grasp on the stick my arm now feels like I’ve been to the gym. You may remember my post about air speed and could not get over 60 mph. I did just a few hops and when we went to the dry lake bead the oil seal .went out. So the time in the air has been minimal. I’m surprised John H or some one did not spot my problem at MV. No pitch! In the time we had spent on doing the repair from the 4th of July incident I forgot where to pick the pitch with the protractor. We had maybe 5 or 6 degrees only. I’m embarrassed to admit we did not look for the proper procedure to pith the prop. John I put the X back on the extra along with your pitch number as a starting point, using the protractor at the tip of the blade This bird wants blue sky!!. A few years ago the speed we saw was 80 mph with doors off. today 90 with doors off and lower power settings with the cowling. The temps were good, but today was a cool 70 degrees in Maricopa. It looks good.
Have lots of success this year in all you do, and happy flying!
Uncle craig
Do not archive

mail Forum -
t">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
; - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: